U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which state is overall a better state, NC or GA?
North Carolina 35 33.33%
Georgia 70 66.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2009, 06:11 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
7,853 posts, read 9,205,770 times
Reputation: 5868
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
So in other words, Georgia is better??
hardly

 
Old 06-27-2009, 06:12 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
7,853 posts, read 9,205,770 times
Reputation: 5868
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
This is basically going to turn into a NC vs Atlanta tread. I think that NC overall is a better state than Ga. I also want to add that the NC mountains are just as close to North GA(Atlanta) as most of the NC big metros, so that's not much of an advantage unless you live in south GA.
Basically, I think Georgians NEED to turn this into a NC vs Atlanta thread.
 
Old 06-27-2009, 06:21 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island and Atlanta, GA
12,709 posts, read 18,637,645 times
Reputation: 5587
As far as topography goes, most of GA and NC are interchangeable...both are comprised of mountains, piedmont (foothills) and coastal plain. The coasts are where you see the most difference. NC has one of the most unique coastlines I've ever seen, but then so does GA. NC has Pamlico Sound and the Outer Banks, which go on forever and are austerely beautiful. GA has its' (more subtropical) coastline broken up into coastal islands that are separated by marsh, estuaries and rivers. The islands of GA are mostly of limited (or no) access to most would-be visitors, so what is there remains a mystery to them.
As far as cities and towns, I would have to give NC higher marks than GA...there are some really charming communities in both states, but NC seems to have a larger number of them.
 
Old 06-27-2009, 06:24 AM
 
Location: The City of Orange
1,526 posts, read 3,817,353 times
Reputation: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
This is basically going to turn into a NC vs Atlanta tread. I think that NC overall is a better state than Ga. I also want to add that the NC mountains are just as close to North GA(Atlanta) as most of the NC big metros, so that's not much of an advantage unless you live in south GA.
That's a good point, particularly if the OP is not simply asking what state is better, but rather what place among the two states might suit you best. If you crave a big city with close proximity to beautiful mountain scenery, Atlanta might be your best bet. When I lived there, I would frequently travel about two and a half hours to go hiking up in western NC. Splendid scenery. And Atlanta is closer than Charlotte to much of it.

Gotta go with the better beaches in NC though.
 
Old 06-27-2009, 06:41 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
7,853 posts, read 9,205,770 times
Reputation: 5868
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Also, I don't think that Charlotte and Raleigh combined will ever catch up to Atlanta because Atlanta has too much going for it right now....the world's busiest airport, CNN, several other Television stations and grows over 100,000 people annually. I don't think that Charlotte and Raleigh grows 50,000 people combined.
Why not check the facts first?

In 2007, the Charlotte and Raleigh metros grew a combined 133,776 in a total of only 9 counties (8 in NC and 1 in SC)

In 2008, the metros grew a combined 100,172 in the same 9 counties

These are not the numbers from the Combined Statistical Areas of Charlotte and Raleigh, which would more closely mimic the enormous county count of the Atlanta Metro. These are numbers just from the immediate metros themselves.

For comparision, Atlanta's growth for the same two years (151,063 and 114,989 respecitively) over its 28 counties.
 
Old 06-27-2009, 06:58 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
7,853 posts, read 9,205,770 times
Reputation: 5868
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
That's a good point, particularly if the OP is not simply asking what state is better, but rather what place among the two states might suit you best. If you crave a big city with close proximity to beautiful mountain scenery, Atlanta might be your best bet. When I lived there, I would frequently travel about two and a half hours to go hiking up in western NC. Splendid scenery. And Atlanta is closer than Charlotte to much of it.

Gotta go with the better beaches in NC though.
I can see where you are going with your train of thought. But....to give a nod to Georgia because Atlanta is closer to something in NC than it is to Charlotte is confusing to me. The fact remains that its still NC's Mountains and its still NC's Coast. These things are not in Georgia.
Now, if we were having a discussion comparing cities/metros, then I think your points are valid. But, we are not having that discussion. We are comparing two states.

So, while parts of NC's mountains are close to Atlanta (as are parts of NC's coast close to Tidewater Virginia), they still belong to North Carolina.

In the end, NC has a much more varied and dramatic landscape overall. Both states have vast Piedmonts and Coastal plains but NC's mountains and coastline that distinguish it.

As for how the population is distributed across each state, that's a matter of personal preference. If you prefer to have the major part of your population centered around one huge metro area, then Georgia is for you. If you prefer a variety of mid sized metros, each with its own personality and differentiated economy, then NC would probably be more to you liking.
 
Old 06-27-2009, 08:03 AM
 
2,671 posts, read 5,511,597 times
Reputation: 1392
North Carolina does have higher mountains and better beaches, but the downside is that NC is such a long state and everything is further apart. Like others mentioned, Atlanta is closer to the NC mountains than Charlotte is. Atlanta is only 1 and 1/2 hours from the mountains and 3 hrs from the coast. The North GA mountains and GA coast aren't bad either. Savannah is a nice city as well. Politically and culturally, NC recently is having more of a Northern influence and seems to be more progressive.
 
Old 06-27-2009, 08:25 AM
 
75 posts, read 129,230 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
North Carolina does have higher mountains and better beaches, but the downside is that NC is such a long state and everything is further apart. Like others mentioned, Atlanta is closer to the NC mountains than Charlotte is. Atlanta is only 1 and 1/2 hours from the mountains and 3 hrs from the coast. The North GA mountains and GA coast aren't bad either. Savannah is a nice city as well. Politically and culturally, NC recently is having more of a Northern influence and seems to be more progressive.
I live in Charlotte and have made many 1 1/2 hour trips to the mountains (Boone, Blowing Rock, Brevard, Hendersonville, ect) and 3 hour trips to the coast (Charleston and MB) , so that reasoning does not stand to favor GA over NC.

I do agree with the rest of your post though.
 
Old 06-27-2009, 10:56 AM
 
511 posts, read 741,671 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I can see where you are going with your train of thought. But....to give a nod to Georgia because Atlanta is closer to something in NC than it is to Charlotte is confusing to me. The fact remains that its still NC's Mountains and its still NC's Coast. These things are not in Georgia.
Now, if we were having a discussion comparing cities/metros, then I think your points are valid. But, we are not having that discussion. We are comparing two states.

So, while parts of NC's mountains are close to Atlanta (as are parts of NC's coast close to Tidewater Virginia), they still belong to North Carolina.

In the end, NC has a much more varied and dramatic landscape overall. Both states have vast Piedmonts and Coastal plains but NC's mountains and coastline that distinguish it.

As for how the population is distributed across each state, that's a matter of personal preference. If you prefer to have the major part of your population centered around one huge metro area, then Georgia is for you. If you prefer a variety of mid sized metros, each with its own personality and differentiated economy, then NC would probably be more to you liking.
The thing is when you are comparing the two states, NC is technically the better state; but that's not saying much. One of it's greatest assets is just as close to north Ga than most of NC. Your point that it's about personal preference is why I said this thread is going to turn into an Atlanta vs NC(all of it's major metros) thread.

Last edited by bgNCATL; 06-27-2009 at 11:21 AM..
 
Old 06-27-2009, 11:36 AM
 
4,816 posts, read 5,176,034 times
Reputation: 3000
Some of my friends in Charlotte are going to hate me for this, but oh well. They'll get over it.

Georgia wins hands down!!! Why? ATLANTA!!! Being that I lived in Atlanta (Lithonia to be exact) for a short while, it is EASY for me to say that North Carolina badly needs an Atlanta-like city. Charlotte is the closest thing NC has to Atlanta in terms of "big city" feel. However, there is a huge gap between Charlotte and Atlanta.

As for the future (15 to 20 years down the road) I am convinced Charlotte will close the wide gap between itself and Atlanta. Many of metro Atlanta's inner largest counties are slowing down in growth rate (it is the smaller counties on the fringes that are booming now). Charlotte's inner largest metro counties are just starting to boom (I call it the I-485 effect which is very similar to Atlanta's I-285 effect). By no means will Charlotte catch up to Atlanta in metro population. That is NOT what I meant when I said "close the wide gap between itself and Atlanta".

In 15 to 20 years, I believe Charlotte and Atlanta will be in the same tier for the first time (ie Chicago and Detroit). Metro Chicago is twice the size of Metro Detroit (10 million vs 5 million), however Chicago and Detroit are still two cities in similar leagues. I see metro Atlanta being nearly 8 million people in 20 years. However, I see metro Charlotte being nearly 3.5 million in 20 years.

As of now, Atlanta sits on 5.7 million CSA. Charlotte is at 2.3 million CSA. Most of Atlanta's next 2.3 million new residents will move to counties more than 30 miles away from downtown Atlanta. Most of Charlotte's next 1.2 million new residents will move to areas less than 30 miles from uptown Charlotte. This will result in Charlotte looking and feeling more like Atlanta simply because Charlotte's inner metro counties are going to catch up to Atlanta's inner metro counties extremely fast.

Like I said, as of now, Georgia wins hands down. As for the future, NC will soon offer a city on Atlanta's level (not Atlanta's size, just Atlanta's level).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top