U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What city is your favorite, best?
Albuquerque 172 46.11%
Charlotte 146 39.14%
Omaha 55 14.75%
Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:09 PM

7,001 posts, read 7,033,165 times
I think we'll all have a better idea of what Charlotte is really like after it hosts the DNC later this summer. I've only been to the airport and the skyline is stunning. I've been to Raleigh-Durham so I vaguely have an idea what Carolina suburbia is like but those who haven't been to Charlotte (including myself) can't really make judgements saying it lacks charm or whatever worn out cliches come to mind. Based on pictures and reading up on Charlotte, it can not be denied that the city is making progressive steps for the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 09:12 PM

9,862 posts, read 5,429,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I think we'll all have a better idea of what Charlotte is really like after it hosts the DNC later this summer. I've only been to the airport and the skyline is stunning. I've been to Raleigh-Durham so I vaguely have an idea what Carolina suburbia is like but those who haven't been to Charlotte (including myself) can't really make judgements saying it lacks charm or whatever suburban cliches come to mind.
I'm not sure if a quadrennial political convention with super-tight security and hordes of protesters would be the most accurate way to judge the city. A regularly-occurring event, like Speed Street, Taste of Charlotte, or the CIAA basketball tournament, would be a better gauge.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:14 PM

7,001 posts, read 7,033,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not sure if a quadrennial political convention with super-tight security and hordes of protesters would be the most accurate way to judge the city. A regularly-occurring event, like Speed Street, Taste of Charlotte, or the CIAA basketball tournament, would be a better gauge.
Fair enough, though it will put a lens on the city and boost notoriety nonetheless.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Fair enough, though it will put a lens on the city and boost notoriety nonetheless.
I agree. For better or for worse, it will help give Charlotte some sort of "big city" reputation nationwide.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:39 AM

4,711 posts, read 4,884,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
Charlotte rarely ever gets talked about in any thread that I've see. Charlotte has no character or no charm, and no uniqueness about it that gives it the edge like Albuquerque does, what exactly is Charlotte even known for other than the bobcats? Does anybody ever even bring up anything special about Charlotte? Charlotte is just another city living in other nearby cities shadows that nobody cares about.
There's really no need to start trashing Charlotte, especially when it was a Denver poster who made the back-handed comments about your city.

Just to give you some history (assuming that you are not the reincarnation of the OP ), this thread was started because a poster from Milwaukee made some rather harsh comments about Abq, Omaha, and Charlotte 3 years ago. For whatever reason, the Abq-based OP wanted to "set the record straight" about these three cities. What could have been a friendly exchange quickly turned into a thread about how Abq is "better" than the other two cities.
Quote:
Based on pictures and reading up on Charlotte, it can not be denied that the city is making progressive steps for the future.
This is a fair statement, but dislike towards the "new kids on the block" is a very common practice on city vs city. Being that Charlotte is southern (and not a tier 1 southern city like Atl, Houston, and Dallas) makes it even worse.

At any rate, here are a few more recent pics of Charlotte.

Charlotte from atop Duke Energy Center | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Charlotte from atop Duke Energy Center | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Aerial of Charlotte Skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Downtown Charlotte and the South End as seen from the Ashton Apartments - MetroScenes.com - Charlotte Skyline - City Skyline and Urban Photography by Matt Robinson - Prints for Sale

Long Pan of Uptown Charlotte - YouTube

And since Speedstreet was mentioned, here is video of folks riding the lightrail to night time Speedstreet activities.

Charlotte, NC, Speed Street, LightRail Ride - YouTube

^^^This was NOTHING compared to the packed train I rode last week after a soldout Coldplay concert. FWIW, the above pics don't represent all of Charlotte; just central Charlotte (which is why the hardcore urban-lovers on city vs city hate Charlotte so much). The effort to change the layout and built environment of certain corridors within the city is certainly there. However, Charlotte will never look like a pre-1950s city simply because it isn't one. Even with the obvious short-comings, people are choosing Charlotte with their feet. Last decade, Charlotte had the fastest urbanized area population growth.

"Among urbanized areas with populations of 1 million or more, the Charlotte, N.C.-S.C., area grew at the fastest rate, increasing by 64.6 percent, followed by the Austin, Texas, area, at 51.1 percent, and Las Vegas-Henderson, Nev., at 43.5 percent. The Charlotte and Austin areas also had the highest rates of land area change, increasing by 70.5 percent and 64.4 percent, respectively."
Newsroom: 2010 Census: Growth in Urban Population Outpaces Rest of Nation, Census Bureau Reports

Though I am not a fan of the sprawl that causes bloated urbanized areas, it does go to show that places like Charlotte, Austin, and Raleigh (though all of them are some of the most hated cities on this forum) are LOVED by actual people looking for a better life and a pleasant place to settle down in. To me, THAT's what really counts. However, to suggest that cities like Charlotte and Austin aren't even trying to increase their urban hefts is a laugh.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 07-12-2012 at 05:59 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 292 times
1.Charlotte
2.2nd worst city in usa
3.Worst city in usa

Old 07-12-2012, 02:38 PM

419 posts, read 368,234 times
This poll speaks for itself!

Old 07-12-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
This poll speaks for itself!
Actual population statistics speak louder.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:25 PM

74 posts, read 57,268 times
Quote:
Nothing oversold about the statement I made, when it's the truth, and reality.

You make fun of how I brought up the balloon fiesta, but yet you are from PHX, which I think is really really funny. I don't think you should be the one to laugh..

Phx= More sprawl , Terrible heat , Less character, less interesting, more tract housing , tries too hard to be like LA, no uniqueness what so ever, no charm

that my friend, is a city that is oversold on.

This poll speaks for itself. I rest my case.
Quote:
Albuquerque is far superior in each and every aspect on anything Charlotte has to offer.

Charlotte has no character, no charm, nothing that stands out and makes it unique a place to be.

I Lived in ABQ for 21 years... its basically a medium city with a small town mentality, and big city problems and crime. It has nice weather about 6 months out of the year, miserable and depressing the other 6 months (sunny and windy 40 degree high temps, no snow and dirt and dead vegetation scenery flat out sucks.) Couldnt wait to get out of there to PHX, then Hawaii then back to PHX. Everyone bashes the phx heat but hanging out in the pool with a cold drink in hand 9 months out of the year is a good life to me... and its only really hot 2-3 months, then perfect the rest of the year.

Back to the Charlotte argument... its has very solid weather, close enough to the ocean, but not too close to where hurricanes become a major issue, close to mountains, close to other major metros, pro sports, cheap cost of living. If my gf wasn't scared of the mass amounts of large insects, i would strongly consider moving there haha.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:09 PM

706 posts, read 1,720,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazyo View Post
I Lived in ABQ for 21 years... its basically a medium city with a small town mentality, and big city problems and crime. It has nice weather about 6 months out of the year, miserable and depressing the other 6 months (sunny and windy 40 degree high temps, no snow and dirt and dead vegetation scenery flat out sucks.) Couldnt wait to get out of there to PHX, then Hawaii then back to PHX. Everyone bashes the phx heat but hanging out in the pool with a cold drink in hand 9 months out of the year is a good life to me... and its only really hot 2-3 months, then perfect the rest of the year.

Back to the Charlotte argument... its has very solid weather, close enough to the ocean, but not too close to where hurricanes become a major issue, close to mountains, close to other major metros, pro sports, cheap cost of living. If my gf wasn't scared of the mass amounts of large insects, i would strongly consider moving there haha.
Good thing you MOVED to Phoenix......a big city with Big City CRIME, and wana be LA mentality except it's a freaken dust bowl!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City