Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:32 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Never heard it in Texas. I've heard it from Texans in N.O. and read it on these forums. They often claim it has enough culture to compete with N.O.

The only places I go to in Texas are Dallas and Houston, which is the only place I really like/care about in Texas.
I've heard it on here before.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 09:54 PM

402 posts, read 850,198 times
- San Diego- beach, trolley, wannabe LA

- New Orleans- French quarter, cajun, unique

- San Antonio- River walk, great Mexican food

- Washington D.C.- Home, Redskins, Metro, Ben's chili bowl

- Austin- Funky, UT, college town, that guy who went bat )^%$ crazy in the bell tower

- San Jose- Rich &^@ suburb of SanFran, Sharks

- Atlanta- Southern capital, ATL, MARTA, rap, Braves

- Denver- Cold, Chipotle, Broncos, Rockies (both), Mile High

- Philadelphia- Independance, Rocky, senior class trip, drunk Eagle fans

- Detroit- Cars, Red Wings, Greektown, Home Improvement

Old 07-10-2009, 01:14 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,780,976 times
Default The first thing that comes to mind when you hear.... (cities) part III

Here's the third list of this 5 part series....

What comes to mind when you hear:

- Pittsburgh

- Fort Worth

- Orlando

- Boston

- Nashville

- Kansas City

- Buffalo

- Charlotte

- Cleveland

- Omaha

Old 07-10-2009, 01:23 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,399,629 times
- Pittsburgh: Pretty skyline at the point where two rivers meet

- Fort Worth: ehh... next to Dallas (sorry)

- Orlando: Disney World

- Boston: Back Bay neighborhood

- Nashville: Country Music

- Kansas City: Enormous highways for its population size

- Buffalo: Bills

- Charlotte: Growing fast

- Cleveland: Lake Erie

- Omaha: Omaha Steaks

Old 07-10-2009, 01:27 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,437,061 times
- Pittsburgh... Steelers

- Fort Worth... Cowboy Hat

- Orlando... Tolls

- Boston... This lady from Boston that lives on the next block

- Nashville... Country Music

- Kansas City... Chiefs

- Buffalo... Wings

- Charlotte... Baby Atlanta

- Cleveland... Browns

- Omaha... Nebraska

Old 07-10-2009, 01:33 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,547,104 times
ok i'll try this..

- Pittsburgh - Steel and Steelers, carnegie mellon, Heinz Field and Ketchup

- Fort Worth - conservative cowboy hat wearing texas, homophobic police, belt buckles and big texas hair, square dancing

- Orlando - Disney/Universal Studios ect, crime, Hot, Penny Hardaway

- Oklahoma City - bombing, tornados, real cowboys, huge geographical area, very conservative and religious

- Nashville - country music!, CMT, live music bars, Opry, Vanderbilt

- Kansas City - Arrowhead/Chiefs, bbq

- Buffalo - Wings, Bills, Cold, rough town

- Charlotte -BOA and muggsy bogues

- Cleveland - "ROCKS!" Lebron, the Browns,

- Omaha - my friend Lorenzo, Comaha, corn, Buffett

Old 07-10-2009, 01:46 PM

3,805 posts, read 9,282,464 times
- Pittsburgh >>> Pictures found in Social Studies books.

- Fort Worth >>> I think of less than it actually is - - Sundance Square, legitimate cowtown.

- Orlando >>> Motorhome life. Mickey Mouse Ear beanie hats. The Castle in blue at night. The Haunted Mansion ride, which I suddenly wish I was on right now.

- Boston >>> I can't get past the accent. Liquor drinkers. Loudmouths.

- Nashville >>> Mutated dreams. I know that incredible things have happened there, but all I've seen are highway restaurants that look like anywhere else. I like the idea of Nashville more than the actual.

- Kansas City >>> 9th Street. White ghettos where my immigrant grandparents lived. Midwesterners' bare feet disappearing into thin, green blades of grass. Blue sky over blinding snow drifts. The roots of depression.

- Buffalo >>> They say Buffalo is like a college town. I don't know. I think of jeans over sweat pants. Michelin men. Something always on the stove. Accepting that this is just life.

- Charlotte >>> Large yards rolling up to plantation-style homes. I think of the city in 1986: New red Cadillacs, double-breasted shoppers, lemonade on a tray. "Whooo!"

- Cleveland >>> Embrace the misery. I think of the stadium just off the highway (or is that Cincinnati?). Large people. The salt of the Earth.

- Omaha >>> Home. Elkhorn, where I grew up. My father trotting out into the driveway to lean into the car and honk the horn, waving at neighbors doing the same, every time the Cornhuskers scored a touchdown. Basketball goals flanking front driveways. Yellow LTDs. Community Swimming pools. Pine trees. The scent of grain and feed stores. The main attraction: a lousy mall. Seven feet of snow. Shooting dirt out of a toy rifle into my brother's eye. Milk chips. Mittens, not gloves. Trying to light the incense as an altar boy working a funeral. The sound of slamming cabinets inducing twitch urgency to straighten throw pillows.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:00 PM

3,805 posts, read 9,282,464 times
- San Diego >>> My pre-Ron Burgundy thought is that SD was always Paradise, therefore out of the question for my family. That's for Other People. I think of absolute happiness, zero involuntary sweat, being surrounded by happy people who pulled the trigger or won the lottery and were born there. I'd hate to have been born there, and never known the difference. You've got to have dreams.

- New Orleans >>> Urine.

- San Antonio >>> Well kept neighborhoods. Wide concrete streets. The drive there and back was always same-day.

- Washington D.C. >>> Home of the Whopper.

- Austin >>> Riding around town with Cliff Antone. Sharing the stage with Billy Gibbons at an awards thing. Living way over the edge. Having to move to Vegas to calm things down. Humidity. The implicit guarantee of an SRV song on the radio or being played at the airport at all times. Coeds.

- San Jose >>> Excited relaxation. It was so new to me, you could have replaced it with Pensacola and I'd still be pants-wet over finally arriving.

- Atlanta >>> Unfortunately, I think exclusively of Gangster Rappers.

- Denver >>> Arrogance. I can't get past the arrogance.

- Philadelphia >>> Pictures from Social Studies books. Horrible, horrible food. Men who have never shaved below their nose in their entire lives.

- Detroit >>> This city, like Baltimore, has zero redeeming value. Negative people from a terrible place.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:54 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,961,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
- Pittsburgh >>> Pictures found in Social Studies books.

- Fort Worth >>> I think of less than it actually is - - Sundance Square, legitimate cowtown.

- Orlando >>> Motorhome life. Mickey Mouse Ear beanie hats. The Castle in blue at night. The Haunted Mansion ride, which I suddenly wish I was on right now.

- Boston >>> I can't get past the accent. Liquor drinkers. Loudmouths.

- Nashville >>> Mutated dreams. I know that incredible things have happened there, but all I've seen are highway restaurants that look like anywhere else. I like the idea of Nashville more than the actual.

- Kansas City >>> 9th Street. White ghettos where my immigrant grandparents lived. Midwesterners' bare feet disappearing into thin, green blades of grass. Blue sky over blinding snow drifts. The roots of depression.

- Buffalo >>> They say Buffalo is like a college town. I don't know. I think of jeans over sweat pants. Michelin men. Something always on the stove. Accepting that this is just life.

- Charlotte >>> Large yards rolling up to plantation-style homes. I think of the city in 1986: New red Cadillacs, double-breasted shoppers, lemonade on a tray. "Whooo!"

- Cleveland >>> Embrace the misery. I think of the stadium just off the highway (or is that Cincinnati?). Large people. The salt of the Earth.

- Omaha >>> Home. Elkhorn, where I grew up. My father trotting out into the driveway to lean into the car and honk the horn, waving at neighbors doing the same, every time the Cornhuskers scored a touchdown. Basketball goals flanking front driveways. Yellow LTDs. Community Swimming pools. Pine trees. The scent of grain and feed stores. The main attraction: a lousy mall. Seven feet of snow. Shooting dirt out of a toy rifle into my brother's eye. Milk chips. Mittens, not gloves. Trying to light the incense as an altar boy working a funeral. The sound of slamming cabinets inducing twitch urgency to straighten throw pillows.
Obviously, Charlotte has changed a lot since 1986!

Old 07-10-2009, 06:07 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,780,976 times
. . . . well, at least someone appologized before saying Dallas with Fort Worth, first.

And nate14ri, Oklahoma City was replaced by Boston....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City