U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which skyline is better:
Chicago 394 87.36%
Miami 57 12.64%
Voters: 451. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 12:17 PM

116 posts, read 139,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Of course not. NYC has a much larger squarish scale. Internationally Shanghai and Tokyo also. I am not saying Miami is currently in a larger scale skyline outside the waterfront. What I am saying is Chicago is easier to catch up with in terms of scale, so Miami might have a chance. Yes in the future Miami might sink into the water you never know. But Chicago is not that far reaching if Miami acts agressively. Dubai's skyline scale is already on par with Chicago within so few years. Some people will argue that Dubai is not a real city, etc, etc. But that is not the point. In terms of skyline and tall buildings, outside of the aesthetics issue which is totally subjective, Dubai is on par with Chicago looking at every aspect of the statistics.
Maybe this would be true if Chicago absolutely stayed still and stopped building skyscrapers altogether, but quite the opposite is happening. (see link: CHICAGO | Boom rundown - everything over 12 floors. v6 - SkyscraperPage Forum).

According to Emporis.com Chicago has 1098 buildings over 12 stories with 39 currently under construction. Miami has 278 buildings over 12 stories with 25 currently under construction. So not only does Chicago have 5 times as many skyscrapers right now but they are also building more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 12:21 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,273,224 times
Emporis data is very outdated. Many projects in Chicago are on hold. Their data of Shanghai is so off chart that I can't believe them. It tends to overlook the new residential towers very much. I guess Miami is no exception. Besides, I agree that Miami needs act more agressively than the current speed (which is already decent) if it wants to catch up with Chicago. If there is any city that has such potential, it is Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post
Maybe this would be true if Chicago absolutely stayed still and stopped building skyscrapers altogether, but quite the opposite is happening. (see link: CHICAGO | Boom rundown - everything over 12 floors. v6 - SkyscraperPage Forum).

According to Emporis.com Chicago has 1098 buildings over 12 stories with 39 currently under construction. Miami has 278 buildings over 12 stories with 25 currently under construction. So not only does Chicago have 5 times as many skyscrapers right now but they are also building more.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Emporis data is very outdated. Many projects in Chicago are on hold. Besides, I agree that Miami needs act more agressively than the current speed (which is already decent) if it wants to catch up with Chicago. If there is any city that has such potential, it is Miami.
Many projects in Miami are on hold also. That's why Emporis has an "on hold" category specifically for this. I know a couple of the guys at Emporis and it is as updated as it gets. They have scouts in each city who are constantly photographing and compiling what's going on.

But it's kind of moot because it's not really close right now. Chicago has five times as many skyscrapers, and is actually building more right now so the gap between Chicago and Miami is actually widening not narrowing.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:36 PM

I totally agree that Miami is nowhere near Chicago now and it can't catch up with Chicago with the current speed.

I don't agree that Emporis data is reliable no matter what your friends say. It is reliable for the biggest projects and buildings. But below a certain height (let's say around 100m), it is almost totally random, especially for international cities. It is more accurate for US cities but not that accurate either.

Quote:
Many projects in Miami are on hold also. That's why Emporis has an "on hold" category specifically for this. I know a couple of the guys at Emporis and it is as updated as it gets. They have scouts in each city who are constantly photographing and compiling what's going on.

But it's kind of moot because it's not really close right now. Chicago has five times as many skyscrapers, and is actually building more right now so the gap between Chicago and Miami is actually widening not narrowing.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I totally agree that Miami is nowhere near Chicago now and it can't catch up with Chicago with the current speed.

I don't agree that Emporis data is reliable no matter what your friends say. It is reliable for the biggest projects and buildings. But below a certain height (let's say around 100m), it is almost totally random, especially for international cities. It is more accurate for US cities but not that accurate either.
If you have a better site let me know because I'd certainly use it. I like looking up stats like that.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:45 PM

I don't have a better cite. I just take their data with a grain of salt. For Chinese cities I'd just look at their local sites for construction updates. Also I have a sense of what kind of buildings are missing in Emporis. I just ignore their statistics below 100m. The big and tall projects are mostly accurate. However, in cities like Shanghai where almost everyday there is a 20--30 story residential tower finished, I really can't believe their statistcs in that scale. For US cities, some people on skyscrapercity also pointed out they even omitted several buildings for NYC. They have pictures etc so I believe them.

Quote:
If you have a better site let me know because I'd certainly use it. I like looking up stats like that.

Last edited by fashionguy; 07-05-2009 at 01:01 PM..

Old 07-05-2009, 01:29 PM

8,962 posts, read 12,998,198 times
Miami has gone CRAZY with construction, but what's making it harder to catch up to Chicago is the fact that in the past 10 years Chicago has also constructed 166 highrises.

That's more tall buildings than most large cities in the country have built in their existence.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...373a9bbuz0.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...15fe29a9_o.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...telPalomar.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...leniumPark.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...umParkWest.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 07-14-2012 at 03:05 PM..

Old 07-05-2009, 01:33 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,092,436 times
The difference between Chicago and Miami is that both of their skylines are very linear, but Chicago has amazing density, unlike Miami. Which looks good from far,but once close it's not as dense as your led to believe.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:41 PM

13,344 posts, read 14,185,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The difference between Chicago and Miami is that both of their skylines are very linear, but Chicago has amazing density, unlike Miami. Which looks good from far,but once close it's not as dense as your led to believe.
Not true. If you ever ride down I-95, Miami's skyline can be pretty dense. But I don't see Miami catching to Chicago. Because Chicago has the residential and business advantage over Miami. Miami will slow down. Chicago will continue to keep building.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:54 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,092,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Not true. If you ever ride down I-95, Miami's skyline can be pretty dense. But I don't see Miami catching to Chicago. Because Chicago has the residential and business advantage over Miami. Miami will slow down. Chicago will continue to keep building.
Compared to Chicago, Miami is not dense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City