Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you rather reside?
Atlanta 53 38.13%
Philly 86 61.87%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:56 PM

157 posts, read 397,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Keep in mind that thePhiladephia metro is 4500 sq miles Atlantas is 9000 sq miles.
I'll repeat what many have already said - Atlanta doesn't pick the counties in its metro area, the Census people determine that based primarily on commuting patterns.

In any event, that's about twice as large in land area. However, if you divided metro Atlanta's growth rate by 10, it would have still grown faster proportionately than metro Philly.

Quote:
Atlanta is also the unoffical capital of the entire southeast whereas Philadephia is capital of SE PA,N Delaware and South jersey and has 2 global goliaths within 100 miles of it. Also try to remember that the Philadlephia region had its Sunbelt like boom 150 years ago, its on a different lifecycle than atlanta. The Philadlephia regions growth spurt has long since passed, Its Atlantas ,dallas,Houstons time to grow. But that doesnt mean that the philadlephia area isnt a great place to live and doesnt meant you need to disparage it.
Not sure what the relevance is of Philly being close to other large cities - only seems to me like it would make the area even more attractive, if anything.

On the second point - Philly having a boom long ago - that may be true for the central city, but how do you explain the Philly suburbs? Their growth, at best, has been middle of the pack. Other old, ex-industrial cities - Chicago comes to mind immediately - have seen enormous growth in certain suburban counties. McHenry County in suburban Chicago had growth rates that could rival just about any Sun Belt city, and Cook County, IL basically stayed flat in population. So it IS possible for old cities to have hyper-booming suburbs and not steadily depopulate - but Philly has not done either.

Disparage? Please. Sun Belt cities are disparaged like dirty lepers on this site. I've simply taken the liberty of pointing out that dense old East Coast cities, full to the brim with "culture" as they might be, are clearly not for everybody, and migration patterns irrefutably demonstrate this. Some people on this site just don't get that. "Density" and this nebulous thing called "cultural history" are the only criterion on which they judge cities - and when other people value different things in metro areas - available land, low cost, vibrant economics, low taxes, warm climate - they are treated like they are from another planet. Again, migration patterns would seem to suggest that *substantially* more people value low cost, low tax, warm, and yes, sprawling, cities as opposed to some dense "urban jewel." I don't have a problem with people who prefer the dense "urban jewels", their preferences are simply the polar opposite of mine.

Quote:
Philadelphia is a 300 yr old former industrial behemoth, a city built before the invention of the automobile. Along with some unreplicable jewels that were built its bound to have developed some major scar tissue as well. For a city as dense and old as Philly it is irrational to expect Philly to fare as well as Atlanta which is newer and much more spread out. Phillys density is almost 3.5x that of Atlanta.
That density is one of many reasons why I would choose Atlanta over Philadelphia. As far as "scars", Atlanta has the (rather serious) scar of Jim Crow, and yet is still highly educated and highly affluent. And there are dense, old cities that do have similar wealth and educational attainment levels as Atlanta.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:02 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,578 times
I'm not an Atlanta or a Philadelphia fan, but I think I'd prefer Atlanta if I could reside on the Northern end.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:02 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Your obese fried chicken eating Atlanta women don't have nothing on the sexy women of all races that can be found in Philadelphia. Hot women like urban cities not strip mall cities like Atlanta!
Daily, Philly Cheesesteaks and fried chicken can both clog the arteries.I thought you were better than the above.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:57 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
Quote:
Your obese fried chicken eating Atlanta women don't have nothing on the sexy women of all races that can be found in Philadelphia. Hot women like urban cities not strip mall cities like Atlanta!
Are you calling that woman obese?!??

man, now I see why you northerners call southerns fat.....that my friend, is thick! She's fat in all the right places.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:27 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,087,903 times
Quote:
Rascist comment. You just made the north look bad.

Atl does have alot of fine chix though. Nice and thick just how i like them

Old 07-08-2009, 02:12 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,612,891 times
I'm going with Atlanta on this one. Atlanta has the better jobs and Atlanta has a brighter future than Philly. Philly is an old city and parts of it looks old and third world. Atlanta grows 100,000 people annually and doesn't seem like it going to slow down anytime soon.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
LOL ok. Why dont ATL accept defeat? ... Look at the poll results. There are good looking women everywhere.

You live in VA Beach, I wouldn't comment on Atlanta or Philly. I use to be stationed at Langley and the Hampton Roads area sucks....I know you're miserable there.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:18 AM

Atlanta is better IMO....

Old 07-08-2009, 02:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Yikes... Atlanta with better night life then Philly??? You haven't partied in Philly if you think everything closes at 2am.

I'm from Virginia and I also think Atlanta has a better nightlife than Philly. The only reason why Philly is leading this poll anyway because other people from the NE would choose a city in the NE over the SE anyway.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:44 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,348 times
Atlanta must have a jones for Philly based on the number of threads it has here. I voted for Philly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.