Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap artists/R&B singers??
New York City 111 40.51%
Los Angeles 58 21.17%
Atlanta 85 31.02%
Miami 13 4.74%
Chicago 47 17.15%
Detroit 37 13.50%
Houston 26 9.49%
Washington, D.C. 7 2.55%
Philadelphia 36 13.14%
Dallas 8 2.92%
St. Louis 12 4.38%
New Orleans 21 7.66%
Baltimore 4 1.46%
Tampa 4 1.46%
Other 28 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:59 AM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Ya if you were a doctor that would be hip hop diagnosis. Lack of balance to where club music and deeper music cant coexist peacefully. I was thinking the main culprit might be the fans. These 90's babies are not holding it down correctly(dont be offended if born post 1990) they are a big reason too
It coexisted. It did in the 90s. In 1994 for instance, we went from Nas memory lane to 69 boyz tootsie roll to Wu tan'g C.R.E.A.M. to SWV's anything (the remix). All four are just different types of feels but two makes you think and two you can party to. IN 2009. Fly- Swag surf to Young LA- Ain't I, to New Boys- You're a jerk to...help me out here. That's the problem.

And yes, you are right. It's the 90s born kids that wants this. It isn't the hip hop heads born in 1987 and back.

Quote:
They may not be from Atlanta but they came to Atlanta to get started or they live in here in Atlanta
Yeah it's best to count people that actually grew up in Atlanta. Not transplants that get started. 8ball and MJG got their start in Houston. But they are from Memphis. Do Or Die also got their start in Houston. But they are from Chicago. No Houstonian would claim 8ball and MJG or Do or die.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:56 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,340,877 times
My vote is for NYC as top producer of both rap and R&B artists. R&B artists come from all over though, it's hard to identify any particular cities as the hotbed. Maybe Chicago and Atlanta follow NYC. Not a big fan of rap music anymore. (C)rappers like soulja boy and lil' wayne have turned me away from alot of mainstream rap. Too many rappers not enough artists.

I do have a sweet tooth for Texas rap; specifically Houston.

YouTube - Yung Chase feat Paul Wall & Slim Thug- Man I'm About

Old 07-18-2009, 02:21 PM

Ouch dangerfield, they are a pretty garbage. Especially Paul Wall lol.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:44 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,081,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It coexisted. It did in the 90s. In 1994 for instance, we went from Nas memory lane to 69 boyz tootsie roll to Wu tan'g C.R.E.A.M. to SWV's anything (the remix). All four are just different types of feels but two makes you think and two you can party to. IN 2009. Fly- Swag surf to Young LA- Ain't I, to New Boys- You're a jerk to...help me out here. That's the problem.

And yes, you are right. It's the 90s born kids that wants this. It isn't the hip hop heads born in 1987 and back.

Yeah it's best to count people that actually grew up in Atlanta. Not transplants that get started. 8ball and MJG got their start in Houston. But they are from Memphis. Do Or Die also got their start in Houston. But they are from Chicago. No Houstonian would claim 8ball and MJG or Do or die.
Alot srtist consider Atlanta home so thats why we count them. There are alot of artist that arent from here that rep the A like T boz from tlc she was born in Demoines Iowa but she reps the A . Then you have some that were born here like kelly rowland and kanye west which we dont claim because they never really grew up here.

Last edited by atlantaATL; 07-18-2009 at 03:14 PM..

Old 07-18-2009, 02:49 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,340,877 times
Quote:
Ouch dangerfield, they are a pretty garbage. Especially Paul Wall lol.
I really won't argue with you about that. lol

Said I had a sweet tooth!

Last edited by First24; 07-18-2009 at 03:07 PM..

Old 07-18-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Alot srtist consider Atlanta home so thats why we count them. There are alot of artist that arent from here that rep the A. Then you have some that were born here like kelly rowland and kanye west which we dont claim because they never really grew up here.
Again, you can't count certain artists to your city just because they transplanted there to get their career started or just bought a house in Atlanta. Nas moved to Atlanta himself, do you count him. Obviously not. I can understand other Georgians or even states that border Georgia claiming Atlanta. But somebody coming from other parts of the country going to other cities to get their start does not necessarily mean they claim that city now.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:10 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,715,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
a bunch of those artists aren't from ATL... lol ..
Actually out of that list.maybe only one or two are not from Atlanta.Anyway,why do people say that when the "same is true for NYC too?".People move to these music places to get discovered.As more music recording and producing gets redistributed,the old faithful standbys are not as relevant as they once were.Its not like every artist that is big is from NYC.Yet people hardly ever bring that up when discussing where artist are from or where their created their craft.That "pompous " attitude is what got NYC and LA ought of whats in now.
Yes ALL genres of music is weaker now.I agree.Lets remember that no matter what you say,All the music that is considered African American is rooted deeply from the "DEEP SOUTH".Those are the roots,however it branched and changed from there is well after the fact.So its not like there is a lack of creativity,its just not what's making money,and unfortuanately,money rules.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:12 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,715,640 times
Quote:
Again, you can't count certain artists to your city just because they transplanted there to get their career started or just bought a house in Atlanta. Nas moved to Atlanta himself, do you count him. Obviously not. I can understand other Georgians or even states that border Georgia claiming Atlanta. But somebody coming from other parts of the country going to other cities to get their start does not necessarily mean they claim that city now.
They do the same in New York and L.A.Michael Jackson was from Gary , Indiana.But most associate him as being from California.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:45 PM

246 posts, read 756,294 times
I still cant believe oakland and/or the bay area is missing from this list. It is at least a top 5 hip-hop region in this country, no doubt. There are other cities listed that have no place here!

Old 07-18-2009, 04:52 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
They do the same in New York and L.A.Michael Jackson was from Gary , Indiana.But most associate him as being from California.
I never heard people associate MJ with California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City