Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:17 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Since much of the South is made up of people from the North, what does that say about people from the North?
What a very astute observation, if not for the fact that the states with the most North-South migration are more advanced than the states with little North-South migration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 04:26 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
What a very astute observation, if not for the fact that the states with the most North-South migration are more advanced than the states with little North-South migration.
More advanced how? Please give examples and reasons for your beliefs including migration numbers to back up your claims. I am also curious as to what type of migration occurs from "non-advanced" Northern cities to "advanced" Northern cities and which citizens from those so-called "advanced" Northern cities are actually natives and which are moving South to help "advance" the South as you claim.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:34 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
A question for the OP, have you ever been to any of the sun belt states? There is a big difference between California and Florida, or Arizona and Georgia. If I didn't have family in the Northeast I could easily see myself settling down in California. As a matter of fact, regardless I may just end up there, I'm tired of long depressing winters and cabin fever. Overcast skies for much of winter. I'll take SoCal over the rust belt or any other region of the country in a hearbeat. That's coming from a die-hard NY'er who loves the city.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:39 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
More advanced how? Please give examples and reasons for your beliefs including migration numbers to back up your claims. I am also curious as to what type of migration occurs from "non-advanced" Northern cities to "advanced" Northern cities and which citizens from those so-called "advanced" Northern cities are actually natives and which are moving South to help "advance" the South as you claim.
The map is on the last page and covers the Education Index, Gross Enrollment Index, and Adult Literacy - life Expectancy - and GDP.

I never said people moving from the North to the South are advancing the South. What I posted shows that many Southern states do not rank up to states in the rest of the nation. You countered that Southern states have lots of Northern migrants, the implication being that Northerners were either hurting the South's numbers and/or not helping. I pointed out that the states with the largest amount of Northern migration, VA, GA, etc. tend to be more developed than the rest of them.

Nor did I make this a North vs South thing. The West also has many more high ranking states than the South does.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:16 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,862,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
A question for the OP, have you ever been to any of the sun belt states? There is a big difference between California and Florida, or Arizona and Georgia. If I didn't have family in the Northeast I could easily see myself settling down in California. As a matter of fact, regardless I may just end up there, I'm tired of long depressing winters and cabin fever. Overcast skies for much of winter. I'll take SoCal over the rust belt or any other region of the country in a hearbeat. That's coming from a die-hard NY'er who loves the city.
Yes, I have been to many of them, and yes, I have spent much time in them/vacationed there (sort of... in Gatlinburg at least, and NC/SC/GA on the way to Miami by car once. Also travelled through the ATL a handful of times via 75 and seen what's going on there, along with hitting up a few kitschy attractions, such as Rock City and Ruby Falls, that were nearby. Still have spent a LOT of time in the area, though.).

Still, as much as I agree that weather is important, it honestly would never influence where I lived, unless it was some god-awful desert with nothing or rainforest with about 190 poisonous and deadly snakes waiting outside your door or something.....

Old 07-08-2009, 04:58 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Eh? Who said anything about the Civil War?

It resembles the less advanced places in my region.
I'm so glad I'm not as advanced as California. Advancement must bring lots of problems including the inability to balance a budget.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:54 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
Threads like these are so unproductive.

I can't believe people for the North AND the South continue to post on these insipid threads.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:05 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Personally, I see almost nothing good about this region. Why do you all that defend it do so?
The Sunbelt is warm and has a low cost of living. A lot of companies are relocating to the Sunbelt. People move for warmth, affordability, jobs, or any combination of those reasons.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Some people prefer year round warm weather and others don't. We simply need to acknowledge that. There have been other posters, though, who seem to think that EVERYBODY would live in the Sunbelt states if they could. That is simply not true. I think is more the case than the opposite view. I can understand some people not liking the cold climate states, but I don't understand why others cannot acknowledge that there are people who like 4 seasons, cold, and SNOW.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:53 PM

174 posts, read 403,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Yes, I have been to many of them, and yes, I have spent much time in them/vacationed there (sort of... in Gatlinburg at least, and NC/SC/GA on the way to Miami by car once. Also travelled through the ATL a handful of times via 75 and seen what's going on there, along with hitting up a few kitschy attractions, such as Rock City and Ruby Falls, that were nearby. Still have spent a LOT of time in the area, though.).
Are you serious? This is what you based your opinion of an entire region of the country on? Wow. A couple of hokey tourist traps and some quick drive throughs hardly give you any idea of what it would be like to live in a city. Anyways, I guess everyone is allowed to have an opinion, no matter how uminformed it is.

I was born and raised, living 24 years just 20 minutes outside of your beloved Dayton and I did choose the sun belt. It was one of the best decisions of my life.

What's so great about it? The people for one thing. The locals in most cases are very welcoming and the transplants are estatic, believing as though they have escaped the depressing north. The weather is better (if you prefer warmer climates as most people do), the cities are growing and building new, not crumbling and losing people like many of their northern counter-parts and their economies are expanding with new opportunities. I could go on and on....

It's no different than when the north experienced such rapid growth when industry became the focal point of our country. Those days are gone. It's simple...people will go where there is an opportunity live a stable, satifying life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City