U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Calgary 66 60.55%
Denver 43 39.45%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:49 PM

330 posts, read 335,614 times
Quote:
Somehow you think sprawl helps make a skyline. That is absurd!
I never said "sprawl helps make a skyline". I said a large metro population helps make a skyline because those office towers draw workers from the entire metro area - and this includes Denver. Are you really so stupid as to believe that every single person who works in downtown Denver lives within Denver city limits? I'm not asking this rhetorically, I really want an answer on this question.

You seem to expect Calgary to have enough office space for hundreds of thousands of office workers. I've asked you where you expect these workers to come from. There is only 1.2 million people within the metro area from which to draw. That's a total workforce of about 600,000. And that includes ALL workers, not just office workers who work for big companies that can afford space in a skyscraper. There isn't another metro area over 100,000 people for about 200 miles. So where are all these people supposed to come from to fill enough buildings to have a skyline on par with metro areas of 5 million people?

Old 07-06-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Or the fact that the 6900 figure is a CBD tally and not an entire downtown total???
Yes. Which is why you shouldn't have posted that number for "downtown Calgary". And downtown Denver doesn't have 63,000 people. There's only that many people if you include every in all the neighbourhoods around downtown for 2+ miles.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:54 PM

795 posts, read 1,553,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Two_Times View Post
Calgary's downtown even destroys Denver's pitiful downtown in retail offerings. As I'm sure you know, downtown Denver doesn't have a single department store left. Calgary still has three - The Bay, Sears, and Holt Renfrew. And yes, I know about Cherry Creek, but that's not downtown, nor is it even within walking distance of downtown. It's more than three miles away.

This is probably the largest department store in downtown Calgary. As you can see, it has six floors above ground. Not sure if there are any basement levels.
LA doesnt have its high end retail downtown. Does this make Calgary better for shopping than LA?

Does calagry even have high end shopping like what is found at cherry creek? Tiffanys, saks fifith, Neiman Marcus, Loui vaton, Cole Haan etc???

Old 07-06-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Yes. Which is why you shouldn't have posted that number for "downtown Calgary". And downtown Denver doesn't have 63,000 people. There's only that many people if you include every in all the neighbourhoods around downtown for 2+ miles.
What??? i said CBD and explained it wasnt the downtown total. Its right in front of you...

Old 07-06-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I never said "sprawl helps make a skyline". I said a large metro population helps make a skyline because those office towers draw workers from the entire metro area - and this includes Denver. Are you really so stupid as to believe that every single person who works in downtown Denver lives within Denver city limits? I'm not asking this rhetorically, I really want an answer on this question.

You seem to expect Calgary to have enough office space for hundreds of thousands of office workers. I've asked you where you expect these workers to come from. There is only 1.2 million people within the metro area from which to draw. That's a total workforce of about 600,000. And that includes ALL workers, not just office workers who work for big companies that can afford space in a skyscraper. There isn't another metro area over 100,000 people for about 200 miles. So where are all these people supposed to come from to fill enough buildings to have a skyline on par with metro areas of 5 million people?
The metro of a large city is urban sprawl...

And urban sprawl is counter to highrise development.

People move to a metro due to work already being downtown. People also move into a cities core in terms of residential living...something calgary has very little of

Old 07-06-2009, 01:03 PM

The only area downtown Denver beats downtown Calgary is having untold obscene amounts of vitality-killing surface parking lots. I'm not talking small parking lots that can hold 20-30 cars tucked between buildings on a lively street. I'm talking lots that cover 1/2 a city block or more, and completely preclude any kind of vibrancy in the immediate area. Just check out these aerials I snapped from Mapquest:

Old 07-06-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
something calgary has very little of
Calgary has way more highrise condos than Denver.

I don't know why you keep ignoring the same two questions.

DO YOU THINK EVERYONE WHO WORKS IN DOWNTOWN DENVER LIVES IN DENVER CITY LIMITS?

Don't keep ignoring this question. Answer it. It's a simple yes or no.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:

You've been saying how a large metro area creates a skyline. I wonder how you believe this? Dont you realize a skyline is largely due to a cities vision of urban planning? Not how many people live around that city...

I think its funny that you think that workers are the only thing that makes a skyline. tell that to the folks in Miami. Yes, when you have 20k plus folks living downtown you tend to get a few highrises...

Hey jimmy, why doesnt D.C. havent much of a skyline? i mean its metro is huge...way bigger than Denvers...and what about those european cities like London and France? Both of which have much weaker skylines than many med size American cities.

The simple fact is you're confused about what contributes to a cities skyline. Often the geography can play a role like SF where the city cant expand. Other factors include city planning. Like when Phoenix or San Jose builds an airport too close to their downtown.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Calgary has way more highrise condos than Denver.

I don't know why you keep ignoring the same two questions.

DO YOU THINK EVERYONE WHO WORKS IN DOWNTOWN DENVER LIVES IN DENVER CITY LIMITS?

Don't keep ignoring this question. Answer it. It's a simple yes or no.
Really? Then how come there are only 6900 people in its CBD? please explain this...

You're question is dumb and irrelvent

Old 07-06-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
The only area downtown Denver beats downtown Calgary is having untold obscene amounts of vitality-killing surface parking lots. I'm not talking small parking lots that can hold 20-30 cars tucked between buildings on a lively street. I'm talking lots that cover 1/2 a city block or more, and completely preclude any kind of vibrancy in the immediate area. Just check out these aerials I snapped from Mapquest:

And yet more people are living in downtown denver than Calgary...a lot more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City