Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city offers the best institutions of higher education?
Los Angeles 26 34.67%
Washington D.C. 17 22.67%
New York City 32 42.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 05:20 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballakev View Post
Linus Pauling (Cal Tech Alum) perhaps the greatest chemist of all time > Barack Obama
Well if you need a list of people who went to Columbia

List of Columbia University people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 05:24 PM

318 posts, read 320,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
That might have something to do with it, but it's more because of the proximity between Malibu and the city of Los Angeles and the fact that L.A. is pretty indistinguishable from its surrounding suburbs, whereas New Haven and New York are very far apart and are very distinguishable from each other.

I would say LA is undistinguishable from anything, even from New Haven CT

Nobody flies to Newark saying they fly to New York, although everyone knows that Newark is one of New York airports as much as NY Giants are not New Jersey team even though they have a stadium in New Jersey.
Princeton and Yale are New York schools even though located in quiet suburbs.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Well if you need a list of people who went to Columbia

List of Columbia University people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My Alma Mater (not an Ivy)

NYU counts 31 Nobel Prize winners and 3 winners of the Abel prize; 9 National Medal of Science recipients; 16 Pulitzer Prize winners; 19 Academy Award winners (more than any other American university);
List of New York University alumni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Surprisingly no other school in the world, including California, can claim as many Acadmey Award winners as NYU

Old 07-12-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
My Alma Mater (not an Ivy)

NYU counts 31 Nobel Prize winners and 3 winners of the Abel prize; 9 National Medal of Science recipients; 16 Pulitzer Prize winners; 19 Academy Award winners (more than any other American university);
List of New York University alumni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Surprisingly no other school in the world, including California, can claim as many Acadmey Award winners as NYU
Quote:
Columbia annually grants the Pulitzer Prizes, and more Nobel Prize winners are affiliated with Columbia than with any other institution in the world.
Quote:
The undergraduate school of Columbia University is ranked 8th (tied with University of Chicago and Duke University) among national universities by U.S. News and World Report (USNWR),[44] 7th among world universities and 6th among universities in the Americas by Shanghai Jiao Tong University,[45] 9th by Forbes, 2nd in Internet Media Buzz by the Global Language Monitor,[46], 10th in the top 50 for Social Sciences[47],10th among world universities and 6th in North America by the THES - QS World University Rankings,[48] 10th among "global universities" by Newsweek,[49] and 1st in the U.S. among both national research universities by the Center for Measuring University Performance.[50] According to the National Research Council, graduate programs are ranked 8th nationally.[citation needed]
According to the U.S. News & World Report,[51]The Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, home to the Pulitzer Prize, ranks #1. Teachers College (Columbia's Graduate School of Education) ranks #4. School of Social Work ranks #4. The Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation (GSAPP) ranks #3, according to Architect magazine's November 2007 issue. Columbia Law School ranks #4. The Mailman School of Public Health ranks #6. Columbia Business School ranks #9, #2 according to The Financial Times, and #6 according to Fortune Magazine. Columbia's medical school, called the College of Physicians and Surgeons, ranks #10. According to Foreign Policy magazine, the School of International & Public Affairs (SIPA) PhD program (overall) in international relations is ranked #2, and the Master's program (policy area) is ranked #5. Finally, Columbia's Institute of Human Nutrition ranks #1, according to The Chronicle for Higher Education.

List of Presidents of Columbia University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-12-2009, 05:41 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,918,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
I would say LA is undistinguishable from anything, even from New Haven CT
Again, you've never been here so I'm not even going to entertain you.

Quote:
Princeton and Yale are New York schools even though located in quiet suburbs.
Even though Princeton is closer to Philly and New Haven is 80 miles away from NYC? That's like saying Umass Amherst is a "Boston" school. It's simply not accurate.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:44 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,513 times
Does it really matter? There's thousands and thousands of colleges in the country. These schools are all in the top 1%. They are going to be pretty much the same in reputation. No one is going to say something like, "Wow you're not very smart if you only graduated from Columbia instead of Stanford(or vice versa)." They are all going to mean just as much as the other. Some programs are better at certain schools, but that's different for each person. There's no proof anyway about which is better when you look at all top rated schools. They are all in the top 1% so the argument won't ever really end.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Again, you've never been here so I'm not even going to entertain you.

Even though Princeton is closer to Philly and New Haven is 80 miles away from NYC? That's like saying Umass Amherst is a "Boston" school. It's simply not accurate.
Both Princeton and Yale are apart of NYCs CSA. I this Map everything pink is the CSA. Everything else is apart of the metropolitan area.

Notice how putnam county and especially pike county are about the same distance as New Haven yet its officially apart of the metro. Even Mercer county is close. Look at ocean county which is much further than mercer.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:32 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,316 times
New York City.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:39 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,918,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Both Princeton and Yale are apart of NYCs CSA. I this Map everything pink is the CSA. Everything else is apart of the metropolitan area.

Notice how putnam county and especially pike county are about the same distance as New Haven yet its officially apart of the metro. Even Mercer county is close. Look at ocean county which is much further than mercer.
Like I said, grouping new Haven and NYC is like grouping San Francisco, San Jose, and Sacramento all together. To me, it's stupid.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Like I said, grouping new Haven and NYC is like grouping San Francisco, San Jose, and Sacramento all together. To me, it's stupid.
To you it's stupid to most people it's the NYC Metro Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City