Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:59 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,863,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Two_Times View Post
mboyle1988, why don't you like liberals? I guess you prefer conservative blowhards like Limbaugh, Gingrich, Buchanen, Hannity, and Koulter?
There are enough blowhards on both sides to go around. If the OP wants a more conservative environment in which to live, there's nothing wrong with that. Thank God we live in a country where you can live where you want.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:15 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,811 times
All three cities are incredibly similar; and believe it or not, all three have the same level of cultural offerings. All three have blue urban centers surrounded staunch red areas. In fact the three Congressional architects of the 1994 Contract With America come from the burbs of each city: Newt Gingrich (Speaker of the House) of suburban Atlanta, Tom DeLay (House Majority Whip) of suburban Houston, and Dick Armey (House Majority Leader) of suburban Dallas. So if conservatism is your bag then...

Anyways here's a brief breakdown:
  • Houston is the more international of the three. All three are very diverse and cosmopolitan, but Houston has a reputation for having a very large and noticeable international population. It's climate is the most similar to Florida's and is located right on the Gulf Coast. Given that the other two are inland, a beach is a beach at this point. The downsides to Houston are poor public transport, stifling heat and humidity, and poor aesthetics when driving on the main arteries. It's also the more spread out of the three, which isn't saying much I guess.
  • Dallas is the most conservative of the three, as well as the most conventional. It's laid out in a nice grid and not too much stands out in regards to uniqueness in architecture and natural setting. It has a large young population and offers a great quality of life. It's also the best planned of the three with an expanding transit system and road network. It has excellent urban neighborhoods as well. The winters in Dallas are very mild and can even be bordering on hot some days. If it gets cold, it lasts no longer than a day or two. The downsides to Dallas are bland natural features and a tendency to be a little more family-oriented than the three--which may not suit a single person.
  • Atlanta is probably the most liberal of the three. It has a number of very ecclectic neighborhoods and a large vibrant young population as it's the destination for many ACC and SEC grads. It also attracts a lot of recent college grads from elsewhere in the country. The significant number of prominent universities in the city contributes to the vibrancy of the young adult population. Not to mention that Atlanta has a vibrant nightlife and live music scene. Out of the three, it probably is the most appealing aesthetically with a large urban tree canopy and a proximate location near the foot of the mountains. The downsides are that out of the three it currently has the weakest economy. It is also laid out in a very confusing manner with streets suddenly changing names and directions. Although the public transport in Atlanta is the best out of the three, horrible traffic problems continue due to inept State leadership. It also has the cooler winters of the three, but not by much compared to Dallas.

Last edited by south-to-west; 07-07-2009 at 01:33 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 01:20 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,839,547 times
^ This last post is pretty accurate.

Sounds to me like you'd like Houston best. But you mention Dallas is better for your career. What is your career goal (sorry if I missed it, I read through and couldn't find it)

Old 07-07-2009, 02:05 PM

90 posts, read 226,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
^ This last post is pretty accurate.

Sounds to me like you'd like Houston best. But you mention Dallas is better for your career. What is your career goal (sorry if I missed it, I read through and couldn't find it)
Oh I'm interested in Global Management Consulting, with a focus in travel and transportation. I'd eventually like to be in upper level management at an airline, and three of the big six US airlines are based in Texas, and a fourth (Delta) in Atlanta. Every consulting firm has an office in New York, all but one have an office in Boston, most also have offices in Chicago, San Francisco and LA. In the south, Atlanta is the most popular office location, followed by Dallas, followed by Houston, followed by Miami (only three firms have offices in Miami, that I know of, though the number 1 and number 2 firms comprise two of those three).

Old 07-07-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle1988 View Post
Oh I'm interested in Global Management Consulting, with a focus in travel and transportation. I'd eventually like to be in upper level management at an airline, and three of the big six US airlines are based in Texas, and a fourth (Delta) in Atlanta. Every consulting firm has an office in New York, all but one have an office in Boston, most also have offices in Chicago, San Francisco and LA. In the south, Atlanta is the most popular office location, followed by Dallas, followed by Houston, followed by Miami (only three firms have offices in Miami, that I know of, though the number 1 and number 2 firms comprise two of those three).
In this economy, you move to where the job is. Given the similarity of the three urban areas, this shouldn't be too much of a predicament. Now if this was 1995, then we could have a more extensive conversation. Now get off of these boards and start polishing up and sending out that resume...

Old 07-07-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
There is a difference between voting for Democrats for cultural, racial or economic reasons and voting for Democrats because of philosophical reasons. I don't mind people who vote for Democrats at all. I mind Liberals. Why I mind them is my business, but the point is, I don't want to have to deal with them ever again in my life if I don't have to. The industry I plan to work in is dominated by conservatives (like most industries), so I'd also like to live in as conservative a place as possible that still has the trappings of a city.
I didn't read this earlier post...OUCH! I consider myself pretty liberal and I shudder when I see a Sarah Palin sticker, but I don't base the company I keep on political persuasions. I have staunchly conservative friends and bleeding heart liberal friends. I have friends who buy everyone of Sean Hannity's books (shudder) and I have friends that won't miss a showing of a new Michael Moore documentary in a theater (including me I guess). And I love them all. Don't be that guy. This is the real world, son. The guy that gives you your first job may be a bleeding heart liberal who donates a portion of his check to MoveOn.org and volunteers for ACORN. My first boss who hired me was a die hard, meat and potatoes, right-wing conservative Republican and he was one of the best managers I've had in my career.

Wherever you work and wherever you live, you'll find people with opposing political views. And here in Atlanta, you will find a lot...a lot...of white-collar professionals that are very liberal and you will find public sector workers that are very conservative. That's the thing with living in a city--you're constantly surrounded by others with different beliefs, backgrounds, ethnicities, and values. If you can't handle that, then you should reconsider living in a major city--whether it's in the burbs or urban center.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:45 PM

90 posts, read 226,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
I didn't read this earlier post...OUCH! I consider myself pretty liberal and I shudder when I see a Sarah Palin sticker, but I don't base the company I keep on political persuasions. I have staunchly conservative friends and bleeding heart liberal friends. I have friends who buy everyone of Sean Hannity's books (shudder) and I have friends that won't miss a showing of a new Michael Moore documentary in a theater (including me I guess). And I love them all. Don't be that guy. This is the real world, son. The guy that gives you your first job may be a bleeding heart liberal who donates a portion of his check to MoveOn.org and volunteers for ACORN. My first boss who hired me was a die hard, meat and potatoes, right-wing conservative Republican and he was one of the best managers I've had in my career.

Wherever you work and wherever you live, you'll find people with opposing political views. And here in Atlanta, you will find a lot...a lot...of white-collar professionals that are very liberal and you will find public sector workers that are very conservative. That's the thing with living in a city--you're constantly surrounded by others with different beliefs, backgrounds, ethnicities, and values. If you can't handle that, then you should reconsider living in a major city--whether it's in the burbs or urban center.
That's fine, as long as the culture is conservative and the state government is Republican, I'll be fine. I loved Boston, remember, and most of my friends from high school, actually all, are liberals, but the ones who are not my friends were very very mean to me. I'm not even by nature a very political person, so it's not like I would start these debates, but I didn't just say what they wanted me to. Of course, these were like 16 year olds. Maybe people get more mature by age 30, but judging from my Dad's experience in Boston, they probably don't. He eventually left for Arizona, even though he had lived in Boston his whole life.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
That's fine, as long as the culture is conservative and the state government is Republican, I'll be fine. I loved Boston, remember, and most of my friends from high school, actually all, are liberals, but the ones who are not my friends were very very mean to me.
Well there's a word for folks like that--a__holes...or I guess jerks is more family-friendly . Trust me, in the real world people argue and debate politics all of the time; but the ones who are intolerant and need to resort to childish, personal attacks tend to be rejects. Just be yourself.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:54 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,375 times
Quote:
That's fine, as long as the culture is conservative and the state government is Republican, I'll be fine. I loved Boston, remember, and most of my friends from high school, actually all, are liberals, but the ones who are not my friends were very very mean to me. I'm not even by nature a very political person, so it's not like I would start these debates, but I didn't just say what they wanted me to. Of course, these were like 16 year olds. Maybe people get more mature by age 30, but judging from my Dad's experience in Boston, they probably don't. He eventually left for Arizona, even though he had lived in Boston his whole life.
Wow. Don't believe for a second that the culture in Houston is conservative. Sure, this city is home to Joel Osteen's megachurch, but we're also pretty high on the per capita strip club charts. As a Texas variety liberal, I feel extremely comfortable and well represented in my city. My recommendation to you would be to stick to the far out 'burbs and avoid ever leaving your home except to go to church if liberalism is so intolerable for you. Maybe you can work from home and never need to interact with anyone who upholds an ideology opposite to yours. The sad fact is people of every political cloth weave jabs and insults into their arguments when people disagree with them. We're in this massive economic and political morass right now because people have stopped communicating and listening to each other and hidden behind their ideologies, their talking points and their witty barbs. Perhaps you can demonstrate to us how people need to "get more mature" by understanding this point yourself and taking the first step.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:27 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
Dallas has a lot of single-oriented areas - I know some folks who creep out at the sight of children!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City