U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:47 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,863,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Oh, and in terms of economics, Los Angeles has the 3rd highest GMP in the world despite not even being in the top 10 metros by population and it is one of the most important cities in the world for international trade.
Not technically cause the market, as you can see, is changing. It was NYC, then London, then NYC then Tokyo.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:30 PM

730 posts, read 1,196,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Yes notice how you said America. this is based on the world and LA is not up there with NYC in the world, as far as I can see

(no order)
Fashion
NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo, Milan

Finance
NYC, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Chicago

Education
Boston, NYC, London, (Stumped on what other cities)

Political
DC, NYC, Paris, Brussels, London

Transportation
NYC, Tokyo, London, Paris, Moscow

Architecture,
NYC, London, Paris, Athens, Rome
What the ****?

Seems like a very random list- as in randomly chosen to elevate NYC's status. I mean, is 'fashion' somehow an important criteria for a city being the center of the world?! And are you serious in proposing that NYC is on the same level as DC, Paris, Brussels, and London vis-a-vis political power, but somehow Beijing, Moscow, Canberra, Berlin, Seoul, Tokyo, etc are not listed? Transportation? Unless you're talking about being a transportation hub, I'm not sure what the basis for that is. And architecture makes a city the center of the world? Why?

Terrible list.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:57 PM

318 posts, read 48,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
What the ****?

Seems like a very random list- as in randomly chosen to elevate NYC's status. I mean, is 'fashion' somehow an important criteria for a city being the center of the world?! And are you serious in proposing that NYC is on the same level as DC, Paris, Brussels, and London vis-a-vis political power, but somehow Beijing, Moscow, Canberra, Berlin, Seoul, Tokyo, etc are not listed? Transportation? Unless you're talking about being a transportation hub, I'm not sure what the basis for that is. And architecture makes a city the center of the world? Why?

Terrible list.
No very good list, naming all those aspects that make New York a leading city... Transportation hub? Of course, New York is a big international port with two extremely large airports (JFK and Newark). Politcally? New York is a host to United Nations, the one and only global organization on this planet.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:10 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,487,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
? New York is a host to United Nations, the one and only global organization on this planet.
Oh, you mean the corrupt organization that has it's own political agendas and that NO COUNTRY on this planet listens to?

LOL, I would argue OPEC has ten times more influence on the world than the United Nations, and that's located in Brussels.

Yes, New York is the most important city in the country... no doubt (and by a significantly wide margin).

But to call it the center of the world? I think London, Tokyo, and Paris have equal (if not more) influence worldwide.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:12 AM

157 posts, read 214,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
LOL, I would argue OPEC has ten times more influence on the world than the United Nations, and that's located in Brussels.
Actually I LOL on this.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:39 AM

1,908 posts, read 2,487,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
Actually I LOL on this.
Really?

Don't you know how much oil has an influence on the world and the economy?

Old 07-16-2009, 12:50 AM

OPEC HQ is not in Brussels. You're are thinking about NATO, which in relatively peace time but weak world economy like it is now has little importance.

So LOL?

Old 07-16-2009, 12:51 AM

3,012 posts, read 3,330,017 times
No i think he was actually on ur hating ass side. Do the math, compare nyc to brussels. No comparison right? Right. Nobody is trying to say nyc is the center of the world i already said this on here before. The picture thats being painted is that nyc is the best overall city and if there was one, it would be it, hence the mention of the UN. It doesnt matter whats in brussels, nyc is a better overall city than it and has a global organazation like it at the same time. Nobody is saying the UN is the end all be all but its a great addition to new yorks overall prestige

Old 07-16-2009, 12:58 AM

Brussels has EU, which makes it very important in world politics. But practically what's done or not by the Council has little connection with the city itself. Same thing can be said with NYC & the UN HQ.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:16 AM

4,086 posts, read 4,833,411 times
NYC is the center of the world. Everyone knows it, but not everyone admits it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City