U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Massachusetts Vs New Jersey
MA 94 54.34%
NJ 79 45.66%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:38 PM

7,336 posts, read 15,302,120 times

Advertisements

Tough call. I love the geographic and urban/rural diversity in MA. I love Boston, New Bedford, Gloucester, Salem, Provincetown, Nantucket, Newburyport, Northampton, etc. That's why I voted MA. I could easily live in Jersey as well (I've had my sights on Jersey City for a while, actually).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 06:34 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,648,289 times
There is nothing prettier than Fall in New England. When we travelled around for hockey, we went to quite a few small towns in Ma. Acton, Andover, Llwellyn(?) are a few I remember. We went a number of prep schools in the state for games. Oh, they had beautiful grounds and buildings. It was almost like stepping back in time. Plus, I love the clapboard houses there.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:51 PM

505 posts, read 1,194,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
There is nothing prettier than Fall in New England. When we travelled around for hockey, we went to quite a few small towns in Ma. Acton, Andover, Llwellyn(?) are a few I remember. We went a number of prep schools in the state for games. Oh, they had beautiful grounds and buildings. It was almost like stepping back in time. Plus, I love the clapboard houses there.
I love the fall here too, and the prep schools are gorgeous. Clapboard houses are also cool to me.

Llwellyn? Hmmm... I'm not even sure what that could be. Lawrence? Leverett? Leyden? Lowell? Lynn?

Old 07-16-2009, 07:04 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,648,289 times
Default Lowell!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
I love the fall here too, and the prep schools are gorgeous. Clapboard houses are also cool to me.

Llwellyn? Hmmm... I'm not even sure what that could be. Lawrence? Leverett? Leyden? Lowell? Lynn?
That is it, but I have been to Lawrence and Lynn too. We did so much travelling around, sometimes the names get mixed up.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:28 PM

505 posts, read 1,194,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
That is it, but I have been to Lawrence and Lynn too. We did so much travelling around, sometimes the names get mixed up.
Yea, I don't blame you. The town names in MA can be hard to remember and kind of confusing sometimes to someone who doesn't live here full time.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:21 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,597,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
Yea, I don't blame you. The town names in MA can be hard to remember and kind of confusing sometimes to someone who doesn't live here full time.
NJ is the same way.

Ho-ho-kus, Carlstadt, Hackensack, Weehawken, Secaucus, Perth Amboy, Wycoff... And on top of all that, NJ has towns upon towns. Bergen County alone has 70 towns and cities!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:34 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,753,491 times
JERSEY!

and i grew up it westchester/ct

Old 07-16-2009, 08:34 PM

2,705 posts, read 7,097,620 times
The states are very similar. Both have urban, suburban, and rural. Both states tend to have highly educated residents, which makes a huge difference when comparing that to states that DON'T stress education. Mass has the Berkshires, but NJ folks have very quick access to either the Poconos or the Catskills. Mass has Boston, but no quick access to any other major cities...NJ has very easy access to either NYC or Philly. Mass has Cape Cod, nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard (all beautiful...been to them all), and NJ has Cape May (a gem), Spring lake, Long Beach Island, Wildwood, Ocean City, etc. Not to mention Atlantic City. Both states have lots of Irish and Italians You know, that means good drinkin' and good eatin'.

I pick NJ. But both states have a lot to offer, and I could live in MA if I needed to (I'd live in or near Boston).

Old 07-16-2009, 09:25 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,447,401 times
I voted Jersey - surprise, surprise...

For a long time I always said that if I were to leave NJ it would be to live in or near Boston. I always loved Boston. I still think Boston is a great city, but after several experiences there it's lost some of its luster, to me. One thing that bothered me was that there seems to be much more drinking and drug abuse going on up in Boston. I've noticed this in Providence and other parts of New England, also. I also noticed that winters were too harsh in Mass., the homes were smaller and tighter together than even in NJ, and that it was expensive there - too expensive for what it was worth, to me.

So, I still go to Boston to visit my family in Arlington and Watertown, and my friend up in Portland, ME, and for work whenever I need to go up there, and I love visiting. But I would not want to live there, and to me there is no comparison - Jersey beats Mass. hands down.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:58 PM

7,731 posts, read 11,943,900 times
New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City