Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ^^
Bigger Boston? 62 25.51%
Smaller NYC? 181 74.49%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:22 PM

318 posts, read 318,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
I would diasgree. Chicago has just as much a mass transit culture as Bos and NY
You wish. 50% of New Yorker do not even own a car.
New York has a true mass transit culture, Chicago has a limited mass transit commute to work culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 12:24 PM

318 posts, read 318,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Chicago is much different from NYC and Boston. It also changes identities depending on the time of the year.

And FYI, Chicagoans don't like to be related to NYC (not because its not a great city, but because they are completely different).

Are you saying that New York is the same regardless of the season? I am really glad you did not claim that unlike New York or Boston you have four seasons in Chicago

From my experience Chicagoans really like to relate to New York always trying to make a point they are almost as good as New York. Haven't been there they imagine New York is like Chicago only bigger It's like saying the Cubs are like Yankees only much, much worse

Old 07-12-2009, 12:53 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,374,137 times
Quote:
i disagree with the ny part...

Old 07-12-2009, 12:57 PM

36,911 posts, read 38,826,491 times
Yea, mass transit in NYC is huge on an absolute and relative/personal level. I can't see any US city besting NYC in this category any time soon.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:57 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,995,540 times
No Chicago doesn't. It has the infrastructure but much less people use it. Chicago is much larger than Washington DC and Boston, yet the subway ridership is smaller than DC, and also way smaller than Boston if you consider ridership per mile and with Boston light rail not counted. (I think the ridership of light rail and subway are overlapped, so I am not adding them).

subway ridership per mile:

NYC: 33294

DC: 9286

Boston: 12374

Philly: 13052

PATH: 17572

LA: 8299

Chicago: 5790

Atlanta: 5353

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_by_ridership

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_by_ridership

Quote:

Old 07-12-2009, 02:34 PM

398 posts, read 1,035,487 times
Quote:
How so?

The NYC subway carries 12 times the daily ridership of the CTA L. One subway line (the Lexington Ave. 4/5/6) carries more ridership than the entire CTA L.

And I'm not even including the PATH subway, Staten Island Rapid Transit, Hudson Bergen Light Rail and all the rest.

More than half of New Yorkers do not own a vehicle.

About two-thirds of Chicagoans do own a vehicle.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:40 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Chicago is a completely different animal. The city even changes tunes depending on what part of the city your in and what time of year it is.

When Chicago is warm. It turns into a tropical beach town. We flock to the beach, have crystal clear water, and frequent block parties, street fest, and concerts all summer/fall long. There are runners/bikers/rollerbladers everywhere and sometimes you forget your damn near Canada on a giant lake.

When Chicago is cold, it turns into a totally different city. It becomes a darker, harder working city. People quickly pick up a no-nonsense attitude. THe vibe of the city changes and it feels much more old world/european. The pace quickens and the lake which is usually a clear bluish green becomes much darker and actually freezes pretty often.

The Southside feels much more suburban in nature. Parts of it can be extremely dangerous and parts of it are pretty beautiful. The South Shoreline looks like something out of a book.

The Northside feels much more urban and is much more dense and gentrified. The pace is faster and its filled with tons of restaurants, stores, and nightlife.

Chicago is much different from NYC and Boston. It also changes identities depending on the time of the year.

And FYI, Chicagoans don't like to be related to NYC (not because its not a great city, but because they are completely different).

That's just the best time to be in that city IMO. No offense to New York, but I believe Chicago has the best winter experience of any major city in America.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:44 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,890,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's just the best time to be in that city IMO. No offense to New York, but I believe Chicago has the best winter experience of any major city in America.
much love to Chicago but a city that is over 1000 miles from the nearest ski hill does not have the best winter experience.

As far as the OP: Chicago is neither. But... more like a little NY. Boston and Chicago are both more like little NYs than they are like each other. However, all 3 cities are very unique.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:46 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
much love to Chicago but a city that is over 1000 miles from the nearest ski hill does not have the best winter experience.

As far as the OP: Chicago is neither. But... more like a little NY. Boston and Chicago are both more like little NYs than they are like each other. However, all 3 cities are very unique.
You misread what I said. I said the best winter experience for a major city in America. Not overall as I'll give that to Aspen or Vail. But as a major city, I think Chicago comes out on top.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:51 PM

35 posts, read 66,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You misread what I said. I said the best winter experience for a major city in America. Not overall as I'll give that to Aspen or Vail. But as a major city, I think Chicago comes out on top.
Nothing here compares to New York during winter...well at least from November - New Years.

Very romantic and stunning during the holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City