Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Hi-Speed Rail line are you looking forward to?
California Corridor (Sac, SF, SJ, LA, SD) 49 20.85%
Pacific NW Corridor (Eugene, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver) 14 5.96%
South Central Corridor (Tulsa, OKC, Little Rock, Dallas, SA) 15 6.38%
Gulf Coast Corridor (Houston, New Orleans, Mobile) 14 5.96%
Chicago Hub Network (Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, KC, St. Louis, MSP, Milwaukee, Louisville) 60 25.53%
Florida Corridor (Tampa, Orlando, Miami) 13 5.53%
Southeast Corridor (Raleigh, Charlotte, ATL, Savannah, Jacksonville) 40 17.02%
Keystone Corridor (Philly-Pitts) 14 5.96%
Empire Corridor (Buffalo, Alpany) 3 1.28%
Northern New England Corridor (Boston, Portland, Montreal, New Haven) 13 5.53%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:12 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
The California one,of course. And if one day they could connect with the PNW line to have HSR from Vancouver through LA
It'll never happen. Eugene is 530 miles from SF, with absolutely nothing in between. HSR is only meant to cover spans of 200-500 miles, to bridge the gap between driving and flying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 09:30 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,478 times
Instead of The Gulf Coast corridor mentioned, we should have one that connects Houston/ Galveston to San Antonio, to Austin, Waco, Dallas/ Ft Worth, to College Station, and out to Abeliene, Lubbock and Amarillo

...Of course this would cost alot, but connecting all the centers of business/ education would be nice

Old 01-28-2010, 09:44 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,679,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
It'll never happen. Eugene is 530 miles from SF, with absolutely nothing in between. HSR is only meant to cover spans of 200-500 miles, to bridge the gap between driving and flying.
But Sacramento is only 400,and less than that to Medford. "It'll never happen" Is a bit pessimistic. If they ever did build that though I probably wouldn't care by the time it was finished.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:46 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
High speed rail IS interesting, but as some people point out, should only be put in certain areas. I have heard various opinions on Cali's, and I still am curious about Texas.

As for Georgia, I will actually be surprised if the politicians would be interested. Utilization/Cost/Benefit is a legitimate issue, but I think Georgia needs to get something else in order

If what I read is true, Metro Atlanta seems like it needs help with AREA traffic like YESTERDAY. I normally don't like to do outside commentary, but it's completely baffling that the state doesn't provide SOME cash to the MARTA with how allegedly popular it is, that just makes NO sense.

I agree. If you spend any lengthy time in the area you will quickly find out why.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:59 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
the south needs it more than the north. the u.s. as a whole DEFINITELY needs it IMHO.

link the entire east coast together with high speed rail. it would be a dream. the job opportunities that it would create...man...

Old 01-28-2010, 10:09 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I agree. If you spend any lengthy time in the area you will quickly find out why.
I would be very interested to hear your opinions on why?

Old 01-29-2010, 08:10 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
the south needs it more than the north.
Why? I think all the megapolitan regions of the country need this equally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
the u.s. as a whole DEFINITELY needs it IMHO.
Indeed.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:19 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
I think the reason why the South needs it more than the North is due to the fact that the North already has something similiar to a high speed rail ready. I could be wrong and right now I can't remember the name of it.

Any news on the high speed rail developments?

Old 01-29-2010, 08:21 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Well for high-speed rail to work there has to be demand and it has to roughly time equivelent or better than other forms of transportation. Some already work, yesterday I took 3 trains (one of which the Acela the other two subways) and got from CC Philly to Midtown NYC for an 8:30 meeting leaving my house at 6:45, pretty efficient

I think the points of destination need to be close enough to end business centers, just my humble opinion

Old 01-29-2010, 08:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well for high-speed rail to work there has to be demand and it has to roughly time equivelent or better than other forms of transportation. Some already work, yesterday I took 3 trains (one of which the Acela the other two subways) and got from CC Philly to Midtown NYC for an 8:30 meeting leaving my house at 6:45, pretty efficient

I think the points of destination need to be close enough to end business centers, just my humble opinion
The Bos-Wash corridor is a perfect example of where HSR makes good sense: the cities are close enough together that flying isn't always practical, besides which both the aviation and highway infrastructure are stretched to the limits of conceivable capacity and a third option is actually a necessity rather than a luxury. My issue is with the idea some have that everyone everywhere needs to be connected to each other by HSR when our existing transportation infrastructure is already perfectly adequate for the job. In other words, HSR makes sense as an intra-regional transportation option in some cases, but not so much as an inter-regional transportation option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City