Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Alberta vs. Texas
Alberta 12 42.86%
Texas 16 57.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 06:28 AM

34 posts, read 96,326 times

Advertisements

Which state/province do you prefer the most? (Living or long term stay)

Alberta vs. Texas

Climate
Economy
Cost of living
Education
Recreation
Roads/Highways

anything else.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 08:44 AM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
-Location: Texas is a bit more central to most of North America (it's actually a 45 minute shorter flight time from Dallas to Toronto, than Calgary to Toronto).

-Culture: too subjective but I think Texas is a bit more distinctive, if this was Quebec vs. Texas you'd have more of a comparison.

-Climate: Both have extremes of heat and cold, I'll pass on this one

-Economy: This requires a bit of research and can only be compared in per capita terms
August 2013 unemployment figures..
Alberta: 4.8%
Texas: 6.4%
Labour force characteristics, seasonally adjusted, by census metropolitan area (3 month moving average) (Calgary (Alta.), Edmonton (Alta.), Kelowna (B.C.))
Local Area Unemployment Statistics Home Page

-Cost of living: Texas
average home cost in Calgary is $437,000, and in Edmonton $348,000
Map: Real estate prices across Canada - CBC

-Education: I'll venture to say Alberta, education standards seem to be falling in the US as a whole, college has become a for profit cottage industry. Canada has more affordable and attainable higher education options.
Americans head north for affordable college degrees - U.S. News

-Recreation: Alberta is more attractive in my opinion, the Canadian Rockies are stellar. However Texas has a warmer more conducive climate for recreation for those that aren't into winter sports, and has destinations like South Padre Island for nice beaches, Alberta is very land locked.

-Roads/Highways: Texas, no contest here. Though for Western Canadian cities Calgary & Edmonton have a fairly well developed freeway network (unlike Vancouver), and also decent light rail/public transit.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:40 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,604,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunemus View Post
Which state/province do you prefer the most? (Living or long term stay)

Alberta vs. Texas

Climate
Economy
Cost of living
Education
Recreation
Roads/Highways

anything else.....
Location - Alberta, it's near the Rockies, Montana, PNW, and BC (all places I love).
Culture - Both have cowboy culture, Texas has edge with Hispanic culture
Climate - southern Alberta is not too bad surprisingly, while Texas can get kinda hot
Economy - Alberta has been really booming, I'll go with Alberta on this one
COL - Alberta more expensive for sure, Texas wins
Education - dunno, I'm thinking Alberta maybe
Recreation - Alberta, no brainer, Canadian Rockies seals the deal for me
Roads - Can't beat those smooth Texas highways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City