Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in Alabama or South Carolina?
Alabama 80 24.10%
South Carolina 252 75.90%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:13 AM

403 posts, read 1,185,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
South Kakalaki! Charleston is an absolutely gorgeous city. Columbia.....not so much. Downtown Greenville is beautiful for a small city. I'll hopefully be heading down to Hilton Head Island at some point this fall to visit my old roommate. I will also definitely be going back to Clemson for a game this fall!
Charleston is only nice if you're a old rich white man, a young rich white college student, or a white tourist. That's who the city caters to. Outside of that the place sucks.

Hilton Head Island is the same way.

Columbia has much more to offer for the majority of its citizens, regardless of race.

Never been to Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 10:14 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,432,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Which state would you rather live in, and why?

Which state has more to offer?
South Carolina has a more amicable climate; especially during the summer months.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:18 AM

23,299 posts, read 43,744,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
South Carolina has a more amicable climate; especially during the summer months.
Really? I don't think there's a dime's worth of difference between the two in the summer. Both have the coastal plain in the lower part of the state (a total steam bath in both cases) and the Piedmont in the upper part (a bit better in the summer).

Old 09-09-2009, 10:22 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,951,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
Charleston is only nice if you're a old rich white man, a young rich white college student, or a white tourist. That's who the city caters to. Outside of that the place sucks.

Columbia has much more to offer for the majority of its citizens, regardless of race.

Greenville is actually easily as nice as Columbia. Its Reedy River Falls Park is easily as nice as or arguably nicer than Columbia's Finlay Park. It's downtown area is as nice as Columbia's, although Columbia is far better in river scenery and amenities. Columbia is also much more diverse than Greenville, racially and politically. Charleston is pretty diverse once you take in the surrounding areas that make up the metro and look outside just the city center and beach areas. Gullah presence is part of the evidence of that diversity. Actually speaking of cultural diversity the Charleston area, specifically James Island, has some of the best summer reggae concerts in the entire southeast.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Greenville is actually easily as nice as Columbia. Its Reedy River Falls Park is easily as nice as or arguably nicer than Columbia's Finlay Park. It's downtown area is as nice as Columbia's, although Columbia is far better in river scenery and amenities. Columbia is also much more diverse than Greenville, racially and politically.
One thing that NC and SC have is some mid-tier cities that are real gems IMO.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:38 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,951,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Really? I don't think there's a dime's worth of difference between the two in the summer. Both have the coastal plain in the lower part of the state (a total steam bath in both cases) and the Piedmont in the upper part (a bit better in the summer).
There's a HUGE difference particularly in the coastal areas. Mobile gets tons more rain and on a much more frequent basis during the summer months than anywhere on the coast of South Carolina. It therefore is generally much more humid, with temperatures at least as high as South Carolina's. Coast for coast, South Carolina's is superior to Alabama's in most every way. In fact, even the Gulf water all along the Alabama coast is brown and doesn't become turquoise-blue until you get to the Pensacola Beach, FL area. The only thing the Alabama coast has the South Carolina coast beat on is their National Shrimp Festival every October, which is easily better than any Festival on the South Carolina coast. But there ARE distinct differences on many fronts, including the weather. The Piedmont areas are more similar on weather, though.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
There's a HUGE difference particularly in the coastal areas. Mobile gets tons more rain and on a much more frequent basis during the summer months than anywhere on the coast of South Carolina. It therefore is generally much more humid, with temperatures at least as high as South Carolina's. Coast for coast, South Carolina's is superior to Alabama's in most every way. In fact, even the Gulf water all along the Alabama coast is brown and doesn't become turquoise-blue until you get to the Pensacola Beach, FL area. The only thing the Alabama coast has the South Carolina coast beat on is their National Shrimp Festival every October, which is easily better than any Festival on the South Carolina coast. But there ARE distinct differences on many fronts, including the weather. The Piedmont areas are more similar on weather, though.
Well, says you. True, Mobile does get a lot more rainfall owing to its' position on the Bay. Baldwin County gets considerably less.

And what are you talking about? The Beaches at Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, AL are sugar white and gorgeous, the water a beautiful blue...since these two beach communities are contiguous to Perdido Key and Pensacola Beach, it really is kind of ludicrous to assert that the landscape magically changes for the better at the FL state line.
IMO, AL wins over SC for the beauty of the beaches. But I do love the SC coastline.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:12 PM

403 posts, read 1,185,551 times
Quote:
Greenville is actually easily as nice as Columbia. Its Reedy River Falls Park is easily as nice as or arguably nicer than Columbia's Finlay Park. It's downtown area is as nice as Columbia's, although Columbia is far better in river scenery and amenities. Columbia is also much more diverse than Greenville, racially and politically. Charleston is pretty diverse once you take in the surrounding areas that make up the metro and look outside just the city center and beach areas. Gullah presence is part of the evidence of that diversity. Actually speaking of cultural diversity the Charleston area, specifically James Island, has some of the best summer reggae concerts in the entire southeast.
Dude, I've been living in the Charleston area for the past 10 years. If you consider an area that is mostly white with a large number of African Americans and a growing number of illegal immigrants as "diverse" then you obviously don't travel much.

I'm originally from New Jersey. North Jersey to be exact. If you want to see what real diversity looks like then take a trip there.

That Gullah presence is being slowly removed from Charleston by King Riley and his minions in real estate.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:05 PM

7,051 posts, read 12,262,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post

Rep points for you on this one my man! I feel the same way about Charleston, but because Charleston is sooooo loved on City Data; I never had the guts to say what you just did. After the first visit, Charleston got old quick.

Being that I only live 6 miles from the SC state line, I gotta vote for SC. Alabama is cool with me too though.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:38 PM

138 posts, read 509,348 times
Of course when it comes to the beaches, SC wins hands down. There is no Alabama equivalent for Myrtle Beach, Charleston, or Hilton Head.

I would beg to differ here. SC could only hope to have the kind of beaches AL offers, or the whole east coast for that matter. SC and the whole Atlantic Seaboard, including FL, DOES NOT have the beautiful clear, blue green water and powder soft, blinding white sand that AL Gulf Coast and FL panhandle has (I only include FL here because they are so close together you barely can tell which one your in/on).
Myrtle Beach is nothing more than tourist trap of hi-rises and commericial garbage. Charleston of course is amazing, and AL does not have that. AL may not have as much hoity toityness of Hilton Head, but Hilton Head does not have the true beach houses that Gulf Shores has either. Also, SC is colder in the winter...at least from the AL shoreline anyway. SC does not have proximity to any world class entertainment like Gulf Shores (ie Biloxi and New Orleans).
Im going to have to vote for Alabama...even though I like SC....I think Bama has a slight edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City