U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: I would rather live in the...
Rust Belt 107 43.50%
Sun Belt 139 56.50%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2009, 12:37 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,647,515 times

Advertisements

I hate winter in cold cities. Even Atlanta is too cold for my taste. I can put up with a brutal summer in exchange for a wonderful winter since the hottest hot is more tolerable to me than the coldest cold. Even in cold states you have hot summers (on the east coast anyway). Not as hot, but you will still get uncomfortable. At least in Orlando you have 5 months of almost perfect weather. My opinion of course.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 12:38 PM

3,313 posts, read 4,228,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
  • Top 5 cities where people want to live are Denver, San Diego, Seattle, Orlando, and Tampa
  • Bottom 5 cities - Minneapolis, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit
All of these cities are the top 30 of "America's Most Popular Big Cities."

Quote:
  • "Americans are leaving the Northeast and Midwest in favor of the South and West."
  • "By about two-to-one, they prefer to live in a hot-weather place over a cold-weather place."
  • 25% say they would most like to live in a suburb; 23% in a city. So much for this notion that nobody wants to live in "bland, cultureless" suburbs...
Yes, and
Quote:
a slight plurality would rather live in a place with more McDonald's (43%) than one with more Starbucks (35%)

Old 07-06-2009, 12:58 PM

125 posts, read 267,669 times
Which sounds more appealing the word sun or rust? I chose the sunbelt.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:02 PM

6,345 posts, read 7,775,696 times
The maps of both regions both seem kind of wacky to me. I've never thought of California as part of the Sun Belt. I've always imagined it stopping right at the Cali-Arizona border. California just seems like it is its own region.

I also considered most everywhere on the Great Lakes, East of Chicago to be apart of the Rust Belt. So that would include Syracuse, Buffalo, etc.

All of that said, I'd choose the Sun Belt. The weather is much better down South, and there's some really nice cities. Sure they're not as urban or historic as the Rust Belt cities, but they're thriving and in my opinion, more desirable. Many years ago, I may have felt different, but unfortunately the cities of the Rust Belt have become rotted out and are now shadows of their former selves. *Disclaimer: This is assuming Chicago is not included in the Rust Belt...because if it is, that may be enough for me to change my vote*

As I expected, when college sports got brought up both sides ended up smashing each other.

@ Daytonnian on post #79: Wrong, wrong, wrong and....WRONG! You don't understand how much college football is loved in the South. First, I will say Penn State has great fans...but I'm not too sure any other fans up there can measure up to the fans down South. I went to a Sunbelt school, Clemson. When a friend of a friend came down (He was a Michigan student), he was shocked by how loud the stadium was (and we were playing a mediocre opponent like NC State or something).

When College Football GameDay came to #11 Clemson vs #12 Georgia Tech in 2006, our "Spirit Meter" (gauging how loud the crowd at College Gameday is) got to 117 decibels. The "game of the century" #2 Michigan vs #1 Ohio State got 113 db. That's coming from what people claim to be the biggest rivalry out there, in what was arguably the most hyped regular season game of the decade.

Another time, I went and visited my friends who were attending Purdue. I had a great time, and their fans were great. That said, they couldn't compare to the Southern tailgating and crowds. You just don't understand what it's like down South. I also had the good fortune of visiting Tallahassee (Florida St) and Athens (University of Georgia). Both places are wild. I've only heard the rumors of how amazing Saturday night is in Baton Rouge. I plan to be a part of that scene as soon as possible...Gainesville too.

You also said "OSU has a problem with FSU, which is unexplained". First off, it's not FSU, it's UF. Second, it's easily explained why you had a problem with you: they were better than you were. You don't win 41-14 on a fluke. Now that I recall it, they also seem to have the same problem with LSU, Texas, and Southern Cal!

Old 07-06-2009, 01:50 PM

2,705 posts, read 2,194,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I like rust belt better. There are more cities in the rust belt that offer city specific foods, interesting architecture, more of an urban environment than there are sunbelt cities.
What city specific foods can you find in the rust belt? Except maybe the Chicago Deep Dish (some people don't even fully put Chicago in the Rust Belt)) and hot dogs and that god awful cincy chilli?

Old 07-06-2009, 02:02 PM

3,313 posts, read 4,228,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
What city specific foods can you find in the rust belt? Except maybe the Chicago Deep Dish (some people don't even fully put Chicago in the Rust Belt)) and hot dogs and that god awful cincy chilli?
Well, Youngstown has Brier Hill pizza. Brier Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-06-2009, 02:04 PM

3,235 posts, read 5,154,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
cinci- chili
chicago - deep dish pizza
buffalo - wings, beef on weck
rochester- garbage plates, white hots
binghamton- speedies
pittsburgh- primanti sandwich
syracuse- hofmans

Thats a quick list off the top of my head. Not good for you by any means but yummy.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:34 PM

5,643 posts, read 4,242,053 times
Default It has been in 70s days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I hate winter in cold cities. Even Atlanta is too cold for my taste. I can put up with a brutal summer in exchange for a wonderful winter since the hottest hot is more tolerable to me than the coldest cold. Even in cold states you have hot summers (on the east coast anyway). Not as hot, but you will still get uncomfortable. At least in Orlando you have 5 months of almost perfect weather. My opinion of course.
and 60s nights right now in NY. That is lovely in comparison to what it is now like in Naples. This more or less Naples winter weather. However, although I like these temps in summer, I DON'T like them in the Fall or Winter. I like my winters cold. Because of that, I like neither summer nor winter in Florida.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:18 PM

1,293 posts, read 2,840,946 times
I don't like the heat either. I like the temps in the 40-50's, just enough to where you need a jacket. Fall is my favorite season, then winter, then summer then spring. Spring is last, I really don't like the rain, love snow. I will take the extreme cold over extreme heat/humidity. I hate to sweat, you don't even want to move when its hot out!

I have lived in the sun belt and rust belt. There are some sun belt cities I like, Charlotte and Richmond (sunbelt yes?). Some I don't like, Raleigh, Orlando. Most others are in between.

I feel like the rust belt has more culture and feels more like home. With the exception of sea food and bbq the food is better up here. With my current job field, I was able to find a better paying job and cheaper housing here (for Rochester at least).

Finally, not all rust belt cities are doing that bad. Rochester where I currently live, was recently ranked one of the strongest cities in the country, it did not participate in the housing bubble, an estimated census report from NYS predicted the city only lost 0.3% of its population since 2000 and has a somewhat unique industry (optics and imaging). So its not growing by leaps and bounds, but it is steady and predictable, I would rathar have that. Year over year the city has had population gains and declines, that should be normal for an older city. Not massive gains and losses. For the long term I would rather have a city that fits this category.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:59 PM

10 posts, read 17,262 times
I would miss the snow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City