Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:40 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

Personally, the reason why Philly is relegated to a lower place in its own region ( and perhaps nationwide) is the physical condition of many of its neighborhoods. All this talk about "skylines" and "square footage of office space" is irrelevant; it's the deplorable condition of many of its neighborhoods that brings it down a couple of notches.
There is alot of merit to this argument. Philadlephia being the core city of the metro rightly or wrongly is the biggest representation of the entire region.This isnt going to go over well with my fellow Philadlephia compatriots but the truth of the matter is that Philadlephia overall has seen much better days and acts as a handicap for the entire region.. The fact that Philadelphia is surrounded by 6 or 7 of the wealthiest counties in the country and has one of the healthiest economies in the world is lost in the citys decline.

Last edited by rainrock; 07-11-2009 at 09:12 AM..

Old 07-11-2009, 08:45 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
To the OP's question of Why?: I wish I had an answer.
There is plenty to like about Philadelphia. It has a rich history, great neighborhoods (the recovery of the Society Hill neighborhood made Philadelphia a pioneer in urban redevelopment; it is frequently cited in Urban Studies classes), the Main Line, and some of the most beautiful environs of any city I know (Brandywine River valley, Amish country, Lancaster and Bucks counties).

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_Hill,_Philadelphia,_Pennsylvania

Old 07-11-2009, 10:18 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Pick View Post
I just posted earlier this week that Philly has a "look at me" complex that no other city has. And this thread proves it.
Heh. Have you noticed any of the other threads in the City vs. City forum? I can assure you the "look at me" complex is certainly not exclusive to this one.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:20 AM

44 posts, read 160,717 times
Boston is 1/3 of the size of Philadelphia with 1/10th of the problems of a big urban city like Philadelphia. Boston which took a much different path than Philly is irrelevant in this discussion and not even in the conciousness of your avg Philadelphia area resident.Boston is a great city/region but its not a city that Philadlephia is consumed with.

NYC? Philadephia doesnt have the luxury to worry about having an inferiority complex. An inferiority complex is a nice catch phrase used by free-thinkers with too much time on their hands. In the real world an old city like Philadlephia is just trying to chug along, trying to change for the better. NYC is an afterthought.

Well, you are waaaay off on the size issue, because Boston's population is skewed due to the small borders. Take a look at the actual number of people in the Boston area vs your "big urban city"

Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yes, Philadelphia is obsessed with Boston and NY. Every thread on Boston on here is followed up by someone from Philadelphia saying "what about us?"

Old 07-11-2009, 10:22 AM

As a general aside here -- with all due respect to the Bay Area -- this thread really wasn't meant to compare economic productivity among the San Francisco and Philadelphia metropolitan areas. That could certainly be a thread in and of itself, but I think it would be more fruitful to focus on the actual premise of the thread -- that being the supposed lack of adequate (good) reputation for Philadelphia.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:

And yes, Philadelphia is obsessed with Boston and NY. Every thread on Boston on here is followed up by someone from Philadelphia saying "what about us?"
...And you're bringing up Boston in a thread that supposed to be exclusively about Philadelphia. You don't think that screams, "what about us?" Nevermind the fact that this thread was created by someone from Portland.

Perhaps before casting stones one should be a little more attentive next time.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:31 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You are the one that is embarrassing yourself. What a childish mindset you have.
Anyone who disagrees with you is childish, insolent and petulant. Okay, I get it.

Quote:
Its incredulous to me that someone can act so petulant about imaginary geographical boundaries. Unbelievable.
How incredibly ironic. Ha!

Old 07-11-2009, 01:24 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,049 times
This thread is supposed to be about Philly yet people are posting about SF and Boston and comparing. Speaks volumes about the self importance these people have.How about keeping this thread about Philadelphia.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:26 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,049 times
Quote:
Boston is 1/3 of the size of Philadelphia with 1/10th of the problems of a big urban city like Philadelphia. Boston which took a much different path than Philly is irrelevant in this discussion and not even in the conciousness of your avg Philadelphia area resident.Boston is a great city/region but its not a city that Philadlephia is consumed with.

NYC? Philadephia doesnt have the luxury to worry about having an inferiority complex. An inferiority complex is a nice catch phrase used by free-thinkers with too much time on their hands. In the real world an old city like Philadlephia is just trying to chug along, trying to change for the better. NYC is an afterthought.

Well, you are waaaay off on the size issue, because Boston's population is skewed due to the small borders. Take a look at the actual number of people in the Boston area vs your "big urban city"

Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You would like Philly to be obsessed about Boston. Sorry Boston is a good 600 miles away. It is not on Phillys radar. Now NYC on the other hand poses a much bigger threat to Philly that I can admit.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:34 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
This thread is supposed to be about Philly yet people are posting about SF and Boston and comparing.
Correction.

The first post singled out Boston and San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City