Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 01:28 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Again Polo, what difference does it make to this thread how much of New York State's wealth comes from New York City? The city is still part of New York State. You do understand New York State INCLUDES New York City?

Again, this thread is STATE vs STATE, not STATE vs. CITY.
Exactly, that's why NYC having a higher GDP than Texas top 10 cities put together should IRRELEVANT when Texas has the slightly higher GDP overall than the state of NY. No one said TX should be number 1, but one would have to be CRAZY to think TX isn't up there with NY in importance. CA is far and ahead of both anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 01:34 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Again Polo, what difference does it make to this thread how much of New York State's wealth comes from New York City? The city is still part of New York State. You do understand New York State INCLUDES New York City?

Again, this thread is STATE vs STATE, not STATE vs. CITY.
Yes, it is STATE VS. STATE. But given that, why would NYC be more than all the Texas cities combined? DFW-Houston can stay on par with NYC economically, both together have a larger number of Fortune 500 companies than NYC, and the port of Houston is larger than NYC, and lets not forget their GDP would be on par with NYC. STATE VS. STATE, Texas is leading with NYS following it. Just as California is leading with Texas following it.

Last edited by DANNYY; 04-10-2010 at 01:49 PM..

Old 04-10-2010, 01:34 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Exactly, that's why NYC having a higher GDP than Texas top 10 cities put together should IRRELEVANT when Texas has the slightly higher GDP overall than the state of NY. No one said TX should be number 1, but one would have to be CRAZY to think TX isn't up there with NY in importance. CA is far and ahead of both anyway.
I am not sure if I am following you. Are you trying to say that New York State should not count NYC's wealth because it is not fair to Texas?

Old 04-10-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I am not sure if I am following you. Are you trying to say that New York State should not count NYC's wealth because it is not fair to Texas?
No, I think ALL of NY state should be counted, from LI to Niagara Falls. Someone was trying to say that NYC has a higher GDP than all of Texas largest cities put together, but that's irrelevant, because TX as a WHOLE has a slightly higher GDP then NY as a WHOLE. That person was trying to use NYC to show people how MASSIVE NYC's economy is because NYC by it's self is comparable to Texas largest cities put together as far as economy goes. But that's irrelevant.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yes, it is STATE VS. STATE. But given that, why would NYC be more than all the Texas cities combined? DFW-Houston can stay on par with NYC economically, both together have a larger number of Fortune 500 companies than NYC, and the port of Houston is larger than NYC, and lets not forget their GDP would be on par with NYC. STATE VS. STATE, Texas is leading with NYC following it. Just as California is leading with Texas following it.
Look at your post --- your still comparing just NYC with the entire Lone Star State! I am not saying New York City is not a great Alpha city but this is not the subject of the thread.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
No I don't think that's what he meant. I follow what he was trying to say, and he can correct me if I'm wrong but this is what it sounds like:

It's irrelevant to compare NYC supreme over 10 Texas cities because yes, we're talking about State to State.
He acknowledges that NYC's GDP is higher than any city in Texas, but not more than 10 combined cities in Texas.
Also that there is a lack of support in NYS's GDP from up state NY, as compared to Texas having a diverse economy and every city contributing efficient amounts to keep the state of Texas ahead of NY, in GDP growth and total GDP numberings.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
No I don't think that's what he meant. I follow what he was trying to say, and he can correct me if I'm wrong but this is what it sounds like:

It's irrelevant to compare NYC supreme over 10 Texas cities because yes, we're talking about State to State.
He acknowledges that NYC's GDP is higher than any city in Texas, but not more than 10 combined cities in Texas.
Also that there is a lack of support in NYS's GDP from up state NY, as compared to Texas having a diverse economy and every city contributing efficient amounts to keep the state of Texas ahead of NY, in GDP growth and total GDP numberings.
That is EXACTLY what I was trying to say, WORD for WORD.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Look at your post --- your still comparing just NYC with the entire Lone Star State! I am not saying New York City is not a great Alpha city but this is not the subject of the thread.
Whatthedevil? In my post I compared NYC to DFW-Houston NOT the whole state of Texas.

I already acknowledged that it's a state to state conversation. And for the record I acknowledge that NYC ranks supreme comared to any ONE single city in Texas.

Do you acknowledge Texas's GDP is higher than NYS?

Ohh and if you're talking about my statement in the last post saying "Texas is leading with NYC following it", it was a typo, I meant to type NYS, but accidentally wrote NYC, I know NYC isn't a state. I'm sorry for the misconception if you misunderstood what I meant.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
No, I think ALL of NY state should be counted, from LI to Niagara Falls. Someone was trying to say that NYC has a higher GDP than all of Texas largest cities put together, but that's irrelevant, because TX as a WHOLE has a slightly higher GDP then NY as a WHOLE. That person was trying to use NYC to show people how MASSIVE NYC's economy is because NYC by it's self is comparable to Texas largest cities put together as far as economy goes. But that's irrelevant.
Ok, I hear you Polo.

For the record of some NYC people --- NYC would not even exist in its current form if it was not for the State of New York.

It was the STATE which built the Erie Canal, which led to NYC exploding in population (not to mention Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Toledo, Chicago, Milwaukee etc).

It was the STATE which allowed NYC to annex the 200+ year old surrounding communities in Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, Staten Island etc. They could have instead kept NYC penned up on Manhattan Island and made a Metropolitian area instead.

It is the STATE which allows New York City to draw almost its ENTIRE WATER SUPPLY from the Delaware, Croton Valley and Catskill Mountains.

I think you get the picture!

Last edited by LINative; 04-10-2010 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-10-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Whatthedevil? In my post I compared NYC to DFW-Houston NOT the whole state of Texas.

I already acknowledged that it's a state to state conversation. And for the record I acknowledge that NYC ranks supreme comared to any ONE single city in Texas.

Do you acknowledge Texas's GDP is higher than NYS?

Ohh and if you're talking about my statement in the last post saying "Texas is leading with NYC following it", it was a typo, I meant to type NYS, but accidentally wrote NYC, I know NYC isn't a state. I'm sorry for the misconception if you misunderstood what I meant.
Well, before you fixed it you wrote "Texas is leading with NYC following", what the hell am I supposed to think, LOL.

Yes, I know Texas has a larger GDP and population than New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City