Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 06:05 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post

There is a reason why SF/DC/Boston are the most expensive cities in the U.S. outside of NYC.
I'll try this one more time

Washington DC is home to the Federal Government. Its High Cost of Living is 100% directly related to that factor. Washington DC is an anomally. If there were no Government in Washington DC its cost of living would be in line with its peers Baltimore,Philadelphia.

IT has nothing to do with Washington DC having better museums or shopping than Philly. It has everything to do with the mega contracts and high pay associated with the Fed and other countrys government interests being lured into the Washington region.

SF + Boston are well educated, coastal cities 1/3 the size of Philadelphia. Its not a shock that per capita data is through the roof of those 2 cities/regions.

One-half of SF and Bostons real estate is under water. Economic and C.O.L. indexes go beserk when you have 50% less real estate to sell and the fact that you have amazing water views.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:05 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
My take on Philadelphia:

I think Philadelphia is cool, its urban, its gritty, its historic, and its iconic but its Philadelphia most of all. I often think of Philadelphia as the joint between two bones that connects them, I believe a socket is what they're termed but don't want to look up these jank nerdy medical terms just to use them in a sentence, only geeks do that.

The thing with Philadelphia is, its the city most similar to Boston, sorry New York you are not. It's the one that's closest to being like New York, Boston with its spaghetti streets, shorter atmosphere, and more English curbside look is not. It's the one closest to Baltimore too. If you think about it, the Northeast would be one a region of the "specials" if it wasn't for Philadelphia which is the common link to them all.

You look at Philadelphia with the others and say "that's the Northeast" and if Philadelphia wasn't there you would say "these cities have NOTHING in common with each other".

The Northeast cities are all replicative of each other, they all specialize in the same things. If one is good at education, the others are really good too. Inventory is like this with Boston having M.I.T, Harvard, Boston College, Boston University, Brown and then all of the other cities in the Northeast are uniform with this same notion.

The same rule applies to them all, in many ways the cities are most similar to each other. My verdict is that Philadelphia is cool, I wouldn't live there but the city from what I can gather makes that region, it may not be the most important but it definitely makes that region full.
Interesting output. I never thought of it like this.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:15 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Normally I ignore your post, but this I think you need clarity on. I've been coming to this board for over a year. Only decided to register yesterday, but thats neither here or there. My reasoning for calling you on being a troll is quite simple...

Any thread about Philly you can be found in trying to convince the masses that DC is this and DC is that..when obviously nobody cares to talk about it..but YOU...you insist on TROLLING a thread that has nothing to do with DC.. you seem so bitter and jealous that nobdy is paying you or DC attention. THAT = TROLL

That has nothing to do with tenure kid, Just an observation on your post's.
What are you talking about? Everyone reponds to my post. Plus I have admitted that I like Philly. So far you are 0-3. With your grand insight, you should try out for a moderator's position and hang up your safety patrol belt.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:07 PM

312 posts, read 437,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Interesting output. I never thought of it like this.
You should, Philadelphia is the focal point of the Northeast.

Remember one thing though, say today you take any of the cities out, two cities would make the biggest dent in the Northeast Corridor if they went missing and those two are Philadelphia & New York. Take either out and there goes that "long continuous urban development connecting from Boston to Washington". The BosWash Megalopolis is best known for its length and populace extent, take out the focal and your done.

Pretend you take Boston out, so the megalopolis starts now at Springfield, MA and goes down to NoVa, it's still continuous and still there. Vice versa from southend with Washington.

Another thing you have to look at is the time lapse, Philadelphia is the city that generally has the characteristics of them all besides maybe Washington. The others have a mix of one or two of the others but not quite the entire collection, no other city brings the mega region home like Philadelphia. Again, it doesn't have to be the most important city, in fact city boundaries are meaningless for this region, there's enough streaming back and forth throughout. Where do you live? Basically all of them, maybe not Boston but you can make a impact in any of them within a lunch breaks worth of drive.

Philadelphia is cool, its a real place and I like non-pretentious cities that stay away from that douche bag central mentality where "we know we're cool, yeah" which Philadelphia is good at keeping out. The Northeast is to cold for me, I'm made to live in only Southern California, Arizona, Nevada, Coastal Texas, Central Texas, and Florida all being places where it doesn't snow.

Somethings to think about.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:08 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Cpom, more recognizable hospital than San Jose? What about Stanford hospital? It's one of the top hospital in the world. Get your facts straight. Don't forget San Jose has way better weather and cleaner air than Philly. It also has hills and ok scenery, which Philly doesn't have. San Jose is the high tech capital of the world and Philly shares history with Boston.

2emi5a, Philly doesn't have more highrises in its downtown than San Jose, Cincinnati and San Diego, but they're just taller. I personally think it looks a smokestack and ugly skyline(Philly).

Durf from my multiple sources that I have checked, the University of Pennsylvania medical center is the best hospital in the country. Also the Childrens Hospital of PHiladelphia ranks as the the BEST childrens hospital in the country, and the 2nd best in the world. Pennyslyvania also had 7 hospitals make the honorable mention list. California had 3, and Standford was one of them. Also, i never said Standford wasnt an outstadning medical center so dont put words in mouth, Im jsut saying Philly has better hospitals. Philly is much more urban than San Jose, once you get into the suburbs there are lots of rolling hills and scenary. And yes philly does have more highrises than San Jose, Cinncinati, and San Diego.

America's 50 Best Hospitals - CBS News
10 Best Children's Hospitals: #1 The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Best Hospitals in Philadelphia, PA - US News Best Hospitals

Old 04-15-2011, 06:29 AM

38 posts, read 29,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Agree. My DC friends love to come to Philly and Baltimore to get a "real" city experience.
Define "real" city experience.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmayor View Post
Define "real" city experience.
Hello new account - A city whose economy depends on its local industries generating a profit to employ its citizens and make infrastructure, commerce, etc. possible. I contrast this with DC, which is dependent on the rest of the country sending money its way to keep it afloat. Don't get me wrong, I believe in the federal government, and it has to be somewhere, but DC was even established as a "district" and is not a "real" city as I just defined it.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Hello new account - A city whose economy depends on its local industries generating a profit to employ its citizens and make infrastructure, commerce, etc. possible. I contrast this with DC, which is dependent on the rest of the country sending money its way to keep it afloat. Don't get me wrong, I believe in the federal government, and it has to be somewhere, but DC was even established as a "district" and is not a "real" city as I just defined it.

Spoken like a person who had a bad experience in D.C. lol. Probably got robbed.,,,
Anyways....
What you just said still doesn't make sense because WHO CARES how a city's economy is generated? When people go to visit another city who the hell thinks about sh*t like this besides squares? No one thats who lol.
Besides what you said, D.C. physically looks like CITY and it has CITY crime and CITY issues.

I've been to other cities and I've yet to see anything I haven't already seen in D.C., besides poor white people.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:40 AM

OH yea and jm02.

Judging by you're logic that means that the capital cities in other countries aren't real cities either.
(London, Paris, Rome...)

Old 04-15-2011, 09:45 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmayor View Post
You sound like a person you had a bad experience in D.C. lol.
What you just said still doesn't make sense because WHO CARES how a city's economy is generation? When people go to visit another city who the hell thinks about sh*t like this besides squares? No one thats who lol.
Besides what you said, D.C. physically looks like CITY.

I've been to other cities and I've yet to see anything I haven't already seen in D.C., besides poor white people.
Since you're new here, you should probably start now to read posts carefully. You'll see I said my DC friends were looking for a real city experience, hence their excursions to nearby cities.

As for "WHO CARES how a city's economy is generation (sic)?" When it comes to defining a city, I do. The "distirct" is the only place in the US whose existence relies almost exclusively on money that comes from the rest of the country. A city's economic base (and the health of it) defines a city's culture - how its institutions function, how a city and its citizens invest and spend money; in essence, how its population views, lives and plans for their lives. Instead of "square," I prefer to think of these insights as "educated."

Feel free to define a city on your terms, and I'll do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City