Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which MAJOR American city has the most grand,noteworthy housing in the U.S.(Archtecture,Diversity,Gr
Atlanta 8 14.55%
Philadelphia 5 9.09%
Miami 4 7.27%
New York City 12 21.82%
Los Angeles 10 18.18%
Houston 1 1.82%
Boston 5 9.09%
Dallas 2 3.64%
San Fransico 1 1.82%
Detroit 1 1.82%
Chicago 3 5.45%
Seattle 3 5.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:50 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times

Advertisements

Atlanta has some of the most diverse style or architecture in home i have seen in the country,From everything from the traditional Southern style mansions,Tudor,French Chateau,Mediterranean, to even Cape Code style.What are your cities best?Her are some of my Atlanta favorites.What MAJOR U.S.cities have the best of everything when it comes to SINGLE FAMILY HOUSING dwellings.Please post pics or links of some of your favorites in your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 05:07 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Atlanta has some of the most diverse style or architecture in home i have seen in the country,From everything from the traditional Southern style mansions,Tudor,French Chateau,Mediterranean, to even Cape Code style.What are your cities best?Her are some of my Atlanta favorites.What MAJOR U.S.cities have the best of everything when it comes to SINGLE FAMILY HOUSING dwellings.Please post pics or links of some of your favorites in your area.

Here are some of my favorites:
The Swann House(Buckhead)

Governor's Mansion(Buckhead)http://img2.photographersdirect.com/img/21621/wm/pd1346969.jpg (broken link)

Evander Holyfeild's Mansion(maybe not for long)its 54,000 sq ft!
This house sits in the south of Atlanta's suburbs
Did you know the White House is in Georgia and is about to be FORECLOSED on?Well not really but here is a replica in Atlanta's north neighborhoods

One of the original Mansion that used to line Atlanta's famous Peachtree Street,still sits among skycrapers.The Winbush Mansion
this 1920's mansion reminds me of the Hamptons.http://www.dougnewby.com/images/body/neighborhoods/munger_place_and_swiss_avenue/swiss/5439_swiss_1.jpg (broken link)
The Alonzo Herndon Home.He was born a slave in 1858.He eventually worked his way up after becoming a barber,and began owning and operating three barbershops. One of them, the Crystal Palace at 66 Peachtree Street, was considered the most elegant in the country. He invested his barbering income in real estate, becoming by the early 1900's the largest Black property owner in Atlanta. His most significant business venture was launched in 1905, when he acquired what would become Atlanta Life Insurance Company, today the largest Black-owned stockholder insurance company in Americahttp://www.herndonhome.org/images/home.jpg (broken link)
Martin Luther Kings Jr.'s birth home was/is located on "Sweet Auburn".It was considered to be the "Harlem of the South"due to the many black professionals and upper middle class to well to do black families that lived in the area.It was considered THE if not after Harlem,the wealthiest black area in America.

The founder of Rhodes Furniture,built this house from his travels in Europe seeing its grand castles.
Now this one is ridiculous.It belongs to Tyler Perry.Writer,Producer,Actor,and studio owner of his namesake.His movies are."Madea Goes to Jail" and the rest of that series,"The Family That Preys" starring Kathy Bates and Alfre Woodard,and many other highly successful box office hits.(almost completed,if not just recently)I mean REALLY,is this necessary?
]as if the old one was TOO SMALL,here it is:.I hope I don't see his new house in the foreclosure list.If that happens,he needs to get his a'** kicked!
This one belonged to Asa Candler's (Coca-Cola)son Howard.It sit in the area of Atlanta that is in Dekalb county,called Druid Hills.The neighborhood was designed by famous Central Park designer ,Fredrick Law Olmsted.Its one of the few areas in the country where the Olmsted Brothers work can be seen in mass today.Beautiful neighborhood with outstanding collection of small parks and heavily landscaped public areas in which to lie on green grassy knolls. Beautiful houses built by some of America's most notable architects everywhere

Tired of older homes?Here are some of Atlanta's Modern styles
.Really like this condo community called MWest (where else?of course,West Midtown Atlanta)

Well ,those are some my favorites whats yours?

Last edited by afonega1; 07-14-2009 at 05:18 AM..

Old 03-10-2010, 07:20 PM

228 posts, read 460,081 times
Those are some amazing photos. I didn't knoow that Atlanta had so much.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:42 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
^The 'White House' is in my neighborhood. Good Lord, what an abomination.

Atlanta White House

Old 03-10-2010, 07:53 PM

Some of my favorite mansions are in Glen Cove, NY...here is one of them, now used as a conference center.

Google Image Result for http://i.pbase.com/g6/21/3121/2/87015473.eAico779.jpg

Old 03-10-2010, 08:31 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Even though it gets an overwhelming about of mention on this website, greater New York City has a fantastic array of mansions/estates. From the beach-combing beauties in the Hamptons, to inner-city mansions in Queens, to the traditional estates of Fairfield County.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 03-10-2010 at 09:15 PM..

Old 03-10-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Even though it gets an overwhelming about of mention on this website, but greater New York City has a fantastic array of mansions/estates. From the beach-combing beauties in the Hamptons, to inner-city mansions in Queens, to the traditional estates of Fairfield County.
The 'Gilded Age' had an effect on many Northeastern cities, but none more so than New York City and its' environs...particularly the North Shore of Long Island, the Hudson River Valley and the Gold Coast of Connecticut.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:16 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The 'Gilded Age' had an effect on many Northeastern cities, but none more so than New York City and its' environs...particularly the North Shore of Long Island, the Hudson River Valley and the Gold Coast of Connecticut.
Yea, whenever I visit family in Stamford or a friend in Westchester County, my jaw is firmly planted on the floor.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:17 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,522 times

YouTube - MADONNA - THE HOUSE OF MADONNA(Mansions in MIAMI)

Old 03-10-2010, 09:19 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,522 times

YouTube - Madonna's house in Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City