Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Midwestern/Rust Belt City has the most historic architecture
Minneapolis 3 3.80%
Milwaukee 5 6.33%
Saint Louis 13 16.46%
Louisville 1 1.27%
Cincinnati 3 3.80%
Cleveland 13 16.46%
Pittsburgh 19 24.05%
Buffalo 9 11.39%
Detroit 13 16.46%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:50 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Detroit has one of the nation's largest collections of historic architecture. If only we had enough people to do something with it...

I'd post lots if not for the five pic limit. Just go peruse the mountains of photo collections.

Exploring Detroit's beautiful ruins. - By Witold Rybczynski - Slate Magazine

It's a crime against art that so much of this stuff stays unoccupied.
I agree. Looking at these photos of Detroit the downtown area it is very easy to tell how similar Detroit is to Cleveland. Looking at these photos reminds me of my visit to Downtown Cleveland...the architectural similarities, traffic lights, and feel are almost identical...same thing with the overall flatness. Only difference however is that Cleveland is on a Great Lake, and most of downtown is actually free of abandoned buildings and thriving. Detroit looks like a ghost town in these photos, much like parts of North St. Louis except it has whole skyscrapers standing vacant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 07:55 AM

888 posts, read 886,234 times
Louisville (which is an honorary member of the midwest, LOL) is on the border with Indiana, and has an interesting collection of historic architecture in Old Louisville, so I included it. Columbus was omitted, because it doesn't have a large collection of historic architecture as the other cities do. It would never win this poll. Indianapolis would fall in the same line as Columbus.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
Louisville (which is an honorary member of the midwest, LOL) is on the border with Indiana, and has an interesting collection of historic architecture in Old Louisville, so I included it. Columbus was omitted, because it doesn't have a large collection of historic architecture as the other cities do. It would never win this poll. Indianapolis would fall in the same line as Columbus.
i hope you were joking about Louisville being an honorary member of the Midwest. All it takes is one visit to that city to realize how "un-Midwestern" it is. Louisville has as much Southern culture as Nashville and Memphis. It may geographically resemble the Midwest, but architecturally, culturally, and historically it definitely does not.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:06 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
i hope you were joking about Louisville being an honorary member of the Midwest. All it takes is one visit to that city to realize how "un-Midwestern" it is. Louisville has as much Southern culture as Nashville and Memphis. It may geographically resemble the Midwest, but architecturally, culturally, and historically it definitely does not.
How does it geographically resemble it?

Old 06-28-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
How does it geographically resemble it?
It doesn't feel incredibly different from the landscape of Southern Indiana, though it does have clear river bluffs. Look, Louisville clearly has Midwestern influences, you would have to be blind not to see them, but you would also have to be blind not to see that it has MANY more Southern characteristics, so it is a decidedly Southern city. When I drove from Louisville to St. Louis, I was surprised by the change crossing the Ohio River, and how northern St. Louis, Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Indianapolis felt compared to Louisville. Louisville clearly doesn't belong in the Midwest.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I wasn't joking.
It's my poll, and I can include Louisville if I want. (LOL, of course)

It's true that Louisville is "southern", but it really does have some great historical architecture.

Plus everytime I go there for a business trip, my clients always give me Bourbon to drink at lunchtime. That makes for an excellent produtive afternoon.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:27 AM

767 posts, read 2,066,116 times
Quote:
It doesn't feel incredibly different from the landscape of Southern Indiana, though it does have clear river bluffs. Look, Louisville clearly has Midwestern influences, you would have to be blind not to see them, but you would also have to be blind not to see that it has MANY more Southern characteristics, so it is a decidedly Southern city. When I drove from Louisville to St. Louis, I was surprised by the change crossing the Ohio River, and how northern St. Louis, Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Indianapolis felt compared to Louisville. Louisville clearly doesn't belong in the Midwest.

I agree completely with this post. Louisville is clearly much different than places like Indy and Cincinnati (even thought they are both only 100 miles away). To me anyway, Louisville seemed alot more like Nashville or Memphis in terms of dialects, terrain, and culture. Louisville bears hardly any sinilarity at all to nothern midwestern cities like Cleveland, Detroit, and Chicago.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:45 PM

87 posts, read 180,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
I assume you never been to Columbus.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:38 PM

I've actually been there several times, but I've never lived there. There's a major company in Columbus with whom I worked on several projects.
I guess I did not want to put 3 Ohio cities on the list.
You could choose "other", and then slam me on the comments section.
I'd have to put Toledo on there as well, and maybe Dayton and Akron, and then I'd have this Ohio thing going.
Columbus does have historical architecture, but compared to cities like St. Louis, it has a much newer feel to it. BTW, I like Columbus - I almost was transferred there, but ...

Old 06-28-2009, 03:40 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Columbus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City