Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please vote for the best rail outside N.E., Chicago, Bay
Atlanta 55 29.57%
Cleveland 10 5.38%
Dallas 10 5.38%
Denver 4 2.15%
Detroit 0 0%
Houston 3 1.61%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Kansas City 1 0.54%
Los Angeles 58 31.18%
Miami 3 1.61%
Minneapolis 3 1.61%
Orlando 0 0%
Pittsburgh 1 0.54%
Phoenix 2 1.08%
Portland 14 7.53%
Saint Louis 2 1.08%
Salt Lake 2 1.08%
San Diego 1 0.54%
Seattle 7 3.76%
Tampa 1 0.54%
Other 9 4.84%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:34 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Why isn't San Francisco on this list? From what statistics show, they've got a great rail system, which I would put a little behind cities like NYC, Boston, Philly, DC, and Chicago....then after SF I'd probably put LA or Atlanta.
He mentioned SF in his first post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 09:39 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Why isn't San Francisco on this list? From what statistics show, they've got a great rail system, which I would put a little behind cities like NYC, Boston, Philly, DC, and Chicago....then after SF I'd probably put LA or Atlanta.
Yeah I know. I pointed out in my original post that the Bay Area's BART and other rail lines probably out do MARTA. But, the Bay Area is much larger than Atlanta. I believe MARTA is probably the King of systems among similar sized cities and L.A..

Old 06-23-2009, 09:39 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
The issues with MARTA:

1) While it does have a decent coverage area, Atlanta is unfortunately sprawled like L.A., so the coverage area isn't that great per the area that needs to be covered. Likewise, the suburban counties have been very slow to get any type of decent systems of their own on the map to hook up to MARTA, so there are still huge gaping holes in coverage in the metro area - many areas not being served by any system at all.

2) Since at least the mid-1980s, MARTA's leadership has had one controversy over another. At one point one of them were being investigated for possibly pocketing money. Then another for misuse of funds. Then another was accused of awarding construction contracts to minority businesses without allowing other contractors to fairly bid on the projects. Last year one of the top guys was arrested for having sex in the men's room of the Atlanta airport. The most current leader threatened the State recently saying if they did not provide funds, she would "shut all Friday service off altogether" - which came across basically as a terrorist threat to State leaders rather than a card to be played. So, to end # 2, they haven't been the best at handling money themselves, and they seem to attract and hire/elect "odd" leaders.

3) MARTA doesn't receive State funds, so all expansion has pretty much come to a complete halt. This is a State issue, but due to # 2 above, the State isn't going to offer them anything with current leadership, either. It's a "we hate them and they hate us and that's ok" type of attitude right now.

4) Security: MARTA has boasted a large police force for many years, but one thing you hear a lot from riders is that they rarely see a uniformed officer actually ON the trains at all. You might see several of them socializing in groups at some of the stations, though. We've been pretty lucky in that (so far) crime isn't out of control on the trains, but unfortunately, situations like "Soulja Girl" (below) are happening more often, with no police to stop it before it gets nutty....

When I moved to Atlanta in the mid-80s, MARTA was in the middle of some large expansions and had they kept going at that pace, it would probably be twice the system it is today. It's still an ok and workable system, but not up to the potential it could have been by now. But I have hopes that eventually, Atlanta will be graced with a competent new Mayor, that MARTA will eventually get a competent leader, and even the State of Georgia will (one day) get a progressive leader who will step in with assistance as well. Key words - "one day".

Old 06-23-2009, 09:41 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,164 times
Yeah. Despite these issues, MARTA still is the best outside Chicago, Northeast and Bay. Other cities have much less ridership per mile, meaning they have more of a coverage issue. The funding problem may hinder it in the future, but as long as it is running full service, it is still the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
The issues with MARTA:

1) While it does have a decent coverage area, Atlanta is unfortunately sprawled like L.A., so the coverage area isn't that great per the area that needs to be covered. Likewise, the suburban counties have been very slow to get any type of decent systems of their own on the map to hook up to MARTA, so there are still huge gaping holes in coverage in the metro area - many areas not being served by any system at all.

2) Since at least the mid-1980s, MARTA's leadership has had one controversy over another. At one point one of them were being investigated for possibly pocketing money. Then another for misuse of funds. Then another was accused of awarding construction contracts to minority businesses without allowing other contractors to fairly bid on the projects. Last year one of the top guys was arrested for having sex in the men's room of the Atlanta airport. The most current leader threatened the State recently saying if they did not provide funds, she would "shut all Friday service off altogether" - which came across basically as a terrorist threat to State leaders rather than a card to be played. So, to end # 2, they haven't been the best at handling money themselves, and they seem to attract and hire/elect "odd" leaders.

3) MARTA doesn't receive State funds, so all expansion has pretty much come to a complete halt. This is a State issue, but due to # 2 above, the State isn't going to offer them anything with current leadership, either. It's a "we hate them and they hate us and that's ok" type of attitude right now.

4) Security: MARTA has boasted a large police force for many years, but one thing you hear a lot from riders is that they rarely see a uniformed officer actually ON the trains at all. You might see several of them socializing in groups at some of the stations, though. We've been pretty lucky in that (so far) crime isn't out of control on the trains, but unfortunately, situations like "Soulja Girl" (below) are happening more often, with no police to stop it before it gets nutty....

When I moved to Atlanta in the mid-80s, MARTA was in the middle of some large expansions and had they kept going at that pace, it would probably be twice the system it is today. It's still an ok and workable system, but not up to the potential it could have been by now. But I have hopes that eventually, Atlanta will be graced with a competent new Mayor, that MARTA will eventually get a competent leader, and even the State of Georgia will (one day) get a progressive leader who will step in with assistance as well. Key words - "one day".

Old 06-23-2009, 09:46 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Right. Light rail is always slower than heavy rail. Besides, they don't carry as many people. Light rail is a low cost version of subway. If you got subway built in the past, you are lucky. Not the other way around. Even the highest ridership of light rail(Boston) doesn't compare to MARTA. Of course Boston doesn't mainly rely on light rail but for cities mainly relying on light rail like LA and Portland (Portland only has light rail and only has 3 lines), they can't compare with MARTA for ridership. Portland's light rail is famous for a city its size but when you compare public transportation, size doesn't really matter. More lines and more miles will provide more people with options to live close to the system and use it. The ridership (no matter how great this number is, it will still be significantly smaller than a midsize city)would prove that.
So true. It's even much more expensive for cities like Houston and Dallas to have a subway system because of our soil. Houston system is advancing (even though it's all light rail), but it's better nothing. I just wish they would've at least elevated the system.

Metro Coming Attractions: Previewing Houston’s New Light Rail Lines » Swamplot: Houston’s Real Estate Landscape

Old 06-23-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
The issues with MARTA:

Quote:
Ditto A.G. . I think if you coupled MARTAs longevity and infrastructure with a state and local government with the progressiveness and competence of say Denver's Marta would be a shinning jewel for sure.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:52 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
L.A.'s Metro is better than Marta, just for being in Los Angeles.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:55 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Yeah I know. I pointed out in my original post that the Bay Area's BART and other rail lines probably out do MARTA. But, the Bay Area is much larger than Atlanta. I believe MARTA is probably the King of systems among similar sized cities and L.A..
Whoops, my bad I missed that! I also missed where you said MARTA was maybe outdone by Boston?!

Old 06-23-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Oh @#%! Greg! You had to bring up the infamous Soulja Girl . Oh well, there's probably one in your city too and there are certainly plenty of crazies like this on the NYC train lines let me tell you. But we aren't talking about them. Hey but I least she launched a dozen decent remix videos on youtube. Given thousands of bored folks out there something to watch.

And don't worry. Your ride on the MARTA is more likely to look like one of these videos than that one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm6c0HjkhCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znqdrO_3IAI(Hopefully minus the crying baby. Great view of Buckhead at end.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LISH8oToqMQ(view of Downtown)

Last edited by Galounger; 06-23-2009 at 10:40 AM..

Old 06-23-2009, 10:13 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
Yes, after New York, Chicago, The Bay area, DC, Philadelphia, and Boston: Atlanta is the best. Awesome!!!

Now, somebody give me my hat so I can leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City