Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger Impact on American Pop Culture?
San Francisco Bay Area, California 59 62.11%
chic-land, midwest 36 37.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 02:01 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Yes, Oprah and MJ weren't born in Chicago, but contributed their "pop culture" influence while in Chicago.

Its fine to bring up where they were born; however someone earlier in the thread listed all the people that were from Chicago, and it was shot down. You pro-Sf'er cant have it both ways !!!
I agree. Where people are born is irrelevant unless they either grew up in that city/place or they are somehow associated with it in some other way. What matters is what comes to mind when you hear their name or where they identify with (eg: Michael Jordan/Chicago, Joe Montana/SF). NC and PA still have a claim to both of them respectively as well IMO, just like SF does to Tom Brady. So I think there can be multiple places that can claim certain individuals and I don't think either side should be limited when it comes to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 05:24 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,603 times
Interesting thread. The Chicago bashing seriously needs to stop. Actually the Californians **** me off more than "midwesterners" because they seem to be the most provincial as I am looking through various threads.

Chicago has a rich history the past 150 years and it was, for a very long time, America's 2nd most prominent city. Even today it still has some characteristics of being America's 2nd most prominent city, shared by Los Angeles. Chicago has not only been a dominant city in America, but a dominant city worldwide the past century. From this reeasoning, I am sure Chicago has endless contributions to pop culture.

However, I must admit that San Francisco's influence to pop culture is more visible than that of Chicago. The hippie era, Gay Rights Movement, technology, the internet, computers, iphone lol. However, I will not underestimate Chicago's impact in theater, music, literature, politics and science.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:21 AM

464 posts, read 1,079,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Interesting thread. The Chicago bashing seriously needs to stop. Actually the Californians **** me off more than "midwesterners" because they seem to be the most provincial as I am looking through various threads.

Chicago has a rich history the past 150 years and it was, for a very long time, America's 2nd most prominent city. Even today it still has some characteristics of being America's 2nd most prominent city, shared by Los Angeles. Chicago has not only been a dominant city in America, but a dominant city worldwide the past century. From this reeasoning, I am sure Chicago has endless contributions to pop culture.

However, I must admit that San Francisco's influence to pop culture is more visible than that of Chicago. The hippie era, Gay Rights Movement, technology, the internet, computers, iphone lol. However, I will not underestimate Chicago's impact in theater, music, literature, politics and science.
Chicago will always be America's "Second City" no matter what it ranks in population. It gave being #2 a good rep. America's true big cities will and always will be (IMO)

NYC
Chicago
Philadelphia
Detroit
D.C
Boston
Pittsburgh
Cincinatti
Cleveland
L.A (to an extent)

Now go ahead and quote me and bash some more

Old 06-29-2009, 04:25 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Chicago will always be America's "Second City" no matter what it ranks in population. It gave being #2 a good rep. America's true big cities will and always will be (IMO)

NYC
Chicago
Philadelphia
Detroit
D.C
Boston
Pittsburgh
Cincinatti
Cleveland
L.A (to an extent)

Now go ahead and quote me and bash some more
I just wanted to point out the irony here of a poster quoting someone who'd mentioned Californians being too provincial, and then answered that by declaring America's only true big cities to be in the North/Northeast. I mean, kudos to you on extending your provincial little realm to include what some might consider a separate region (plus LA to an extent ). How worldly of you. But on this thread do you seriously consider Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh to be more important or "truer" big US cities than San Francisco?? Way to set back the dignity of the team of Chicago posters again. If you're gonna behave like that, don't complain when LANightmare and others throw it back in your face.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:45 AM

246 posts, read 758,961 times
Are you joking?

Let's see...the entire 60's? Grateful Dead, Creedence Clearwater, Jefferson Airplane, Haight-Ashbury, etc. etc...

Hip-hop artists like 2pac, movements like The Black Panthers...

Yes, technology and the internet...

It goes on and on. This thread is a joke...The bay area is easily top 3 in terms of cultural influence. Chicago is barely top 6 or 7 (NYC, LA, San Francisco, New Orleans, Seattle, Boston, Philly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Settle down buddy . The thread is about the impact to American pop culture. Whether you like Oprah or not, she has had an enormous impact in pop culture. Is there someone similar in or SF that can compete? Hell, we can even bring McDonalds into the mix. Yeah, you can talk about their crappy food and how it started in CA, but it wasn;t until its Chicagoland days did it become into the behemoth known around the world as it is today; Golden Arches, Ronald McDonald, Happy Meals; thats pretty impressive. There you have it; two simple example which have a great impact to American Pop Culture.

So lets hear other arguments for SF; im not dissing it by any means, but just scrolling through the post, I dont see that much supporting data other than a blurb about Apple/Google, and pointed remarks against Chicago.

BTW, we all know that Perfect Strangers was the far superior show on the TGIF lineup

Old 06-29-2009, 05:31 AM

116 posts, read 245,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
Are you joking?

Let's see...the entire 60's? Grateful Dead, Creedence Clearwater, Jefferson Airplane, Haight-Ashbury, etc. etc...
Who?

Partly kidding.

Quote:
Hip-hop artists like 2pac, movements like The Black Panthers...
I never think of the Bay Area when I think of Hip-Hop. Atlanta maybe. New York definitely.

Quote:
Yes, technology and the internet...
The Internet? LOL. Come on now. Some nice big companies with popular web sites out there but the INTERNET!? That started as a government project in the military.

Quote:
It goes on and on. This thread is a joke...The bay area is easily top 3 in terms of cultural influence. Chicago is barely top 6 or 7 (NYC, LA, San Francisco, New Orleans, Seattle, Boston, Philly)
You have a point with the 60's. I am 30 years old and wasn't alive back then but anytime I think of a hippie liberal flowerchild I do think of San Francisco.

As far as everything else, the cities are about even. I mean, when I'm talking on my cell phone, hearing Kanye on the radio, watching a Presidential address for some new stimulus bill, all while eating a McDonald's hamburger and seeing a skyscraper go by, and oops, my fly is open so I have to use a zipper to zip it up, all these things come from Chicago, but I don't ever think about it that way and neither does 99.9% of America. Likewise while people are using Google and surfing on their IPOD they aren't thinking of Apple and Google Inc in the Bay Area.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:16 AM

318 posts, read 320,983 times
Quote:
Interesting thread. The Chicago bashing seriously needs to stop.

Chicago has a rich history the past 150 years and it was, for a very long time, America's 2nd most prominent city. Even today it still has some characteristics of being America's 2nd most prominent city, shared by Los Angeles. Chicago has not only been a dominant city in America, but a dominant city worldwide the past century. From this reeasoning, I am sure Chicago has endless contributions to pop culture. .

Chicago bashing has to stop so Chicago boasting can start?

I do not think of Chicago as the second most prominent city. Historically there were other more prominent cities in the US: Philly, Boston and DC have always been America's prominent cities only at the very end losing their stature to New York. All of the mentioned above cities had profound impact on the US politics and culture, in my opinion much more profound than Chicago which is simply to young to score a real impact on anything.
Now, talking about the world... Being in Europe right now I can't think of one aspect where Chicago has ever dominated or influenced the world.
DC as the capitol of the most powerful nation in the world, NY as a financial and cultural giant, LA as a global entertainement hub, but Chicago? How? When?

It seems to me that the so-called Chicago bashing only exists in your minds as a reaction to whenever the rest of the country or the world does not agree with your own assesement of your own city.

Last edited by thefinalcut; 06-29-2009 at 09:29 AM..

Old 06-29-2009, 09:26 AM

322 posts, read 800,380 times
^^ I don't think anyone but chic-landers think of chic as one of the top two cities in this country

L.A/Manhattan
SF/DC

boom

Old 06-29-2009, 09:35 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
I just don't like how people from California automatically assume their cities have a greater influence just because they are from California. If that makes sense

Ooh and while we're on the top of Cali cities..

San Diego/San Fran >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LA!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:35 AM

94 posts, read 281,913 times
Quote:
^^ I don't think anyone but chic-landers think of chic as one of the top two cities in this country

L.A/Manhattan
SF/DC

boom
Hehe it's so funny when you refer to NYC as Manhattan in the NYC vs LA thread it makes them all tick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City