Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Massachusetts Vs New Jersey
MA 193 57.10%
NJ 145 42.90%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 02:30 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Mass also has lots of beaches and access to two great cities, one of them actually being in the state. It also has it's own sports teams in all three sports.
And it is only slightly larger than NJ

The attractiveness is highly subjective.
2 great cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 02:34 PM

2,725 posts, read 6,113,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Helloooo, this is why NJ is great. Don't ignore it and keep ranting your crushed theroy.
If you start a poll, you should accept varied opinions. There is no right or wrong (or crushed theorys) here.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:04 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
If you start a poll, you should accept varied opinions. There is no right or wrong (or crushed theorys) here.
Yea, but denial is popular in threads.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:25 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
2 great cities?
Boston and NYC.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:33 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Default Crushed theories? Denial?

..Sorry, not seeing any of either one.

New Jersey has some decent things, such as access to NYC, and Cape May, but also has, arguably , some of the least attractive cities in the nation. Indeed, when talking about such gems as Camden and Trenton, the word "beautiful" should never be used.

I'll take the natural beauty of New England, with the forests and lakes of MA, VT, NH and ME ( all close by) over that of the Mid-Atlantic any day.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:09 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

New Jersey has some decent things, such as access to NYC, and Cape May, but also has, arguably , some of the least attractive cities in the nation. Indeed, when talking about such gems as Camden and Trenton, the word "beautiful" should never be used.

I'll take the natural beauty of New England, with the forests and lakes of MA, VT, NH and ME ( all close by) over that of the Mid-Atlantic any day.
You realize that the crappy cities of Camden and Trenton are TINY, right? Like a few square miles. 90% of NJ is very attractive aesthetically. I seriously know nobody who ever goes to Trenton, Camden, or Paterson, for anything.

If you're bringing up the insignificant cities of Camden and Trenton...then I'll bring up the insignificant city of Springfield, MA. Is that an asset to the state of MA?

Old 07-17-2009, 04:13 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
Lynn, Everett & Lawrence........................ Now those are "gems".

Old 07-17-2009, 04:26 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Default Springfield is no paradise..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
You realize that the crappy cities of Camden and Trenton are TINY, right? Like a few square miles. 90% of NJ is very attractive aesthetically. I seriously know nobody who ever goes to Trenton, Camden, or Paterson, for anything.

If you're bringing up the insignificant cities of Camden and Trenton...then I'll bring up the insignificant city of Springfield, MA. Is that an asset to the state of MA?
...but it's still quite a few notches above Camden and Trenton; and ,Trenton is your STATE CAPITAL, not an insignificant little backwater town; you'd think that some attempt at urban renewal might be in order, especially for the state's capital city.

I have no real ax to grind against NJ;( I actually go to a few Devil games every year), but it's just not going to win an "attractiveness" contest against MA, and New England.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:27 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Default Massachusetts vs. New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
The two states with some of the highest taxes, The two states with some of the highest levels of education, The two states with some of the highest incomes, and the two states with an Atlantic Ocean shore line.

Which will it be if you were to pick which is better?
After reading through this thread I think BOTH sides make alot of sense. These two states are pretty close in my mind.

1. If just comparing on a strictly state to state basis I would say MASSACHUSETTS wins over New Jersey for a number of reasons. For example the Berkshires are higher than the Jersey Highlands and they are more isolated for a better "getting away" feeling. Also while the Jersey Coast is famous (and warmer), I like the less developed and more natural coast of Massachusetts better.

2. But if we add location of the state to the equation than NEW JERSEY wins. New Jersey itself offers alot but when you add in easy access to nearby cities and natural areas you have a clear winner. Instead of the Berkshires for instance, New Jersey residents pretty much treat the Poconoes and the Catskills as their home turf.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:38 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

Off topic here but the next time you look across Lake Champlain and see those lofty mountains called the Adirondacks---remember those mountains, 6 million acres of forests and 3,000 lakes are in the.....Mid-Atlantic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City