Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:29 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I'm glad to know I'm a low class trashy person despite the fact that I am on my way to getting a masters degree.
Right back at you! PhD-er with discreet and tasteful tatt where nobody can see it. Honestly, I'm so tired of these ridiculous stereotypes and being judged for what's on the outside rather than for my brain and character. Perhaps someone would also like to condemn me as being stupid because I'm blonde? Or a snob because I'm English? Or a lesbian because I have short hair and occasionally wear biker boots? For crying out loud people, this is the 21st century NOT the 1950s! Nor the 1850s!!!

Just a historical note. The following members of the British royal familiy have been tattooed: King George V, King Edward VII, Prince Charles and, shortly, both Prince Harry and Prince William. Oh and Princess Zara has a tongue stud. So there

Old 07-13-2009, 03:12 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
You have no one to blame but yourself. You could have taken the high road, but you gave into a fad and lowered your class standing. I don't care what you do, but when I see the tattoos, I see low class. I don't care if your a doctor, engineer or whatever.
oh god i'm crying now, i just made so many bad life choices!!!! i'll never get a job! i'll never find love!!!!!

I hope your doctor doesn't have any!

You're really rich you know that?

The best part is, you wouldn't know if I had them if I'm wearing the right clothing.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:51 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
oh god i'm crying now, i just made so many bad life choices!!!! i'll never get a job! i'll never find love!!!!!

I hope your doctor doesn't have any!

You're really rich you know that?

The best part is, you wouldn't know if I had them if I'm wearing the right clothing.
Hehe I'm a 'heavily tattooed' female and I didn't do it to fit in with a 'fad'. I got my tattoos because *gasp* I like them?!?! Who knew, right?

Oh, and I just graduated with my second BS in Aeronautical Engineering. Better not fly in planes, they might have been designed by someone with tattoos!!!!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:09 PM

36 posts, read 198,613 times
Duluth Mn. I just visited this surprisingly vibrant city and there seemed to be a lot of tatted people......nothing wrong with it

Old 07-14-2009, 08:07 AM

315 posts, read 666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Hehe I'm a 'heavily tattooed' female and I didn't do it to fit in with a 'fad'. I got my tattoos because *gasp* I like them?!?! Who knew, right?
People, in general, like to do a lot of crazy things because they feel pressured to fit in with perceived "societal norms" or for weird reasons because they "enjoy the pain and want to forget stuff."
After all, most smokers like to smoke too but that doesn't mean it didn't start with a desire to fit in and be hip.

Quote:
Oh, and I just graduated with my second BS in Aeronautical Engineering. Better not fly in planes, they might have been designed by someone with tattoos!!!!
Intelligence or educational background has little to do with personal character, emotional health, or dignity.

(BTW, I also have a BS in aerospace engineering and even higher degrees than that.... but no tattoos!)

Anyways, to answer this poll.. I'd say that the tattoo phenomenon has been getting stronger and stronger over the years, such that it has become pretty mainstream all across the country now.

Last edited by Lancer78; 07-14-2009 at 08:50 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 08:12 AM

315 posts, read 666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Right back at you! PhD-er with discreet and tasteful tatt where nobody can see it. Honestly, I'm so tired of these ridiculous stereotypes and being judged for what's on the outside rather than for my brain and character. Perhaps someone would also like to condemn me as being stupid because I'm blonde? Or a snob because I'm English? Or a lesbian because I have short hair and occasionally wear biker boots? For crying out loud people, this is the 21st century NOT the 1950s! Nor the 1850s!!!
There are two different things you are talking about here..Things on the outside that you are born with (English, blonde) and things you voluntarily decide to do to yourself (i.e. actions).

ACTIONS do tell a lot about what the person is like on the inside. Likewise, getting a tattoo is a voluntary action and is a willful expression of your character (whether good or bad). Unlike race, skin color, and hair texture, nobody is born with a tattoo.
You decide to put one on you.

That said, I have no real problem with a small, discreet tat or two, but I think anything more than that looks ridiculous and it makes me wonder about the person's mental health.

Last edited by Lancer78; 07-14-2009 at 08:48 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 08:29 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Tatoos have been very mainstream now. I was very surprised to see how many young, suburban LI "soccer moms" now have them (small and discreet ones).

Old 07-14-2009, 08:47 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I just returned from Denver, Colorado Springs and a tour of the mountain areas of Colorado. I have never seen so many people with tattoos.

What metro area has the highest number of people with tattoos? Is it Denver or somewhere else?
I know why you may have seen so many tattoos. Colorado Springs is a military city and a lot of people in the military get tattoos.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:51 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
I'm suprised at all the judging going on this early in the thread.

I'm suprised at all of the psychics who can instantly know somebody based off of ink.

I personally don't have any tattoos but think that they are a form of art and expression just like many other things. Maybe tattoos are a good thing since they would seem to keep the judgemental and small minded people from associating with you.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:11 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
You have no one to blame but yourself. You could have taken the high road, but you gave into a fad and lowered your class standing. I don't care what you do, but when I see the tattoos, I see low class. I don't care if your a doctor, engineer or whatever.
And who made you in charge of what is trashy?
Your ignorant postings are laughable. There are many lawyers, doctors, teachers, community leaders, etc with tats. Its very pathetic that you equate image with trashiness. Actions make a person trashy, not the way they look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City