Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 08:12 PM

259 posts, read 454,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Because we're sick of the constant barrage of smug, unfounded and mean-spirited comments flung at us on this forum.
Are you from Dayton? I've been there many times...LOL. I wouldn't be on such a high horse about the Sunbelt if I were you.

Dayton is a ISHhole of a town. Its seen MUCH better days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:53 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,862,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesBloodAxe View Post
Dayton is a ISHhole of a town. Its seen MUCH better days.
First off, what's an ISHhole? We don't use that term in these parts.

Second, yes, Dayton has seen better days . But now, as noted by my posting name, there's a subtle difference. Due to the US Census Bureau's 2010 census, our metro area will combine with Cincinnati's to create the nation's 14th largest .

So, since we got more power as stated by the US government, amybe our stature will improve, as well. Not to sponge off Cincy, but many in the area recoginze the fact we are now connected and view us as one area. If corporate Anerica realizes that too, well then maybe we as a region can land all of the high-profile stuff we deserve as being such a large region.

Also, Dayton's made strides, but we've had way more than our fair share of knocks along the way. It is hardly fair or ethical to kick a horse with four broken legs, so why do the same to a city in the same position? Anyways, we've lost about all of our manufacturing now, anyways, so hopefully we can only go up from here

Old 07-26-2009, 07:02 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
I love the sunbelt. I like several cities in the rustbelt, but Dayton is not one of those cities. First off, there is nothing in Dayton to make me want to visit the city. I don't even think there are good jobs in Dayton. When you think of the rustbelt cities, what are chances of Dayton coming to mind over Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Cincinnati!

Cincinnati on the other hand is nice, but Dayton needs improvement.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:53 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
First off, what's an ISHhole? We don't use that term in these parts.

Second, yes, Dayton has seen better days . But now, as noted by my posting name, there's a subtle difference. Due to the US Census Bureau's 2010 census, our metro area will combine with Cincinnati's to create the nation's 14th largest .

So, since we got more power as stated by the US government, amybe our stature will improve, as well. Not to sponge off Cincy, but many in the area recoginze the fact we are now connected and view us as one area. If corporate Anerica realizes that too, well then maybe we as a region can land all of the high-profile stuff we deserve as being such a large region.

Also, Dayton's made strides, but we've had way more than our fair share of knocks along the way. It is hardly fair or ethical to kick a horse with four broken legs, so why do the same to a city in the same position? Anyways, we've lost about all of our manufacturing now, anyways, so hopefully we can only go up from here
I believe that you threw the gauntlet down by creating this thread and insulting a place in which many of us live and take pride. Then you want to invoke 'ethics' when the tables are turned and posters are doing same to your hometown. Please.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:16 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
This nothing wrong with the premise of the OT. It is a legitmate question since the sunbelt is a place you either LOVE or HATE and that is a personal preference based on WEATHER and the lifestyle that goes along with that weather. For a lot of us, that lifestyle just isn't our cup of tea. However, some posters seem to think that is an attack on THEM because that is their personal preference. Face it. We aren't clones of one another and quite frankly, what is one man's paradise, will be another man's hell.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:21 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
This nothing wrong with the premise of the OT. It is a legitmate question since the sunbelt is a place you either LOVE or HATE and that is a personal preference based on WEATHER and the lifestyle that goes along with that weather. For a lot of us, that lifestyle just isn't our cup of tea. However, some posters seem to think that is an attack on THEM because that is their personal preference. Face it. We aren't clones of one another and quite frankly, what is one man's paradise, will be another man's hell.
"Frankly, I see almost nothing good about this region."
Do you really see this statement as a springboard for legitimate debate? And the assumption that weather is all that attracts people to this region is a rather flawed one, too IMO.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:34 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
But you chose to have moved to, and choose to live in, this hell, huh? (forgive the alliteration!)

Old 07-26-2009, 08:41 AM

870 posts, read 1,569,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
"Frankly, I see almost nothing good about this region."
Do you really see this statement as a springboard for legitimate debate? And the assumption that weather is all that attracts people to this region is a rather flawed one, too IMO.
I think people tend to see their region through rose colored glasses and don't see the negatives.

I see the negatives and postivies in my region and discuss them with others. My opinions may not be popular, but to dismiss an entire region as bad because it doesn't fit your criteria is in fact very narrow minded. Funny how some of these people call the the natives of Florida (or some other state) narrow minded when they fit that moniker themselves.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:52 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,921 times
I believe there are good and bad points about every part of our nation. Wouldn't it be boring if all of us liked the exact same regions?

I prefer the sunbelt because I have a chronic health condition that flares up in cold weather. My doctors tell me that moving to the sunbelt will improve my quality of life, but not my longevity. An improvement in the quality of my life is something I look forward to. Thank goodness we live in a country that offers so many geographical and climatic differences.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:13 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
But you chose to have moved to, and choose to live in, this hell, huh? (forgive the alliteration!)

Well when you have a job and own 2 houses, it's pretty difficult to just up and move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City