Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is overall a better state, NC or GA?
North Carolina 35 33.33%
Georgia 70 66.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:49 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,298,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
Georgia is better IMO by far.
How so, by far?

Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 AM

15 posts, read 90,994 times
I lived in Atlanta off and on for most of my life. I now live in a coastal town in NC.

GA has more of a urban flashy feel. People in GA are big consumers and have the best shopping in the Southeast. You'll find a lot of sporting events in one concentrated area. In my experience there are a lot of great restaurants in town if you are a foodie. In the suburbs there are many chain restaurants that struggle to keep employees (the food quality and consistency struggle for this reason). Traffic, Traffic and more traffic. I spent the better portion of my day in the car just getting from one place to the next. Everything is new, new, new - no history since Atlanta was burned in the Civil War. Not as many day trips or weekend getaways as NC - if you like that sort of thing. Florida panhandle beaches 6 hours from Atlanta and GA/SC beaches 5 hours.

NC - More laid back and casual. The urban areas are more spread out between Charlotte and Raleigh and many fun cities to explore are Asheville, Wilmington, New Bern, Beaufort. NC also has a fabulous coastline with boating, fishing and beautiful beaches. There is more of a military presence in NC. Tons of history and historic places to visit. VA/DC area is an easy drive. Traffic does exist in Charlotte and Raleigh but these cities in no way compare to Atlanta's massive urban sprawl.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:18 AM

2,858 posts, read 4,612,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
How so, by far?
I said IMO which simply means out of the two states I like Georgia better by Far. Been to both, do not like anything about North Carolina other rushing through it on 85 and 95 trying to get to DC.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:49 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is too short! View Post
I lived in Atlanta off and on for most of my life. I now live in a coastal town in NC.

GA has more of a urban flashy feel. People in GA are big consumers and have the best shopping in the Southeast. You'll find a lot of sporting events in one concentrated area. In my experience there are a lot of great restaurants in town if you are a foodie. In the suburbs there are many chain restaurants that struggle to keep employees (the food quality and consistency struggle for this reason). Traffic, Traffic and more traffic. I spent the better portion of my day in the car just getting from one place to the next. Everything is new, new, new - no history since Atlanta was burned in the Civil War. Not as many day trips or weekend getaways as NC - if you like that sort of thing. Florida panhandle beaches 6 hours from Atlanta and GA/SC beaches 5 hours.

NC - More laid back and casual. The urban areas are more spread out between Charlotte and Raleigh and many fun cities to explore are Asheville, Wilmington, New Bern, Beaufort. NC also has a fabulous coastline with boating, fishing and beautiful beaches. There is more of a military presence in NC. Tons of history and historic places to visit. VA/DC area is an easy drive. Traffic does exist in Charlotte and Raleigh but these cities in no way compare to Atlanta's massive urban sprawl.
You appear to be offering your opinion of Atlanta, not Georgia (and even only the outer suburbs of Atlanta at that). Georgia urban and flashy? LOL

Old 03-02-2010, 09:24 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,856,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is too short! View Post
Everything is new, new, new - no history since Atlanta was burned in the Civil War.
Hold on--are you saying that the entire state of Georgia has no history because Atlanta was burned in the Civil War? That would be absolutely incorrect. Even if you're just talking about Atlanta, you'd be just as wrong.

Quote:
I said IMO which simply means out of the two states I like Georgia better by Far. Been to both, do not like anything about North Carolina other rushing through it on 85 and 95 trying to get to DC.
Well geesh, if the most you've done is just drive through the state, you know very little about it firsthand. You said you've been to NC, so I take it that that means you've spent some time exploring parts of the state other than cooped up in an automobile on your way to DC. So where exactly have you spent time?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Hold on--are you saying that the entire state of Georgia has no history because Atlanta was burned in the Civil War? That would be absolutely incorrect. Even if you're just talking about Atlanta, you'd be just as wrong.

Well geesh, if the most you've done is just drive through the state, you know very little about it firsthand. You said you've been to NC, so I take it that that means you've spent some time exploring parts of the state other than cooped up in an automobile on your way to DC. So where exactly have you spent time?
I have spent time in Gastonia, Fayetteville, Raleigh and Charlotte. It's a matter of opinion but I didn't like anything when I was there. I thought Raleigh was the best city and that mall seemed ok..Crabtree or something like that.

As where when I was GA, I spent time in Marietta, Atlanta, and Savannah. Also went to Calloway Gardens, visited Lake Lanier and that's why I fell in love with the state and it's one of my favorites..

I don't think it's fair that I have to explain myself because you don't agree with me or like what I'm saying.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I have spent time in Gastonia, Fayetteville, Raleigh and Charlotte. It's a matter of opinion but I didn't like anything when I was there. I thought Raleigh was the best city and that mall seemed ok..Crabtree or something like that.
LOL, wow...that explains it. Gastonia and Fayetteville, no comment. Sounds like you didn't do much at all in Raleigh and Charlotte, especially since the only thing you can remember is a mall of all things.

Quote:
As where when I was GA, I spent time in Marietta, Atlanta, and Savannah. Also went to Calloway Gardens, visited Lake Lanier and that's why I fell in love with the state and it's one of my favorites..
Well if you're more into the natural beauty, NC has tons of those things as well. The mountains, the Outer Banks, lots of lakes, etc.

Quote:
I don't think it's fair that I have to explain myself because you don't agree with me or like what I'm saying.
No, it's just obvious that you haven't experienced much of NC. I don't care if you like one over the other, but at least acknowledge that your basis for doing so isn't an equal one.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
LOL, wow...that explains it. Gastonia and Fayetteville, no comment. Sounds like you didn't do much at all in Raleigh and Charlotte, especially since the only thing you can remember is a mall of all things.

Well if you're more into the natural beauty, NC has tons of those things as well. The mountains, the Outer Banks, lots of lakes, etc.

No, it's just obvious that you haven't experienced much of NC. I don't care if you like one over the other, but at least acknowledge that your basis for doing so isn't an equal one.

I havent experienced too Much of GA either as a matter fact I only been in Metro Atlanta and Savannah as where I have been in 3 areas of NC...

It's obvious that you're kinda upset because of my opinion...If you want to choose NC just open a thread and title it NC vs SC or ALA.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I havent experienced too Much of GA either as a matter fact I only been in Metro Atlanta and Savannah as where I have been in 3 areas of NC...

It's obvious that you're kinda upset because of my opinion...If you want to choose NC just open a thread and title it NC vs SC or ALA.
To say, "I do not like anything about NC" when you haven't really even experienced much here is just silly. Don't be mad because I called you out on it. Like I said, at least preface your statement with that to give it some context. But I forgot, this is C-D where logic escapes a lot of people.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:11 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,396 times
I am a Charlotte native and I lived in Atlanta for 5 years. I have yet to see how Georgia offers way more than North Carolina. In fact I have yet to see how Atlanta has way more to offer than Charlotte. THe only difference between those two cities are metro populations and the fact that ATL has an mlb team. Both cities offer the same amenities albeit Atlanta has more in quantity in the metro area do to its population. They both offer major league sports, major sports championship games and tournaments. They both have nice museums, amusement parks, excellent shopping, nice up-scale neighborhoods,modern transportation, and progressive attitudes. In fact I see north Carolina and Georgia on the same level with maybe NC getting the edge because it has more major metro's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.