Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 01:06 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Not to mention the Lake Eola rapist which lurks at night. Do a google for Lake Eola rapist or is that made up too?
WTF? Way to turn a single event into some sort of 'rapist at large' epidemic. Nice try. The 'Lake Eola rapist' was tied to a single event on May 6th. That same google search will return the results "Police: We've caught the Lake Eola rapist" on May 15th.

The lake looks plenty big to me. The path around the outside is a mile long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 03:11 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Like I said, you have a personal arbitrary definition based on the SIZE of the river and/or number of "major" docks, which "major" becomes another arbitrary term where maybe a dock with 30 slips is major and one with 29 isn't or one with 100 is and 99 isn't or something whimsical like that.
What about Denver which has zero docks or boat landings?

Quote:
For you it seems to become a question of how dominant is the water feature, hence the "standout feature" comment. To me, a city doesn't have to have a DOMINANT waterfront feature to be a city with a waterfront. Just like a city doesn't have to be NYC, Chicago, or LA to be a city with skyscrapers. A city with 2 skyscrapers has skyscrapers even if it doesn't come close to a NYC, etc. I mean it really becomes a bit whimsical when we start saying that a city on river X has a waterfront, but a city on river Y doesn't because river Y isn't as big as river X and doesn't have as many docks as river X. Like if river Y was just 20 feet wider or 30 feet deeper or had three more docks, then yep, that city would have a waterfront.
Just 20 feet wider or 30 feet deeper? If the South Platte River were 20 feet wider and 30 feet deeper, then it could actually support recreational activities beyond kayaking and playing fetch with your dog.

Quote:
I mean really, come on. But it's your personal definition, more power to you. But if you can have a personal definition that excludes based on arbitrary things like that, I can have one which includes based on the existence of a river or bay or lake in a city which has public use development.

BTW, people kayak in the Platte, which IS an activity that goes on BECAUSE of the water.
That's BECAUSE the water in both the South Platte River and Cherry Creek IS less than 3 feet deep for most of the year, which means only kayaks and specially designed gondolas can even navigate either of them in the first place.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:16 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
What about Denver which has zero docks or boat landings?
It was somebody else's personal definition to use numbers of boat docks. To me boat docks have nothing to do with whether a city has a waterfront, that's what about Denver. To me it's about whether a city has a river, lake, coast, or bay that has development on it of a public use nature. But then I already said that before.

Quote:
Just 20 feet wider or 30 feet deeper? If the South Platte River were 20 feet wider and 30 feet deeper, then it could actually support recreational activities beyond kayaking and playing fetch with your dog.
I honestly do not care about how many extra activities the Platte "could" support "if." That was my point to the other poster- arbitrary definitions of how big river X is versus river Y and hypotheticals about if river Y were "this much wider or deeper" are whimsical when used to say one river constitutes a waterfront but another doesn't. But thanks for sharing your hypothetical anyway.

Quote:
That's BECAUSE the water in both the South Platte River and Cherry Creek IS less than 3 feet deep for most of the year, which means only kayaks and specially designed gondolas can even navigate either of them in the first place.
Which nonetheless ARE specific uses BECAUSE of the river being there, which the poster earlier made a point of saying places like Elitch Gardens are not. So I settled the matter of the Platte in Denver having uses specific to the river, meant FOR the river. So it can't be legitimately said that Denver has no uses meant specifically for the river.

Denver has a waterfront. So it is not a city or town without a waterfront, what this thread name asks. That's the bottom line.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:37 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Again:

The port begins a good five miles from the center city. Galveston Bay is a good twenty miles away. The Gulf is 45-50 miles away. Houston is near the water, but Houston is not on the water.

I think some people need to go spend some time in a Chicago, a Memphis or a San Francisco so they can witness firsthand the attributes of a waterfront city.
What about Allen's Landing? It goes right through Downtown Houston.

http://www.buffalobayou.org/allenslanding.html

This is how Wikipedia describes Allen's Landing:
After years of neglect and deterioration, Allen’s Landing, as part of Houston's Waterfront District, has undergone major revitalization and rejuvenation, much like the rest of historic downtown Houston. The first phase of the Allen's Landing revitalization project was completed in 2001.[4] Special features of the park, located at 1001 Commerce Street, now include: a concrete-paved wharf, designed to replicate the original port; a trail/walkway; a promenade; and a terrace overlooking Buffalo Bayou.
The campus of the University of Houston–Downtown ("UHD") straddles Allen's Landing. UHD's One Main Building, which is housed in the former Merchants and Manufacturers Building (renovated in the 1980s), is just across the bayou at One Main Street,[5] and UHD's 95,000-square-foot (8,800 m2) Commerce Street Building, which was completed in May 2005, sits adjacent to the park at Main Street and Commerce.
Since 2001, in a celebration of Houston's Asian-American community, the Texas Dragon Boat Association has held an annual spring festival at Allen's Landing, where teams of paddlers race dragon boats throughout the day and enjoy colorful entertainment, as well as some Asian cultural and cuisine.[6] In addition, the landing is a popular ingress/egress spot for canoe and kayak enthusiasts traveling up and down Buffalo Bayou.
In 2006, Houston Endowment, Inc., a philanthropic foundation dedicated to improving life for the people of the greater Houston area, approved a $600,000 grant to be used by the Buffalo Bayou Partnership toward restoring and converting the 1930s Sunset Coffee Building into usable space and further improving Allen's Landing Park.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:10 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
What about Allen's Landing? It goes right through Downtown Houston.
When's the last time you saw any container ship or any other type of ocean going vessel or river running barge tie their ropes at Allen's Landing? ALL (meaning: every, each one, without exception) cities are located on some body of water. They must be. Their residents must be able to drink. Water is vital for life. Humans can't survive without water. Is that understandable? Why is this such a difficult concept for some people to grasp? All cities have some body of water in the city limits. Every single one. But, having a body of water doesn't imply a waterfront.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I always thought of Allen's Landing in Downtown Houston to be our waterfront.
From the looks of things, I would agree Houston has a waterfront. Nice pic, btw.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I think some people need to go spend some time in a Chicago, a Memphis or a San Francisco so they can witness firsthand the attributes of a waterfront city.
I've spent time in all 3, and despite what attributes a waterfront city might have, the thread doesn't really ask which cities are and are not waterfront cities. Nothing wrong with ADDING which are and are not, but the thread asks which cities and tows are without a waterfront. Many cities that are NOT without a waterfront (like Houston for example which has the Allen's Landing waterfront that westhou just mentioned and provided a pic of) might not be called "waterfront cities" even though they have a waterfront, just as many cities that are not without a skyscraper (meaning for example they may have 2) might not be called "skyscraper cities" even though they have 2 skyscrapers.

So sure it's good for people to know the attributes of a waterfront city. But even if they do know the attributes of a waterfront city like Chicago or Memphis or San Francisco, a city like Houston STILL has a waterfront.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:10 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,666 times
Quote:
I've spent time in all 3, and despite what attributes a waterfront city might have, the thread doesn't really ask which cities are and are not waterfront cities. Nothing wrong with ADDING which are and are not, but the thread asks which cities and tows are without a waterfront. Many cities that are NOT without a waterfront (like Houston for example which has the Allen's Landing waterfront that westhou just mentioned and provided a pic of) might not be called "waterfront cities" even though they have a waterfront, just as many cities that are not without a skyscraper (meaning for example they may have 2) might not be called "skyscraper cities" even though they have 2 skyscrapers.

So sure it's good for people to know the attributes of a waterfront city. But even if they do know the attributes of a waterfront city like Chicago or Memphis or San Francisco, a city like Houston STILL has a waterfront.
So, by your very loose definition of a waterfront, every city in the country has a waterfront. So, for clarification, are you suggesting that there is no such thing as a city without a waterfront? It doesn't matter whether the city is on an ocean or a muddy ditch, it's a waterfront! It doesn't matter if the water is used for transportation or trade, as long as it has two hydrogen atoms for every oxygen atom, it's a waterfront. If you can't find the waterfront in your home city, turn on the water hose and BINGO!... PRESTO!... instant waterfront.

I repeat, yours is a silly semantic argument.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
So, by your very loose definition of a waterfront, every city in the country has a waterfront.
Wrong. Obviously you aren't understanding what I'm writing, so I'm going to have to adopt a different approach.

Charlotte, NC- This city has no waterfront. It does have Lake Wylie flowing like a river on the western outskirts, and it does have a creek or something similar, but it does not have an urban body of water with public-use development on it.

Atlanta, GA- This city has no waterfront. It does have the Chattahoochee River running through its edges, but even on that there is no development like a riverwalk. There is the Morgan Falls Park and Chattahoochee National Recreation area, but no urbanised walkable developed riverwalk.

Birmingham, AL- Another city without a waterfront.

So no, my definition does not have every city in the country having a waterfront, especially since every city in the country does not have either a river or lake or bay or coast to even be CONSIDERED. This is why one should at least show intellectual grasp of what someone is saying before one calls that someone's argument silly. It's pretty embarassing to call somebody's argument silly while at the same time demonstrating an utter cluelessness as to what that somebody is arguing. Even moreso to do it where everybody can see.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:21 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Definition: the area of a city (such as a harbor or dockyard) alongside a body of water

Once people quit reading so deep into the question, maybe thye'll understand what a waterfront is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City