U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city is safer
NYC 81 80.20%
LA 20 19.80%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:55 PM

7,829 posts, read 9,548,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
A good portion of NYC murders are drug related.
Thats very true drug and beef related.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:58 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,710,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
It seems like LA gangs shoot more and fight less and NYC gangs fight more and shoot less. I think gangs are corny and played out. In my opinion Los Angeles is *overall* more dangerous because of that gang nonsense.
I'm not so sure about that. There's no shortage of fighting in LA. LA has a higher rate of aggravated assault than NYC as well, but that wouldn't really come into play since LA gangsters are obviously not making police reports after they get into fights. Its tough to say who fights more truthfully, but LA gangsters do still fight a whole lot. Maybe not as much as they used to 15 years ago or more, but they still get down. If you can't fight you get no respect.

The gang life may seem played out to you, but the issue with LA gangs is that it is not just a fad. Its their way of life. That's why the problem there is as deeply seeded as it is. I know what you mean tho; the headlines get old and we become numb to all the killings. From an outsiders perspective its tough to see why they are still involved with all this craziness.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:59 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,750,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
A good portion of NYC murders are drug related.
True, In LA you have lots of drug or gang relate crimes too, but also lots of innocent people being killed due to gang related activities. MS-13 kill innocent black woman to get initiated into gangs. This is really common in Cali and Texas.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:06 PM

13,334 posts, read 13,336,425 times
LA's more dangerous in my opinion. This isn't even including compton, inglewood, long beach, just LA proper. When you count East LA and South Central, LARGE geographical areas of gangmembers, it's hard to compete. With NYC it's certain neighborhoods of boroughs. Granted BAD NYC neighborhoods are some of the worst and violent in the country. But LA just has LAGRE vast geographical areas synonymous with gang activity, gang culture, gang life, drugs, and murder. And to add, some of LA's suburbs overlap there gang violence into LA proper and vice versa. So overall LA is the more dangerous city.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:07 PM

6,840 posts, read 12,101,977 times
NYC by far, I predict this thread will be NYC 783 LA 10. You have to be a moron not to see that NYC is much safer than LA.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:11 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,114,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I'm not so sure about that. There's no shortage of fighting in LA. LA has a higher rate of aggravated assault than NYC as well, but that wouldn't really come into play since LA gangsters are obviously not making police reports after they get into fights. Its tough to say who fights more truthfully, but LA gangsters do still fight a whole lot. Maybe not as much as they used to 15 years ago or more, but they still get down. If you can't fight you get no respect.

The gang life may seem played out to you, but the issue with LA gangs is that it is not just a fad. Its their way of life.
That's why the problem there is as deeply seeded as it is. I know what you mean tho; the headlines get old and we become numb to all the killings. From an outsiders perspective its tough to see why they are still involved with all this craziness.
Very true. In La the hispanic gangs started in the 1940s during the zoot suit riots. The hispanics banded together to protect themselves and their families form the white people that were ganging up on hispanic males and raping hispanic woman. The black gangs started in the 50s in response to white gangs like the spook hunters that were from white communities like "INGLEWOOD and COMPTON" and would look for blacks to beat up. After 40 and 50 years I think its time to accept that it's not a fad. In NYC the "fad" goes back even way further.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:16 PM

4,496 posts, read 4,374,854 times
Quote:
I think you've got that backwards. If LA and NYC have the same rate in a particular area, then NYC would be worse in that case since it has the greater number. But all of LA's rates are higher so it is definitely more dangerous.
I was talking about the whole city in general.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:17 PM

7,829 posts, read 9,548,920 times
Quote:

The gang life may seem played out to you, but the issue with LA gangs is that it is not just a fad. Its their way of life. That's why the problem there is as deeply seeded as it is. I know what you mean tho; the headlines get old and we become numb to all the killings. From an outsiders perspective its tough to see why they are still involved with all this craziness.
I totally agree with you that its a way of life its kill or be killed because when there is no other opportunity thats what people will turn to. From what I was hearing on here I was under the impression that they just shoot you and leave and when I see gangs go at it they fight like 10 on 10.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:45 PM

674 posts, read 1,186,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I think what makes NYC seem more dangerous is the media and it's crime might be concentrated in certain areas (Brownsville, Bed-Steu, South Bronx,etc). Those hoods alone seem to give NYC a bad name.
I have to disagree I think the media blew the South Central thing WAY out of proportion in the early 90s. Now I have to admitt after thinking about and recalling my days with my cousins in South Central LA I must say that in terms of crime they are both EQUAL as they have their good and bad and NO GO ZONE parts. For other people, dont even bring crime rates into this because Nyc is the densest big city in america and like I said in an earlier post NYC is so dense the rate means nothing.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:50 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,114,020 times
Once you put a neighborhood like Washington Heights as one of the worst, you lost credibility with me on the topic. That tells me you're really reaching trying to find as many places that people are afraid of as you can..Why didn't you just ut the upper east side up there, they had twice as many murders and were pretty equal in other crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City