Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:58 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I usually think of Chinatown as an urban neighborhood too. In my opinion Chinatowns are supposed to be dense and walkable, with street vendors and street life that is reminiscent of an Asian city...not a Wal-Mart strip mall with Chinese letters instead of English ones. There's nothing different about that. It's just another ugly suburban development.
Um nothing is different about decaying buildings with Chinese letters tacked on them, filled with asian food and stores. Sounds like any ordinary urban city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 11:58 AM

44 posts, read 116,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
and who are you to make that decision???

A Chinatown dosen't have to be dense and walkable, so sorry but your not of any power to make that claim.
LOL. Hey guy, It's MY opinion. This whole site is people making opinions. Jesus, calm down. I am sorry, a strip mall with chinese restaurants selling Dim sum and Chinese art is not a "chinatown". Have you ever been to a real chinatown? Manhatten's, Philly's, Boston's, San Fran's?

Actually, if you are so all about Charlotte, have you ever been to a real city? You know a city with real urban neighborhoods, and not strip malls and housing plans.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Um nothing is different about decaying buildings with Chinese letters tacked on them, filled with asian food and stores. Sounds like any ordinary urban city.
What a retarded stereotype? Decaying buildings? you obviously never been to any of the chinatowns mentioned above if you think that is what a chinatown really is. Seriously, that is pretty pethetic. Chinatowns in New York and Boston have been there since Chinese immigrants lived there in the 1800s. They have real chinese architecture, Chinese streetscapes, etc. They arn't cheesy stripmalls. Everytown (small towns around 1000 people included) has stripmalls with chinese restaurants.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatemorons View Post
LOL. Hey guy, It's MY opinion. This whole site is people making opinions. Jesus, calm down. I am sorry, a strip mall with chinese restaurants selling Dim sum and Chinese art is not a "chinatown". Have you ever been to a real chinatown? Manhatten's, Philly's, Boston's, San Fran's.

Actually, if you are so all about Charlotte, have you ever been to a real city? You know a city with real urban neighborhoods, and not strip malls and housing plans.
Taking up moreso for Houston, but I've been to DC. You turned a fact into an opinion. "Sorry Charlotte, blahblah, you guys don't have a Chinatown". It's like me saying I picture a real Chinatown being filled with large parking lots and small sidewalks, and saying the Chinatowns in SF or NY are fake.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Taking up moreso for Houston, but I've been to DC. You turned a fact into an opinion. "Sorry Charlotte, blahblah, you guys don't have a Chinatown". It's like me saying I picture a real Chinatown being filled with large parking lots and small sidewalks, and saying the Chinatowns in SF or NY are fake.
Hey, if you think Chinatowns built in a 90s strip mall is a real chinatown, and the ones in New York and San Fran built since the mid 1800s, and have actual Chinese architecture, culture, and history arn't, then rock on man.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
What a retarded stereotype? Decaying buildings? you obviously never been to any of the chinatowns mentioned above if you think that is what a chinatown really is. Seriously, that is pretty pethetic. Chinatowns in New York and Boston have been there since Chinese immigrants lived there in the 1800s. They have real chinese architecture, Chinese streetscapes, etc. They arn't cheesy stripmalls. Everytown (small towns around 1000 people included) has stripmalls with chinese restaurants.
Whoa, your calling someone else on stereotypes?? Everything you say is pathetic, but we deal with it because we have to.

You need to realize, not everyone wants to live in dense urban cities or not every Chinatown is going to be like NY's or SF. A Chinatown is a Chinatown, Houston's Chinatown is in a very Asian dominated part of the city. We actually have two, but the older one "close to downtown" is dying, and it was moved out into the suburban part.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Hey, if you think Chinatowns built in a 90s strip mall is a real chinatown, and the ones in New York and San Fran built since the mid 1800s, and have actual Chinese architecture, culture, and history arn't, then rock on man.
I consider each type a Chinatown, it's you who needs to open your mind up more.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:08 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
That's the thing though...it is completely different. It's not like any ordinary urban city. It's a place where Asians live, work and play. It's not just a Walmart area. If the weather is nice enough, I make the walk from the Hancock Tower to South Station every day after work, which brings me right through Chinatown. As soon as I'm there, everything looks and acts differently. There are street vendors all throughout Boston, but in Chinatown the style of it all is much different. It's hard to explain just through words, so if it's nice enough to walk today, I will take some pictures of what it looks like.

I will try to post some pictures of what the streets look like on the way to Chinatown, and then what it looks like when I'm actually in Chinatown. You will notice that much of the street life is much different in this neighborhood in comparison to others.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I consider each type a Chinatown, it's you who needs to open your mind up more.
Ok dude. I will go to a chinese restaurant out in the exurb of my city tonight and eat some dim sum, and it will be the same as walkign around Manhattens chinatown.

God, Is this dude really trying to argue that Stripmalls with chinese restaurants compare with New York and San Fran? Am I reading this correctly?

Old 07-08-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
That's the thing though...it is completely different. It's not like any ordinary urban city. It's a place where Asians live, work and play. It's not just a Walmart area. If the weather is nice enough, I make the walk from the Hancock Tower to South Station every day after work, which brings me right through Chinatown. As soon as I'm there, everything looks and acts differently. There are street vendors all throughout Boston, but in Chinatown the style of it all is much different. It's hard to explain just through words, so if it's nice enough to walk today, I will take some pictures of what it looks like.

I will try to post some pictures of what the streets look like on the way to Chinatown, and then what it looks like when I'm actually in Chinatown. You will notice that much of the street life is much different in this neighborhood in comparison to others.
Have you been to the Chinatown in Houston??? First off, no Wal-Mart, second off everything from stores, banks, malls, fast food, local places,etc all in Chinese. The only difference is , is that it's suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City