Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in Alabama or South Carolina?
Alabama 80 24.10%
South Carolina 252 75.90%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 01:03 PM

839 posts, read 807,401 times

Advertisements

This is a tough one! I'm tempted to pick South Carolina, because it has more going on across shorter distances. I like the ability to travel from the beautiful Low Country and Atlantic beaches to the big mountains of North Carolina in 4 hours or less. On the other hand, Alabama has those white sugar sand beaches (albeit on a very short coastline), the Sipsey Wilderness, a high tech, diverse city (Huntsville), and a bigger city polishing up its rusty framework (Birmingham). I would really miss the character and scenic suburbs of the Birmingham Metro if I moved to South Carolina.

On the other hand, if you offered me a place in Upstate South Carolina, I might not be able to pass it up. Having Western North Carolina just minutes away and Charleston a few hours away would be a major temptation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 05:12 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,662,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
This is a tough one! I'm tempted to pick South Carolina, because it has more going on across shorter distances. I like the ability to travel from the beautiful Low Country and Atlantic beaches to the big mountains of North Carolina in 4 hours or less. On the other hand, Alabama has those white sugar sand beaches (albeit on a very short coastline), the Sipsey Wilderness, a high tech, diverse city (Huntsville), and a bigger city polishing up its rusty framework (Birmingham). I would really miss the character and scenic suburbs of the Birmingham Metro if I moved to South Carolina.

On the other hand, if you offered me a place in Upstate South Carolina, I might not be able to pass it up. Having Western North Carolina just minutes away and Charleston a few hours away would be a major temptation.
I'm from Philadelphia so I'm a "jaded" Yankee(I guess! lol). I have relatives in Birmingham whom I see every couple of years. And, I'll tell you, the difference between what I saw in Birmingham in 2014 and what I saw a month ago was just terrific. I'm really rooting for the nice things/changes I saw there to continue.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:03 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,303,231 times
traffic is brutal on that 280 highway with all the restaurants/retail and the Summit mall in Birmingham. feels like the road is basically an interstate. not any road like that in SC.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I'm from Philadelphia so I'm a "jaded" Yankee(I guess! lol). I have relatives in Birmingham whom I see every couple of years. And, I'll tell you, the difference between what I saw in Birmingham in 2014 and what I saw a month ago was just terrific. I'm really rooting for the nice things/changes I saw there to continue.
It really is amazing. The areas adjacent to downtown are becoming unrecognizable to me (in a good way).

Old 06-28-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
traffic is brutal on that 280 highway with all the restaurants/retail and the Summit mall in Birmingham. feels like the road is basically an interstate. not any road like that in SC.
You can live in Birmingham and stay off U.S. 280 for the vast majority of your life. In my mind, the restaurants along US 280 are mostly chains (most of the best local restaurants are downtown and close in neighborhoods and burbs) , and I can't offhand think of too many retail places that only exist there. The Summit is really not that hard to access most of the time. That's the one place on 280 that we do visit occasionally, and we rarely have traffic issues. Time of day is crucial, though.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:37 PM

795 posts, read 470,924 times
Another thread I was reading through and thought I would post on. I didn't vote because I've not been to either state yet.

This is interesting to me though, because it's two states I have interest in traveling to in the future to visit different sites!

Alabama: Birmingham, Mobile, Montgomery, and Huntsville.

South Carolina: Charleston, Columbia and Myrtle Beach.

Anybody who is posting sarcastic remarks and acting like where they come from is better is basing their beliefs in ignorance and their superiority in delusion.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:41 PM

828 posts, read 632,094 times
Pretty comparable to one another actually.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:43 PM

11,949 posts, read 7,696,680 times
Alabama is 49, South Carolina is 45... I think im going with SC on this one.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:46 PM

795 posts, read 470,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Alabama is 49, South Carolina is 45... I think im going with SC on this one.

I apologize if I missed a vital piece of information, but what do those numbers refer to? Thank you.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:20 PM

9,860 posts, read 14,183,605 times
South Carolina--no question.

I really like all 3 South Carolina larger cities. Greenville is growing well and it is a nice city with a great downtown. Charleston is just incredible and the restaurant scene amazing. Columbia is growing and its downtown is becoming much nicer.

The South Carolina coast is beautiful and the northern part of the state has the southern smoky mountains--incredible up there.

Alabama carries a cultural and political stigma these days, and I've just overall never been a big fan of the state. I've spent time in Huntsville as well as Birmingham. Never been to Montgomery or Mobile, other than driving through.

I was in Birmingham about 20 years ago, so I can't really say what it's like today. But at the time it was actually pretty fun. Good bars/restaurants, but a definite mid size city vibe. Not that large.

But I was in Huntsville in early 2018, and it is a growing city. However, it was an odd metro area to me. It has a super nice, higher end mall that was bustling, and areas on the west side of town felt vibrant. The downtown was pretty much dead quiet, and small--not a lot going on.

Driving into Huntsville from Chattanooga, I felt the backroads and towns were living in the 80s. It was a bizarre step back in time.

Huntsville's economy is strong though, and lots of higher paying jobs there due to the aerospace and IT/engineering firms locating there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City