U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2011, 01:03 PM

5,864 posts, read 2,968,518 times
[quote=DC's Finest;18728291]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

I don't necessarily feel that expensive means better but it does equate to something of more value. There is a reason why SF/DC/Boston are the most expensive cities in the U.S. outside of NYC. Why is Chicago so cheap with all of it's urbanity? It's twice the size of Philly with a million more people, better transportation, etc? No doubt Philly has great amenities but the demand to live in Philly is not like the demand to live in SF or DC.
SF-46.7 Square Miles
Boston-48 Square Miles
DC-68 Square Miles
--------------
Chicago-228 Square Miles
Philadelphia-135 Square Miles

The top three cities are more expensive because the supply is not there. All 5 of these cities are world class with amenities most cities could only dream of, but Philadelphia has over 300,000 rowhomes (the most of any city in the country and IMO the most efficient and vibrant urban set-up).

So not only does Philly have areas where you can pay $5 Million for a condo, ala Cliff Lee but it has areas where working-class familes can buy a row-home for $100,000. I really don't see how this could be viewed as a bad thing.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 04-14-2011 at 01:12 PM..

Old 04-14-2011, 01:05 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,109,093 times
Chicago and washington are better and more known cities than Philly. Don't forget the Boston. Go Boston Rob!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:08 PM

317 posts, read 98,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Chicago and washington are better and more known cities than Philly. Don't forget the Boston. Go Boston Rob!
I actually do agree with the more known part. Better is on preference. If Philadelphia didn't seem better people wouldn't defend it, its the best place in the world to the ones who live there and that's what matter ultimately.

There's a lot of picking and choosing and elitism on here that people close their eyes on why someone thinks their city is better. No one is wrong to say that. However one thing I do agree with you on is that Philadelphia isn't quite a "world class city" right now.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:09 PM

745 posts, read 511,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Hmmmm! I have been on the board for 4 years and you just joined yesterday but I am a troll? Come on yung. Stay in your lane. Any debate you want to have with me about anything from transportation to urbanity, we can post about it. A troll, I'm not. Too much tenure for that.
Normally I ignore your post, but this I think you need clarity on. I've been coming to this board for over a year. Only decided to register yesterday, but thats neither here or there. My reasoning for calling you on being a troll is quite simple...

Any thread about Philly you can be found in trying to convince the masses that DC is this and DC is that..when obviously nobody cares to talk about it..but YOU...you insist on TROLLING a thread that has nothing to do with DC.. you seem so bitter and jealous that nobdy is paying you or DC attention. THAT = TROLL

That has nothing to do with tenure kid, Just an observation on your post's.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:43 PM

1,895 posts, read 1,614,952 times
One thing I've noticed on this forum that really pisses me off is how rude and arrogant the DC posters come off. Just going off this website, you would think the DC area is full of ignorant and mean-spirited people. That's not the case at all - I have a lot of family and great friends from around here. I go to Maryland so I'm in DC all the time, and I feel like I do a much better job of sticking up for this great city than any of the so-called DC homers. And for the record, everyone I know down here who's been to Philly loves it. It's almost a complete 180 from the constant attacks that city gets on every thread, related or unrelated, by DC posters on this forum.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:55 PM

745 posts, read 511,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
One thing I've noticed on this forum that really pisses me off is how rude and arrogant the DC posters come off. Just going off this website, you would think the DC area is full of ignorant and mean-spirited people. That's not the case at all - I have a lot of family and great friends from around here. I go to Maryland so I'm in DC all the time, and I feel like I do a much better job of sticking up for this great city than any of the so-called DC homers. And for the record, everyone I know down here who's been to Philly loves it. It's almost a complete 180 from the constant attacks that city gets on every thread, related or unrelated, by DC posters on this forum.
The DC posters come off so bitter and insecure to me..but I know this is just some guy/girl upset about life and is taking it out on the internet. I'm actually going to DC for my first time this weekend and I have no doubt in my mind that I will find something I really appreciate about it, just like any other city I've been to.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:01 PM

3,844 posts, read 2,987,891 times
Quote:
Agree. My DC friends love to come to Philly and Baltimore to get a "real" city experience. Like most DCers, they work for the government or a government contractor. I find this creates a certain "unreal" dynamic when an entire region is filled with people whose livelihoods don't require a profit. I enjoy visiting DC and experiencing all the offerings my taxes make possible, but I have never wanted to live in such a cloistered town.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:21 PM

1,895 posts, read 1,614,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Agree. My DC friends love to come to Philly and Baltimore to get a "real" city experience. Like most DCers, they work for the government or a government contractor. I find this creates a certain "unreal" dynamic when an entire region is filled with people whose livelihoods don't require a profit. I enjoy visiting DC and experiencing all the offerings my taxes make possible, but I have never wanted to live in such a cloistered town.
Well this is pretty much not what I was going for at all, since I was saying I love DC too, but I understand where you're coming from.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:13 PM

3,844 posts, read 2,987,891 times
Quote:
Well this is pretty much not what I was going for at all, since I was saying I love DC too, but I understand where you're coming from.
Yea, it's not a question for me of not loving DC. I was lucky as a kid to grow up about 2 hours from there. For every class, scout and church trip we used to go the Washington and see all of our national treasures. I still get a thrill out of them and I'm glad to be back on the east coast where I can visit more often. That said, I don't get how some of the DC folks on C-D take credit for all this stuff, since it belongs to all of us. The rest of our cites need to build for ourselves, which I CAN take some pride in.

Yet it's funny, because as much as I like to visit there, I have never had any interest in living there. For better or worse, it's a unique place to call home that appeals to some but not me.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:49 PM

3,914 posts, read 8,268,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post

Only in your distorted mind can you justify that. People in DC pay more because OBVIOUSLY there is something attracting them to the area.
What is attracting them to the area?
1. The seemingly limitless multi-billion dollar government contracts.
2.The economic pull the federal government has on other nations. Washington is a beehive for international investment .

That is what seperates the Washington area from the Philadephia area and every other region in the country for that matter.

Thats why Washingtons C.O.L. is so high. Uncle Sam writing blank checks,Oil Sheiks from the Middle east setting up shop in DC,oil barons from Moscow, diplomats and businessmen from across the globe that need to be in washington DC 's pocket etc etc..

You are the one that is delusional if you think Washington DC has this monopoly on high culture. Every major city has top notch culture its just that in DC it costs more due to the money circulated by the Feeral Government.

No government? Dc is a hybrid Baltimore/Richmond..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.