Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 01:44 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
LOL, I lived in Central Florida and Southern California, trust me California is nothing like the south!
But BOTH SoCal and Central Florida are in the Sunbelt. Right???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 01:52 PM

He asked what's so great about the sunbelt. Which includes Southern California. And ALOT of southern states are in the SAME sunbelt as Southern California. So if someone prefers SoCal over CenFla, they still prefer to live in the sunbelt. You can't seperate the 2, no matter how much you want to, or how different they are. I think the great thing about the sunbelt is the diverse climates and cultures we have from Atlanta to Miami to Houston to LosAngeles.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:31 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
The OT topic was about the SUNBelt, yet this has turned in another battle of North versus South. Again, I ask you. Is CALIFORNIA the SOUTH? This, in my opinion, is about WEATHER. Cold versus Heat. Sun versus Rain versus Snow.

I even got blasted for saying I preferred Northern CALIFORNIA to Southern CALIFORNIA. Oh, I made a bad remark about the "south". Hey, Californians did you know you are now part of the SOUTH?

Give me a break.
Here is the title of the thread, "What's so great about the Sunbelt?".

The southern part of California IS in the SUNbelt, this is not about the southbelt.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:38 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default The topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Here is the title of the thread, "What's so great about the Sunbelt?".

The southern part of California IS in the SUNbelt, this is not about the southbelt.
got hijacked from the SunBelt to the South. All I was saying is that not all of the Sunbelt is in the South, i.e., California.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:53 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I thought you where going to post your side of the argument, all I saw was a rambling, deranged rant.

Are you actually delusional enough to try and blame the south for your areas demise?

Should anyone other state lookout for another before themselves. I am pretty sure the politicians elected in a state are there for the purpose of building their own state.

There really is nothing else in your post to reply to.
Actually what's ironic is that Southern migration to Dayton is what helped that area prosper in the early to mid-20th Century. Cincinnati also depended heavily on commerce from Southern states as it was one of the nations largest inland ports back in the 19th Century.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
got hijacked from the SunBelt to the South. All I was saying is that not all of the Sunbelt is in the South, i.e., California.
True.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:35 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Actually what's ironic is that Southern migration to Dayton is what helped that area prosper in the early to mid-20th Century. Cincinnati also depended heavily on commerce from Southern states as it was one of the nations largest inland ports back in the 19th Century.
Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago and many other Northern cities all benefited from the "Great Migration" from the South that first took place during WWI and again during WWII when millions from the South migrated to the North to work in the industrial plants up there. Now that the South is economically on the rise the descendants of many of those migrants are moving back to the South again.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Very agreed.

That's a lot of the reason why I started this thread and attack y'all'syez in the south. Your style of poitics and rationalizing is "every man for himself", which in a lot of ways is thinly-veiled cannibalism, and even more so, stupidity and a waste of the naturally beautiful land the south is home to. Do you really think that a wal-mart and a warehouse is more attractive than a farm with rolling acres of peach trees or filled with cows or horses? I don't, and I don't understand why we are starting all over again in a new region for the fun of it when we could just simply use what infastructure we have in the north.

Something I have probably not made clear in my past posts is that I don't really want your suburban crap to come up here, I would just like enough jobs to enable the smart planning of our urban areas that we have on the drawing boards to be implemented. To have our cities' cores to be bustling with life after 5. To breathe new life into beautiful historic districts that at one time hosted the most powerful men and women in America. Basically, to bring our cities back to where theyshould be across the nation, not just south of the Ohio. And when I see your congressmen and other leaders rejoicing that they landed a couple call centers, a few warehouses, and a Fortune 500 company that hasn't been viable in years, and then stuff it in some tackily built golf course "utopia" town, it makes me mad that people actually think this is rational. Yes, that's what America is all about, cannibalizing itself. I guess I'll take the next flight to Vancouver, Sydney, or London (or Tokyo, but I would have to learn Japanese )

And about Japan/China/rest of the freakin' world beating us at every aspect of life.... you are correct. We've been a dying country since the Oil crisis, and that has been accelerated by Bush's policies and conservative ideals like "healthcare is stupid" or "let's build more nukes so we can nuke the whole freakin' world 26 times over instead of 25" or my personal favorite "yes, the ice caps are melting like crazy and every credible scientist that has not been bought off the the Royal Dutch Shell Oil Co says that it exists, but Global Warming is not real. It's God's way of saying we need to drill in AWNR to get more oil to cool our McMansions"
Wow. Ya'll really just can't get it.

Daytonian. What if during the 1800's the citizens of Ohio had decided that Ohio should stay undeveloped so that Philadelphia, New York, and Boston could keep all the glory and so that the forest of Ohio would not be disturbed. Then you would never have had Dayton, Cincinnati, Cleveland, or Columbus become the Urban centers that they are. Yet you are expecting the South to just sit back and not try to grow just so that cities up North can be more prosperous? I really can't understand your line of thinking. It's every region in the worlds goal to be more prosperous for it's citizens whether it be the South the North Southern Italy, Indonesia where ever.

Quote:
I agree. The South exploded because of lack of unions, better taxes, and low cost of living. We did nothing to steal Midwestern jobs. They dug their own hole.
The South mostly exploded due to lower land prices because so much of the South is undeveloped. It's also because of lower labor cost. However, that's not such a good thing in this day and age because the South industry wise is starting to have to compete more globally. When it comes to global competition it's best for America to try and compete in the areas of quality, technical expertise and education. We can't possibly compete with the likes of China and Mexico when it comes to low pay so we need to try and excel more in the higher tech and skilled areas. That unfortunately is where the South still is lacking.

And the fall of the 'Rust Belt' actually is not a good thing for the South because the industries being lost there actually are not being replaced by equal industries in the South but by the same industries abroad and by lower paying service jobs in the South. Once again this is not the South's fault but more a failure to compete abroad and it actually hurts the South as well because the South has been losing manufacturing jobs too. They have mostly been replaced with lower paying service jobs.

Last edited by Galounger; 07-23-2009 at 08:59 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Isn't that Michigan? Michigan is the 20th largest state in the Union, and the UP adds significant land area. Now if you are talking about the largest colony, you are correct, I think, although PA or NY may be larger.
No. Georgia is the 21 largest state landwise and the largest east of the Mississippi. Michigan is 22 largest landwise. However, the state Michigan's includes alot of water and when you count that it's the 20th largest state.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:02 PM

624 posts, read 906,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Ya think?

Empire State of the South is the official nickname of Georgia. It signifies that this is the largest State East of the Mississippi. Nothing more, nothing less.
I hadn't heard that before, I knew it was the largest state east of the Mississippi but called "The Peach State". Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City