U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city or cities most closely resembles the urban feel of NYC?
Boston 24 16.22%
Chicago 78 52.70%
Philadelphia 48 32.43%
San Francisco 53 35.81%
LA 9 6.08%
DC 10 6.76%
Other 12 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 08:49 PM

457 posts, read 920,569 times

Advertisements

My top four would be Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, and San Francisco (not necessary in that order.) LA and DC would receive honorable mentions.

I don’t know that I could really rank them, it seems like they resemble NYC in different ways.

Here are my 4 contenders:

Boston:
How it is like New York: a mini-NYC. Expensive, gentrified, urban east coast culture, reputation for snobbery/elitism. Mix of cosmopolitan elites in its core and working class, with unique accent, in surrounding neighborhoods. Big sports city. Physically, there is some resemblance. Harbor front downtown. Expensive CBD office market. Boston Commons: Central Park. North End: Little Italy. The Back Bay/ Financial District divide similar to Midtown/FD divide. The priced out take refuge across the river: Cambridge/Somerville: Brooklyn/Queens. Martha’s Vineyards: Hamptons.
How it is not like NYC: smaller than the other NYC-ish cities, not as much of a “skyscraper city.” more of a European flavor. More parochial and stolid. Although Boston has held up better than other Northern cities, it can seem stuck in the past.

Philadelphia:
How it is like New York: The 6th borough. Geographically the closest. Similar East Coast culture, and architecture. Smaller, less gentrified version of NYC. People can be rude and always in a hurry. Walnut Street/Rittenhouse Square has a Midtown NYC feel. Iconic bridges, Philly Skyline bears resemblance to Midtown. Center City surrounded by rivers on two sides, with Jersey on other side. Large arts scene. Old City/SoHo, South Philly/Brooklyn, NoLib/W'burg, Camden/Newark.
How it is not like NYC: less international and cosmopolitan; more blue collar, the least gentrified of the NYC-ish cities,still losing population and seems like it future is up in the air. It could fix itself up into the next Chicago or collapse into the next Detroit.

Chicago:
How it is like New York: The largest of the 4. World class skyline, the US’s other major skyscraper city. Iconic “big city” that define the very essence of American city, think Chicago and prohibition. The City is huge, physically and in terms of population. At ground level, CBDs look like Manhattan. Large immigrant hub. Major financial/ arts center.
How it is not like NYC: Midwestern feel. Doesn’t have the super-dense midrise neighborhoods (i.e. North End in Boston, Tenderloin in SF.) Not as international as NYC/SF. Lacks coastal elitism and expense of SF, Bos, NYC. People seem more down to earth.

San Francisco:
How it is like New York: NYC of the West. The 2nd densest major American city. Major world tourist destination. Vibrant. Surrounded by water on 3 sides. Residents think they live in the greatest city in the world. Expensive, gentrified. The very name conjures up images of urban, wealthly, elite. Harbor front Downtown, Iconic bridges, FiDi looks like NYC's FiDi. Culturally significant: beatniks, hippies, and bloggers. Diverse, cosmopolitan population. World famous neighborhoods: Haight-Ashburry, Castro, Chinatown. Oakland/Berkeley : Queens/Brooklyn.
How it is not like NYC: much smaller scale,Mediterranean climate/ architecture, blue collar not as prevalent.

LA:
How it is like New York: Massive population, center of pop culture. Loaded with rich and famous, glamorous. Immigrant hub. Draws people from all over looking to make it big.
How it is not like NYC:Not a traditional city,suburban layout, civic life doesn’t revolve around the core.

DC:
How it is like New York: center of global power, full of ambitious and power-driven. City thinks the world revolves around it. Massive, expensive CBD. Expensive. Well educated, cosmopolitan population. Extensive mass transit. Some dense urban areas.
How it is not like NYC: Although dense for an American city, IMO it doesn’t have the same level of urbanism as the main 4. It came of age in post-WWII, as result it is more suburban. The urban core is smaller. Downtown shuts down on the weekends, with some exceptions. No major downtown shopping area. Most immigrant enclaves are in the 'burbs. Although the population is similar to Boston; Bos is smaller in area, plus it has a number of urban suburbs that are denser than DC proper.

Last edited by Caymon83; 06-28-2009 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 08:50 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,906,967 times
Parts of Las Vegas felt more similar to NYC than any other city I've been to.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:54 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,422,326 times
Hopefully none of them.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:01 PM

542 posts, read 1,264,080 times
I don't think people in DC think the world revolves around them, but Boston or Philadelphia perhaps?

Old 06-28-2009, 09:06 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,119,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Parts of Las Vegas felt more similar to NYC than any other city I've been to.
What the hell?? No part of Las Vegas looks anything like NYC. Lets try stepping away from the strip before you make statements like that lol

Old 06-28-2009, 09:07 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,734,275 times
Philadelphia definitely

Old 06-28-2009, 09:51 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,012,532 times
I think San Francisco, for many of the reasons you describe. There's the density, water, wealthy elite, diverse, etc.

And just one quibble with your descriptions, which overall I find very accurate: I wouldn't say LA has a "suburban" layout, although I agree that it's not a traditional layout.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:53 PM

6,889 posts, read 9,567,253 times
I voted for San Francisco because of its density and walkability. Also a decent skyline and an attention to parks like New York. But honestly I can see any of the TOP FOUR CHOICES as a GOOD CHOICE.

For instance the people of both Philadelphia and Boston remind of New York which is not surprising because they are both in the NE. I would lean toward Philadelphia (they are a little odd in Boston!) but as you point out its much more blue collar then New York or Boston.

The skyline of Chicago also reminds me alot of New York --- so much so that I often put these two cities on the same level when comparing skylines. But Philadelphia also has a nice but smaller skyline. Still for me, its Chicago and NYC on the top level and then everyone else.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:56 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,906,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
What the hell?? No part of Las Vegas looks anything like NYC. Lets try stepping away from the strip before you make statements like that lol

I don't mean looking similar to NYC. I mean the overall feel of the strip and downtown Las Vegas. It has a similar vibe.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:39 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,356,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or