Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger Impact on American Pop Culture?
San Francisco Bay Area, California 59 62.11%
chic-land, midwest 36 37.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 11:27 AM

455 posts, read 1,018,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
I do not really care where you are located, neither I care about post that as argument simply state: "There is A LOT that Chicago offers that draws people in" withouth giving ANY examples. Try me, tell me what attraction could make a New Yorker come to Chicago other than visiting his parents
You didn't answer my question. What is your fascination with Chicago? If it has such a bad image in America as you state, why do you waste the time with bashing it in every post? Shouldn't you be above it? The more you bash it, the more significant you make the city seem, as you are giving it attention. It is obviously worthy of your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 12:00 PM

318 posts, read 321,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
You didn't answer my question. What is your fascination with Chicago? If it has such a bad image in America as you state, why do you waste the time with bashing it in every post? Shouldn't you be above it? The more you bash it, the more significant you make the city seem, as you are giving it attention. It is obviously worthy of your time.
For off-topic questions we use PM.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:16 PM

116 posts, read 245,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
If you think about it the reason for it is that Chicago is so isolated from the rest of the big US cities that Chicagoans simply do not know what the rest of country thinks about them. Chicago is the self-proclaimed inventor of anything
Chicago isolated? Looks pretty much in the center of everything to me. If anything California cities are the most isolated with pretty much no big cities to speak of anywhere nearby.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:27 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post
Chicago isolated? Looks pretty much in the center of everything to me. If anything California cities are the most isolated with pretty much no big cities to speak of anywhere nearby.
Oh my goodness enough already with this annoying light pollution photo!!! This is like the 4th time in 2 days you've posted that pic. We get it already!! Like I said in the other thread,

Old 06-27-2009, 03:43 PM

116 posts, read 245,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Oh my goodness enough already with this annoying light pollution photo!!! This is like the 4th time in 2 days you've posted that pic. We get it already!! Like I said in the other thread,
This is the second time I've seen you say the same thing so, likewise, I "get it already."

No but seriously sometimes you have to bring up the same thing over and over again for different people. It's what I do every day at work. I like how you try to downplay it as just "light pollution" and not urban development though. Come on jman. You sound like a reasonable poster. I've been to San Francisco multiple times and there are just as many street lights on the roads as anywhere else. But you can't hang street lights where no one lives. Hence the map. But for your pleasure I posted another map, specifically population density, in another thread. For your sake I will not post it here.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:16 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
The problem with Chicago is its isolated in a way that it doesn't have a true alternative city in the Midwest or a city that can draw just as many people. Lets get real, nobody wants to visit Indianapolis. Chicagoland alternative state is Indiana, which is one of the most boring states in the country. NYC have New Jersey which I'm sure is better than NW Indiana. I live close to the Northwest Indiana border and I rarely go to Indiana. Plus over the state line, you have run down cities like Gary and East Chicago.

I love Chicago, but its in a not so desirable location. Least we have a huge lake that is pretty cool though.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:16 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post
This is the second time I've seen you say the same thing so, likewise, I "get it already."

No but seriously sometimes you have to bring up the same thing over and over again for different people. It's what I do every day at work. I like how you try to downplay it as just "light pollution" and not urban development though. Come on jman. You sound like a reasonable poster. I've been to San Francisco multiple times and there are just as many street lights on the roads as anywhere else. But you can't hang street lights where no one lives. Hence the map. But for your pleasure I posted another map, specifically population density, in another thread. For your sake I will not post it here.
Lol no its all good. And I do sympathize with the need for repetition in order to drive home a point. I often end up having to reiterate and break things down in detail in order to drive home my point, so I understand. Its just that I had seen that pic several times consecutively, and then right after commenting once I'd seen that you'd just posted it again. No big deal tho.

You're right tho, I was trying to downplay it. I didn't mean to in the sense that light pollution was a bad thing or that SF doesn't have it, but I was in that I was trying to diminish the effectiveness of that pic. I fully got your point tho. That map is reflective of the denseness of population and development throughout the country. Don't worry about avoiding posting things for my sake, I'm not out to get you or anything. Actually you seem like a decent, intelligent dude. I was just reacting to the repetition, so sorry if it came off as an attack.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:44 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
First off- Michael Jordan is from Wilmington, North Carolina, not Chicago. Oprah is from Mississippi. So if we include them for "Chicago" we must include everyone who is even loosely associated with San Francisco as well.

So lets see -

Jack Kerouac
Allen Ginsburg
Ken Kesey
Hunter S. Thompson
The Grateful Dead
Janis Joplin
Ansel Adams
Gary Snyder
Clint Eastwood
OJ Simpson
Carlos Santana
Joe Montana
Joe Dimaggio
Jefferson Airplane
Sly and the Family Stone

Chicago, I associate with a particular style of electric blues, gangsters, and crooked politicians. I haven't seen a very thorough list yet, but I'm skeptical it is as influential as SF.

Yes, Oprah and MJ weren't born in Chicago, but contributed their "pop culture" influence while in Chicago.

Its fine to bring up where they were born; however someone earlier in the thread listed all the people that were from Chicago, and it was shot down. You pro-Sf'er cant have it both ways !!!

Old 06-28-2009, 02:33 AM

125 posts, read 448,339 times
Chicago-

Hillary Clinton
Jesse Jackson
Barack Obama
Donald Rumsfeld
Michael Jordan
Mike Ditka
Da Bears
The untouchables
Kanye West
Fall out boy
Smashing pumpkins
bo diddly
disturbed
r kelly
muddy waters
mcdonalds
skyscrapers
jim and john belushi
bill murray
tom berenger
mr T
oprah
harold raimis
bob newhart
bernie mac
charlton heston
hugh hefner
harrison ford
steve carell
john dillinger
chicago pizza
the blues brothers
al capone

..also the dark knight and ferris buhlers day off were filmed there

and to top it off william paley(the founder of CBS) is from chicago

Old 06-28-2009, 02:56 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,903 times
Don't forget that cellular phone was invented in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City