U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city is safer
NYC 81 80.20%
LA 20 19.80%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:38 PM

4,828 posts, read 3,902,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
LA is so deceptive. You can find blocks in neighborhoods like SOHO that look worst than places like Compton. However, you can walk down the streets in Brownsville and most likely will not be be messed with, especially in the day. In those beautiful Compton blocks you won't get very far unless you're with someone that is from the neighborhood or have been seen with locals. The culture on west coast is different than it is in the east. Here is one from one of those quiet looking residential neighborhoods.

YouTube - Compton Bloods Pirus

Old 06-29-2009, 11:54 PM

7,617 posts, read 8,836,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
LA is so deceptive. You can find blocks in neighborhoods like SOHO that look worst than places like Compton. However, you can walk down the streets in Brownsville and most likely will not be be messed with, especially in the day. In those beautiful Compton blocks you won't get very far unless you're with someone that is from the neighborhood or have been seen with locals. The culture on west coast is different than it is in the east. Here is one from one of those quiet looking residential neighborhoods.

YouTube - Compton Bloods Pirus
A lot of my neighborhood is deceptive like that too.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
A lot of my neighborhood is deceptive like that too.
The difference for me, is that in NYC the density makes the population less suspicious of basically everyone. In blocks like KRS88 posted in Compton to show how much nicer it looked than Brownsville it's nearly impossible for a new comer or outsider to walk down the street. I haven't found the gang culture in NYC to be a complete way of life for an entire life like it is there. Like the elder man in the video in LA you have 30, 40, and 50 year olds still on the corner representing and fighting for the stupid gangs.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:04 AM

379 posts, read 760,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
lol at any poster dissing cities with no location stated, in their profiles. Hailing from small towns and s..t

And u know i wasnt talking about the damn exact downtown la.lol. Still not like i recognized anything in those pics to begin with except the scrapers.
Why do you "lol" at that? my location is chicago if it somehow matters to you.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
Why do you "lol" at that? my location is chicago if it somehow matters to you.
Well you said that NYC is the fakest city and thats funny. Especially now knowing that you're from the midwest, people that are never real.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:13 AM

I feel like at the end of the day "hardness" is based on the individual. You either gonna do something or you not. This is why I don't really believe in that crime rate stuff. Theres tough people in both NYC and LA that don't mind getting it rockin/poppin/crackin/shakin with anybody. Both cities have their rough areas but both are nice cities as well and I'm not gonna lie but those pictures of Los Angeles make me want to go even more than I already do.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:15 AM

15,832 posts, read 18,456,038 times
Quote:
I feel like at the end of the day "hardness" is based on the individual. You either gonna do something or you not. This is why I don't really believe in that crime rate stuff. Theres tough people in both NYC and LA that don't mind getting it rockin/poppin/crackin/shakin with anybody. Both cities have their rough areas but both are nice cities as well and I'm not gonna lie but those pictures of Los Angeles make me want to go even more than I already do.
Yet, your probably stepping right into gang territory.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I agree with you. Neither city is a slouch and they both have good and bad and it comes down to where you are in each city and who you are. I hope you go and are there long enough to really understand the cultural differences and why this comparison is a difficult one. The op however is which is safer.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yet, your probably stepping right into gang territory.
That can apply to people in a gang too there be soft people that join gangs for whatever reason and they're not always going to be as tough as their fellow gang members.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:24 AM

The other sad thing that's been going on in LA is the war between races. I remember when I was a kid we always had race riots in school. When ever there was a problem between individuals of different races, it always exploded. It has sadly gotten worse than better in LA.

YouTube - Black and Mexican conflict in Compton and Los Angeles

YouTube - Black & Mexican conflict in Pasadena grows

YouTube - Hawaiian Gardens Latino Gang Targeted Blacks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City