U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:49 PM

160 posts, read 436,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Please, look at any "night from space" picture of the U.S. and you will see all the bright dots in Upstate NY. Those are called "cities." Thanks for playing

Yes those are cities, but when looking at the majority of the state of New York (from space or not) you'll see that most of the land area that makes up New York is not cities, but rural. My guess would be that when looking at NY as a whole, only about 45% of the state is urbanized, the rest remaining largely rural. Check any statistics source and you'll find that New York doesn't even come close to the top states in America for population density (more people per square mile...which means more urban areas). Massachusetts scores third out of all 50 states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 05:51 PM

160 posts, read 436,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Please, look at any "night from space" picture of the U.S. and you will see all the bright dots in Upstate NY. Those are called "cities." Thanks for playing
when looking at the MAJORITY of space (land area) in the state of New York, you'll find that most of the land is made up of rural areas, NOT cities. When looking at Massachusetts, most area is urbanized. There might be more cities in NY than in MA, but in proportion to the rest of the state, most of NY remains RURAL.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:50 PM

4,354 posts, read 4,914,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp646 View Post
when looking at the MAJORITY of space (land area) in the state of New York, you'll find that most of the land is made up of rural areas, NOT cities. When looking at Massachusetts, most area is urbanized. There might be more cities in NY than in MA, but in proportion to the rest of the state, most of NY remains RURAL.
You are correct.

If you look at a detailed atlas which shows yellow or orange for all developed areas including suburbs (not just cities), Massachusetts looks more built up.

But I don't get the point your trying to get at. What difference does it make?

Old 08-21-2009, 09:11 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,894,380 times
Quote:
That doesn't make any sense in reality. When they give you density of a state they don't subtract the land. Which means the more land you have the less the number comes out but in reality that doesn't mean it isn't denser. Mass is only 10,555 sq mi with a population of 6,497,967, NY is 54,555 sq mi with a population of 19,490,297. 45% of NYs population(nearly 9 million) lives in NYC which 304 sq mi. And 20% live in Long Island and Westchester, Putnam, and Rockland counties which are in NYCs metro area. That is 65% of about 20 million people living in the southern part of NY. That is more urban than Mass. If we had 809 people per sq mi(which Mass has) with a population of 20 million over a land of 54,555 sq mi that would be considered sprawl. Basically Mass is just urban sprawl compared to NY. Another way we could have 809 people per sq mi would if we had a population of 50 million.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:26 PM

1,730 posts, read 2,944,121 times
Exclamation I love every state..........

but I am in LOVE with NEW YORK.................................

Old 08-21-2009, 11:01 PM

327 posts, read 359,799 times
Quote:
Correct, these are all cities, but when looking at the MAJORITY of space (land area) in the state of New York, you'll find that most of the land is made up of rural areas, NOT cities. When looking at Massachusetts, most area is urbanized. There might be more cities in NY than in MA, but in proportion to the rest of the state, most of NY remains RURAL.
OK? Your whole point still makes no sense. Both states have many urban areas. New York, being a much larger state, has many rural areas, as with any state its size. I still don't see how this makes Mass superior in any way. You only like states that are basically completely developed?

Old 08-22-2009, 08:53 AM

4,354 posts, read 4,914,484 times
Lets face it, the Northeast as a whole is the most crowded region in America. Thats both good AND bad.

For me, I am glad most of upstate New York, Northern New England, much of Pennsylvania and smaller areas in other states, are rural or even wild. Life would be unbearable here if the whole Northeast was built up and totally developed!

Old 08-22-2009, 09:00 AM

914 posts, read 974,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter83 View Post
Which state would you rather live in? Which is better for you based on overall quality of life,school quality, social progression etc?

Obviously, I have to say Massachusetts because that's my home; but i've been to New York quite a few times and the best part is that the city really NEVER sleeps. Boston begins shutting down around 3am.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:25 AM

141 posts, read 182,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
New York is more expensive. Both areas have good towns and bad towns. Have you considered CT, right in between?
untrue, nyc and boston are about the same but the res t of ny is farm and forest, very cheap

Old 08-23-2009, 12:27 AM

141 posts, read 182,319 times
until you people fix traffic in worcester mass will never be the better state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City