U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What city would you rather reside?
Atlanta 53 38.13%
Philly 86 61.87%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:52 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,600,180 times
Racism in Philly....

Philadelphia-Area Swim Club Accused of Racism to Ask Kids Back - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Could a northerner explain this to me? I know this didn't happen up North where everythings perfect!!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
beautiful thing about CD is that you've been quoted.

you're cute Lamexican.....isn't it past your bedtime?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:55 PM

5,973 posts, read 3,409,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
Racism in Philly....

Philadelphia-Area Swim Club Accused of Racism to Ask Kids Back - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Could a northerner explain this to me? I know this didn't happen up North where everythings perfect!!
You do know the law of innocent until proven guilty? Or is that not the law in the south? There has been no trial on that case yet.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
You do know the law of innocent until proven guilty? Or is that not the law in the south? There has been no trial on that case yet.

What a comeback...I'm impressed

Old 07-12-2009, 11:58 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,041,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Not sure what you're referring to with the last couple of election cycles...as I said, the bigotry I saw coming out of some northern and midwestern states during last year's presidential campaign looked like something straight out of the 60's.

And I'm a Black guy, born and raised in the South (SC as a matter of fact), and I've never had a racial slur aimed at me or nothing of the sort. Just like any region, you're going to have your towns that are stuck in one era and those that are more progressive. I don't deny that. What I'm calling you out on is when you essentially said that we've not made any progress in that area. African Americans in particular wouldn't be moving back to the South en masse if that were the case.
Here let remind you about how easily the south is swayed....Save the sanctity of Marriage. Did those that spewed that line rant against adultery or divorce or the vary things that threaten marriage? No!! they were talking about denying the same rights to others and the south fell right in line. You may not have experienced the south, but many have. Why don't try dressing baggy and talking to those progressive southerners and see how they treat you....They will dismiss you before you even open your mouth cause they judge everyone. (not all, but much more than in the north). They are way more judgemental and less progressive.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Racism in Philly....

The north is far from perfect as is anywhere. Those that make discriminatory comments however should stop trying to make excuses for their bigotry. Instead they should reflect and see the wrongs in their ways. I understand that is difficult when you're surrounded by like minded bigots as in the south.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
you're cute Lamexican.....isn't it past your bedtime?
Way past my bedtime...but I work overtime against bigots.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:04 AM

8,190 posts, read 6,200,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Here let remind you about how easily the south is swayed....Save the sanctity of Marriage. Did those that spewed that line rant against adultery or divorce or the vary things that threaten marriage? No!! they were talking about denying the same rights to others and the south fell right in line. You may not have experienced the south, but many have. Why don't try dressing baggy and talking to those progressive southerners and see how they treat you....They will dismiss you before you even open your mouth cause they judge everyone. (not all, but much more than in the north). They are way more judgemental and less progressive.
You're going off on a major tangent now and I don't even know what you're talking about. I just told you that I'm a Black guy born and raised in SC, I now live in Charlotte, and you say that I "may not have experienced the South." WTF??? As I stated before, by saying earlier that the South has made no progress whatsoever when it comes to bigotry and claiming that it is the exclusive domain of the South discredits anything else you have to say about the subject. I didn't say bigotry has been eliminated, because it hasn't--not here, not in the North or anywhere else--nor did I claim such, so throwing up examples left and right doesn't justify your grossly misinformed position in the least.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You're going off on a major tangent now and I don't even know what you're talking about. I just told you that I'm a Black guy born and raised in SC, I now live in Charlotte, and you say that I "may not have experienced the South." WTF??? As I stated before, by saying earlier that the South has made no progress whatsoever when it comes to bigotry and claiming that it is the exclusive domain of the South discredits anything else you have to say about the subject. I didn't say bigotry has been eliminated, because it hasn't--not here, not in the North or anywhere else--nor did I claim such, so throwing up examples left and right doesn't justify your grossly misinformed position in the least.
Then why don't you explain the already bigoted statement made by a southerner tonight. I suspect you turn a blind eye to it based on your post. The south is extremely bigoted and you saying no doesn't change the fact.

Where is the KKK the strongest?

Old 07-13-2009, 12:09 AM

Sad day it has become when those that were the previous victims of the southern bigotry are either ignoring the modern southern bigotry or are defending it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City