Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap artists/R&B singers??
New York City 111 40.51%
Los Angeles 58 21.17%
Atlanta 85 31.02%
Miami 13 4.74%
Chicago 47 17.15%
Detroit 37 13.50%
Houston 26 9.49%
Washington, D.C. 7 2.55%
Philadelphia 36 13.14%
Dallas 8 2.92%
St. Louis 12 4.38%
New Orleans 21 7.66%
Baltimore 4 1.46%
Tampa 4 1.46%
Other 28 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:43 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
I thought 50 was good until 07 when he sold vitamin water and the money went to his head.

Your statement is 100% on target I blame Diddy for making hip hop a joke. I mean before 97 if you listened and followed hip hop you felt like you were part of a culture and now theres nothing special about it. Scarface is probably one of the best artists from the south. Specifically Cams from Harlem.
I say right after Biggie's death is when it happened towards the summer of 1997. It seemed every artist changed their style. Now you still had artists fight it but around 2002, that's when the culture just gave in. I say they fought it because DMX, Jay-Z, Talib Kweli, Pharaoh Monche (criminally underrated), Outkast, and more was still making some pretty good music. But I was never really a 50 fan. He just seemed to overexaggerate the plagues that existed in the black community and at times he glorified it. Never really felt 50 at all. That's just me though.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:07 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Some people like to make hip-hop lists based on who's more "it" or was or whatever. As a connoisseur, I base it off of influence on the genre at large and the ability to create a seismic shift in music. Think Motown.

1. It will always be New York. Not to put down other cities at all, but how can you argue with the birth place of the genre getting the top spot. Bigger than that though is the influence of it's artists: The Last Poets, Kurtis Blow, Run-DMC, BDP, KRS-One by himself, Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Beastie Boys, Wu-Tang, Eric B. & Rakim just to name a few. Forget how many platinum albums these groups had, they ALL fundamentally changed the way people looked at music.

The second spot, and this is a tough one but I can back it up.

2. Atlanta. Yes, Atlanta is the top dog now in terms of records sold, albums produced, new talent found. Yes there is a incredible amount of crap coming out of Atlanta studios (don't think there isn't crap coming out of New York studios...50 cent and Ja rule(fool) I'm look at y'all). Forgetting all of that, another seismic shift in hip-hop occurred in 1994. With the debut of Outkast and Organized Noise, hip-hop took an entirely new form that was uniquely southern and uniquely Atlantan. Hell, it was uniquely unique. If you doubt this go listen to ATLiens or Soul Food or Aquemini (and subsequent albums). These works have influenced the direction of hip-hop for the last 15 years to a huge extent and in a lot of ways saved hip-hop from it's self destructive ways at the time. On top of that it has evolved not with the times but with musical expansion. No core group of artists in hip-hop can claim the same.

3. Los Angeles. I won't focus on the negatives that West Coast rap eventually spawned but the influence of it's artists, particularly NWA and a solo Dr. Dre reverberate to this day. They took hip-hop in a new, soul funk direction. They only get number three in my book because it hasn't evolved much from it's original form. Not that it's a bad thing, I mean who among us doesn't still chill to The Chronic?

4. Miami. Not because I like it, but no one can dispute the influence 2 Live Crew and Luke have had on "hip-hop" today. Love em or hate em, the groups that dominate the charts today from TI to Soulja boy owe everything they have to them.

Those are my two cents and I'm sure others will disagree. LoL

Old 07-15-2009, 11:18 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Some people like to make hip-hop lists based on who's more "it" or was or whatever. As a connoisseur, I base it off of influence on the genre at large and the ability to create a seismic shift in music. Think Motown.

1. It will always be New York. Not to put down other cities at all, but how can you argue with the birth place of the genre getting the top spot. Bigger than that though is the influence of it's artists: The Last Poets, Kurtis Blow, Run-DMC, BDP, KRS-One by himself, Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Beastie Boys, Wu-Tang, Eric B. & Rakim just to name a few. Forget how many platinum albums these groups had, they ALL fundamentally changed the way people looked at music.

The second spot, and this is a tough one but I can back it up.

2. Atlanta. Yes, Atlanta is the top dog now in terms of records sold, albums produced, new talent found. Yes there is a incredible amount of crap coming out of Atlanta studios (don't think there isn't crap coming out of New York studios...50 cent and Ja rule(fool) I'm look at y'all). Forgetting all of that, another seismic shift in hip-hop occurred in 1994. With the debut of Outkast and Organized Noise, hip-hop took an entirely new form that was uniquely southern and uniquely Atlantan. Hell, it was uniquely unique. If you doubt this go listen to ATLiens or Soul Food or Aquemini (and subsequent albums). These works have influenced the direction of hip-hop for the last 15 years to a huge extent and in a lot of ways saved hip-hop from it's self destructive ways at the time. On top of that it has evolved not with the times but with musical expansion. No core group of artists in hip-hop can claim the same.

3. Los Angeles. I won't focus on the negatives that West Coast rap eventually spawned but the influence of it's artists, particularly NWA and a solo Dr. Dre reverberate to this day. They took hip-hop in a new, soul funk direction. They only get number three in my book because it hasn't evolved much from it's original form. Not that it's a bad thing, I mean who among us doesn't still chill to The Chronic?

4. Miami. Not because I like it, but no one can dispute the influence 2 Live Crew and Luke have had on "hip-hop" today. Love em or hate em, the groups that dominate the charts today from TI to Soulja boy owe everything they have to them.

Those are my two cents and I'm sure others will disagree. LoL
LA and Bay Area both deserve to be on this list and higher than ATL. Honestly, when it comes to quality, ATL isn't a top choice. Its released more crap than good when it comes to mainstream.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:31 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Atl....

Old 07-15-2009, 11:37 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
LA and Bay Area both deserve to be on this list and higher than ATL. Honestly, when it comes to quality, ATL isn't a top choice. Its released more crap than good when it comes to mainstream.
And your reasoning is?

Old 07-15-2009, 11:57 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Lyrically in rapping: NYC and other Northern cities like Chicago

Old 07-16-2009, 01:13 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I agree. Atl is where its at simply because there are two sleeping giants in Nyc and LA, not because atl is actually hot. Atls best music was made in the nineties and it got no shine because new york and la were doing it big than. Atl gotta pop out some classics first.

For instance. This is Atls reign time. In LA's reign , The chronic,doggystyle,all eyes on me,no one can do it better, ice cubes album(forgot the name) came out just to name a few. What bonafide classics hcame from atl in the 2000s

Old 07-16-2009, 01:17 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Bricktown - that's Newark to you hillbillies - even though it's been left off the list. Otherwise, L.A.

Ice T, Redman, Shaq (yes, he's a rapper too!), Queen Latifah, Lauryn Hill, Wyclef Jean and the Fugees... Bricktown. Also, Sabion Glover and Whitney Houston are from this musical city.

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 07-16-2009 at 01:29 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 01:32 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Bricktown - that's Newark to you hillbillies
Ummmm................. It's Brick City.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:34 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City