Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in Alabama or South Carolina?
Alabama 80 24.10%
South Carolina 252 75.90%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 08:02 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I also think it's important to note that Birmingham has a much more contentious relationship with the state of AL than Charleston, Greenville, or Columbia have with the state of SC, which is honestly pretty tame. By not having one "big city" in the state for rural legislators to hate on, SC overall does a little better in that regard. I also think SC being in a position where it has to play nice with its neighbors due to overlapping metros areas in both NC and GA (Charlotte, Myrtle Beach, Augusta, and essentially Savannah [although not in the same MSA/CSA, Hilton Head/Beaufort is right next door to Savannah and they share an airport and media markets]) ultimately benefits it as well.
Mrytle beach is in south carolina. And savannah airport doesn't effect charleston airport. Charleston airport isnthe biggest in the state. Nothing to do with savannah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 08:06 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Mrytle beach is in south carolina. And savannah airport doesn't effect charleston airport. Charleston airport isnthe biggest in the state. Nothing to do with savannah
I have absolutely no clue what any of that has to do with my post that you responded to. I don't think you understood my point at all.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:20 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,311 times
Quote:
I also think it's important to note that Birmingham has a much more contentious relationship with the state of AL than Charleston, Greenville, or Columbia have with the state of SC, which is honestly pretty tame. By not having one "big city" in the state for rural legislators to hate on.
While that is true. Atlanta and New Orleans have seem to overcome that to their benefit. The problem is that the vast majority of the Birmingham legislative delegation doesn't stand up fight for the Birmingham area down at the state house.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
While that is true. Atlanta and New Orleans have seem to overcome that to their benefit. The problem is that the vast majority of the Birmingham legislative delegation doesn't stand up fight for the Birmingham area down at the state house.
Not sure about NOLA, but Atlanta hasn't really overcome it (and it has historically had to fight both the state and its own suburbs, especially those to the north), although it seems that relations are starting to thaw somewhat as evidenced by noticeable changes in tone when it comes to MARTA. Atlanta just has the advantage of being the biggest and most influential metro by far in Georgia with no other metro coming close.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:11 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77;44448295. I also think SC being in a position where it has to play nice with its neighbors due to overlapping metros areas in both NC and GA (Charlotte, Myrtle Beach, Augusta, and essentially Savannah [although not in the same MSA/CSA, Hilton Head/Beaufort is right next door to Savannah and they share an airport and media markets
) ultimately benefits it as well.
Mrtyle beach is not in nc

Old 06-17-2016, 09:49 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,394,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
What so great about Greenville SC?
i ddn't say 'Alabama doesn't have anything like Greenville SC'.

I responded to 'SC doesn't have anything like Birmingham'.

I think the 3 large metroes in SC all have better downtowns than Birmingham. Especially Greenville.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:51 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,394,692 times
Brunswick County in NC is part of the MB MSA. MB stole it from Wilmington.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Mrtyle beach is not in nc
I never said it was. Allow me to repeat myself because I don't think you understood my point:

"I also think SC being in a position where it has to play nice with its neighbors due to overlapping metros areas in both NC and GA (Charlotte, Myrtle Beach, Augusta, and essentially Savannah [although not in the same MSA/CSA, Hilton Head/Beaufort is right next door to Savannah and they share an airport and media markets) ultimately benefits it as well."

I listed Myrtle Beach as a metro that has overlap with a neighboring state. Its MSA extends into NC (Brunswick County, which was previously part of the Wilmington, NC MSA).

Old 06-17-2016, 10:13 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,518 times
Quote:
No SC cities were listed in that second list because none are among the nation's 100 largest cities (SC has very restrictive annexation laws), which is the cities that were ranked.

But surely you're not using these lists to say that certain measures of fitness are big growth influencers, are you? Surely they are important (and as we can see, there's not much difference at all between the AL and SC metros here) but metrics such as job growth, unemployment, income levels, educational attainment levels, etc. matter more.
To a certain extent, yeah; I mean look around, the US has become so conscious regarding Health Issues, Fitness, GMO's, The Environment etc. etc. The culture nowadays isn't what it used to be say 10-20 years ago, people are going to the gym more, riding bikes, walking their dogs, or just overall becoming more active. That alone can influence growth, not saying it's #1 on a list pertaining to other growth issues, but things like that help jump start it, it builds momentum.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
To a certain extent, yeah; I mean look around, the US has become so conscious regarding Health Issues, Fitness, GMO's, The Environment etc. etc. The culture nowadays isn't what it used to be say 10-20 years ago, people are going to the gym more, riding bikes, walking their dogs, or just overall becoming more active. That alone can influence growth, not saying it's #1 on a list pertaining to other growth issues, but things like that help jump start it, it builds momentum.
And yet SC has five metro areas that are growing faster than Birmingham so obviously that has very, very little to do with growth patterns...not to mention the fact that metros like NYC, Houston, DFW, Nashville, Charlotte, San Antonio, Jacksonville, etc. all ranked worse than Birmingham on that first ranking. You're really reaching here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City