Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:44 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
What's strange for us Europeans in this debate Sunbelt/Rustbelt, is that your "Rustbelt" is actually at the same latitudes as our own "sunbelts" (between 38° North Latitude and 44° North Latitude) so we can't help thinking your climate in the Center-North of the US can't be that bad (although sure lots of people here testify to the contrary!)
Totally different. Different Continent, different side of the Earth. Weather patterns are not dictated by Latitude alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 10:53 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
What's strange for us Europeans in this debate Sunbelt/Rustbelt, is that your "Rustbelt" is actually at the same latitudes as our own "sunbelts" (between 38° North Latitude and 44° North Latitude) so we can't help thinking your climate in the Center-North of the US can't be that bad (although sure lots of people here testify to the contrary!)
Europe is warm for their latitude. That's why Europe has warm places at the same latitude as cold places in America.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:52 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Most of these Rustbelters are doing what they ought to do when they take shots at the eastern half because they know that pretty soon they'll be passed and the insults would make them look stupid (like someone from Dayton calling ATL a cowtown). What will they say then? Nothing last forever and the Rustbelt will get it again but right now we're eating.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:53 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
yes but now it is time to get over it. As much as the North wants to South to get over the Civil War and I agree with that, it's time for the North to get over the South reinventing itself. This is not the same South of the 1950s. It much resembles your region now.
Eh? Who said anything about the Civil War?

It resembles the less advanced places in my region.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:01 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post

Nobody has to say it. Actions spead louder than words. The constant negativity towards the South from people up North leads to me to believe that people in the North still believe the South is still in reconstruction. Or that they are still think the South is nothing but backwoods with nothing going for itself. I don't care about some stupid statistical map. I lived in the North and in the South. There isn't much of a difference in populated areas in both places.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nobody has to say it. Actions spead louder than words. The constant negativity towards the South from people up North leads to me to believe that people in the North still believe the South is still in reconstruction. Or that they are still think the South is nothing but backwoods with nothing going for itself. I don't care about some stupid statistical map. I lived in the North and in the South. There isn't much of a difference in populated areas in both places.
It doesn't really matter whether you care for the empirical evidence or not.

I could join the ranks of those less tactful and simply bash it as a backwoods full of bigoted rednecks, but instead here I am making the case that it simply is a much less developed part of the developed world using figures instead of anecdotes. That is inescapable fact.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:39 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Default What a title..

Quote:

..." American Human Development" ......I suppose the rankings are based upon percentages of college degrees, rate of poverty, etc...

Still, pretty controversial, and maybe just a little subjective....even if "my" states came out fairly well....

Old 07-07-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
..." American Human Development" ......I suppose the rankings are based upon percentages of college degrees, rate of poverty, etc...

Still, pretty controversial, and maybe just a little subjective....even if "my" states came out fairly well....
Every measure that stacks some people against others will maintain a degree of controversy, but empirical measures are undoubtedly better than baseless claims on either side.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:01 PM

8,615 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Every measure that stacks some people against others will maintain a degree of controversy, but empirical measures are undoubtedly better than baseless claims on either side.
Since much of the South is made up of people from the North, what does that say about people from the North?

Old 07-07-2009, 04:08 PM

159 posts, read 511,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Since much of the South is made up of people from the North, what does that say about people from the North?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City