Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:13 AM

330 posts, read 681,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Definitely love the northerney/Canadian accent. Didn't like it on Sarah Palin, though.
There is no "Canadian accent", just like there is no "American accent". There are multiple accents in Canada that sound nothing like each other just like there are in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
The PNW because we don't have one. Ours is as close to the stereo-typical "American" accent as you can get.
A sterotypical "American" accent is still an accent. It is just not regional. To someone from England, you would still have a very strong "funny foreign accent".

Old 07-13-2009, 02:19 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Two_Times View Post
A sterotypical "American" accent is still an accent. It is just not regional. To someone from England, you would still have a very strong "funny foreign accent".
Right, but our accent sounds like the accent most British people would think of when they imagine an "American accent".

Old 07-13-2009, 02:20 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
As a woman, it makes me want to punch you in the throat until you learn to speak like a human being.

Accents in general don't bother me until they reach that "overwhelming" level. There's a point at which I feel that words became so misshapen by an accent that it's beyond ridiculous. I have a friend from Maine and god help me if I don't want to strangle her. She just has to know how she sounds, no one sounds that ridiculous without being conscious of the fact. It sounds like Captain Ahab were fighting with Spock.

I prefer the accent of the highly educated American. It has very little variation from one person to the next. Welcome to 2009.
Punching, eh? I guess I'm cool with that. What's our safe word?

Old 07-13-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Right, but our accent sounds like the accent most British people would think of when they imagine an "American accent".
I disagree. When people outside the US think of an accent that "regular Americans" have, they don't think of the accents they usually see in t.v. and movies. If anything, they think of a Texas accent. At least that's my experience.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
I disagree. When people outside the US think of an accent that "regular Americans" have, they don't think of the accents they usually see in t.v. and movies. If anything, they think of a Texas accent. At least that's my experience.
Well I have no idea why that would be. In any case, you're right the "normal American accent" is prevalent in tv and film as well as the news - and that's what we have in the PNW.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:30 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,286 times
Quote:
The PNW because we don't have one. Ours is as close to the stereo-typical "American" accent as you can get. I hate southern and eastern accents, you all sound uneducated and fake.
I disagree. I met a handful of people from Eugene and Portland, OR and they sound nothing like the t.v. accent. They sounded West Coastish or Californian, but different.

I honestly found it annoying.

The typical generic accent is more of a generic midwestern sound.

And foreigners usually think of loud and obnoxious or the texas cowboy image when they think of Americans.

Just as we sound uneducated and fake to you, the people I met from the PNW tended to sound "slow" to me.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Well I have no idea why that would be.
Of course you don't. I doubt you've ever even been to Britain, or anywhere overseas for that matter. Bush being the president for eight straight years certainly contributed to their ideas of an "American accent".

Old 07-13-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Of course you don't. I doubt you've ever even been to Britain, or anywhere overseas for that matter. Bush being the president for eight straight years certainly contributed to their ideas of an "American accent".
If foreigners imagine George Bush speaking when they think of an "American accent" all I can say is no wonder they all hate us.

And btw, I know dozens of people from Texas. Not one of them sounds even remotely like Bush. Not even Bush Sr. sounds like Bush. Bushtalk is his own language.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I disagree. I met a handful of people from Eugene and Portland, OR and they sound nothing like the t.v. accent. They sounded West Coastish or Californian, but different.

I honestly found it annoying.

The typical generic accent is more of a generic midwestern sound.

And foreigners usually think of loud and obnoxious or the texas cowboy image when they think of Americans.

Just as we sound uneducated and fake to you, the people I met from the PNW tended to sound "slow" to me.
That's mostly unique to you. Most people, when asked, would say the PNW accent sounds like the "general American" accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City