U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Please vote for the best rail outside N.E., Chicago, Bay
Atlanta 27 30.34%
Cleveland 7 7.87%
Dallas 6 6.74%
Denver 3 3.37%
Detroit 0 0%
Houston 1 1.12%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Kansas City 0 0%
Los Angeles 20 22.47%
Miami 1 1.12%
Minneapolis 1 1.12%
Orlando 0 0%
Pittsburgh 1 1.12%
Phoenix 1 1.12%
Portland 10 11.24%
Saint Louis 1 1.12%
Salt Lake 2 2.25%
San Diego 1 1.12%
Seattle 1 1.12%
Tampa 0 0%
Other 6 6.74%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2009, 11:18 AM

4,496 posts, read 4,367,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Oh @#%! Greg! You had to bring up the infamous Soulja Girl . Oh well, there's probably one in your city too and there are certainly plenty of crazies like this on the NYC train lines let me tell you. But we aren't talking about them. Hey but I least she launched a dozen decent remix videos on youtube. Given thousands of bored folks out there something to watch.

And don't worry. Your ride on the MARTA is more likely to look like one of these videos than that one.

YouTube - MARTA: Airport to East Point

YouTube - MARTA - Arts Center Station to Lenox Station: Doraville Line(Hopefully minus the crying baby. Great view of Buckhead at end.)

LOLOLOL, when I saw that video, I laughed so hard. I thought my brain was going to burst. Then a couple of other times, I saw that it was kind of sad. Doesn't she have bipolar or something??
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 11:42 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,393,423 times
D.c.?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:51 AM

2,714 posts, read 3,487,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
D.c.?
I left it out because it's a poll for systems outside the Northeast. The Metro is nice though. Atlanta's system was basically designed based on it.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:55 AM

925 posts, read 1,584,271 times
Quote:
Yeah I know. I pointed out in my original post that the Bay Area's BART and other rail lines probably out do MARTA. But, the Bay Area is much larger than Atlanta. I believe MARTA is probably the King of systems among similar sized cities and L.A..
The Bay area has a larger population than metro Atlanta, but it isn't significantly larger. In terms of built-up area, Atlanta is much more expansive than Bay area, which is only large north to south, often built narrowly around the San Francisco Bay.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:57 AM

5,843 posts, read 2,601,117 times
MARTA's 450,000 ridership per day is for the entire system, buses included. Just the heavy rail has a ridership of ~250,000 per day and 5,300 riders per mile, which ranks the rail system as 7th in the nation.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:59 AM

4,773 posts, read 9,692,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Yes, after New York, Chicago, The Bay area, DC, Philadelphia, and Boston: Atlanta is the best. Awesome!!!

Now, somebody give me my hat so I can leave.
ROFL

I'm pressin' charges.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:06 PM

13,436 posts, read 14,738,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
So true. It's even much more expensive for cities like Houston and Dallas to have a subway system because of our soil. Houston system is advancing (even though it's all light rail), but it's better nothing. I just wish they would've at least elevated the system.

Metro Coming Attractions: Previewing Houston’s New Light Rail Lines Swamplot: Houston’s Real Estate Landscape
That maybe Houston's problem. It certainly is not Dallas problem. And soil actually does not stop Houston from building a subway system. It's cost. Amsterdam has worse soil problems than Houston and they have a heavy rail subway system. Simply it's this, the FTA is not approving any heavy rail systems because they are unbelievably expensive. The only heavy rail system expanding is DC's system and it's not hard to know why. Heavy rail is what DART and Metro want. Heavy rail is what DART and Metro cannot afford. Dallas was suppose to build a system in the 1970s and it would mirror Washington DC and Atlanta's system. But politics came into play there. Dallas light rail though outside of downtown is a rapid transit system. Houston's system is more of a glorified streetcar/tram system.

I think eventually these two cities will get heavy rail. But this will happen when the state gets off it's oil infacuation and the voters get some of these politicians out of office. I do believe that the state is heading in that direction. I do like what Houston is doing and the system is doing it's job. It's setting up the inner city and the more populated density wise of the city first. Then they are going to worry about the rest of the area. But for that to work, they need heavy rail. Houston is too big for them to use light rail all over the metro. It would be a mistake to expand light rail in the form that they have it or any form to IAH or to Katy or to Sugarland or to Pearland.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:16 PM

925 posts, read 1,584,271 times
Quote:
I left it out because it's a poll for systems outside the Northeast. The Metro is nice though. Atlanta's system was basically designed based on it.
The DC system laid its first track no more than two or three years before the MARTA system, as far as I can recall. Relatively speaking, both systems are the same age. The DC system is much larger.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:18 PM

12,826 posts, read 19,306,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
L.A.'s Metro is better than Marta, just for being in Los Angeles.
Johnny, if you don't have anything constructive to add to the class discussion today, please go to the principal's office.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:19 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,487,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
MARTA's 450,000 ridership per day is for the entire system, buses included. Just the heavy rail has a ridership of ~250,000 per day and 5,300 riders per mile, which ranks the rail system as 7th in the nation.
I've read different figures on rail ridership but supposedly it's been way up since gas prices have recently risen. 7th place is about what I guessed. Behind New York, Philadelphia, Boston, D.C. (the East Coast Cities) and Chicago, San Francisco/Bay Area. But that puts it ahead of all the cities in the poll in ridership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City