Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap artists/R&B singers??
New York City 111 40.51%
Los Angeles 58 21.17%
Atlanta 85 31.02%
Miami 13 4.74%
Chicago 47 17.15%
Detroit 37 13.50%
Houston 26 9.49%
Washington, D.C. 7 2.55%
Philadelphia 36 13.14%
Dallas 8 2.92%
St. Louis 12 4.38%
New Orleans 21 7.66%
Baltimore 4 1.46%
Tampa 4 1.46%
Other 28 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:55 PM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
And what I mean about Philly, I'm saying Jill Scott & Musiq are from Philly not Detroit. Don't take them away from Philly's credit.
I know this. All of those artists I listed (Vivian Greene, Jaguar Wright, etc.) are from Philly.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:06 PM

422 posts, read 816,001 times
The cool thing about this thread is nobody is budging. People are hanging on to the 60's, 70's and 80's. Heck, even the 90's. I thought we were discussing TODAY. The Bears have the winningest team in the NFL and also the most Pro Football Hall of Famers. Does that mean they are the best team today? The Celtics and Lakers have 17 and 16 NBA chips apiece, respectively. Please tell me that that qualifies them as the best today.

So, I beg the question, on a thread that is asking about today. How do we quantify the 'best'. In my world, that's through stats and/or results. Say what you want, and unlike many of you, i've spent the past 4 years in Atlanta. Is it all quality? Man, please! Those guys (and girls) for the most part are pathetic. But what I can't discount is that it sells. And like many pure Hip hop heads, I want to hear Jada, Nas and ****** really spit. For some reason, the demographics has changed. Most of us on this thread are older, more mature than the people buying and making music. Therefore, people want to hear what the Dream and Gucci Mane are saying. Not respecting the people who put soul into music. People have changed. Babies are raising babies. R&B is no more. It really died in the late 80's/early 90's with Keith Sweat, Guy, Jodeci and Freddie Jackson. It's sad. I'm sad. This is our world.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:33 PM

958 posts, read 1,198,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
And just to be frank, my favorite (note my favorite) hip hop MC's:

Pac
Jay
Biggie
Nas
Jada
Ross
AZ
UGK
Eminem
TI

Honorable Mention - Outkast, Kanye, Scarface, Eight ball and Styles
Pretty much every part of this post was wrong. You in fact do not measure a player by stats if you actually understand sports and you in fact do not EVER measure an artist by record sales if you in fact know music.

Also.. wow, not a single old-school rapper and a whole lot of crap. Why am I not surprised.

Here's a lesson for you: It's not about what you think or what your opinion is. New York is where hip hop started. They are the authority on it, not you or your city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This thread is ridiculous. There's no reason why Atlanta should be leading Detroit, Chicago or Philadelphia. Can you really say that Atlanta has produced anything on par with Earth Wind & Fire, Curtis Mayfield, Donny Hathaway, the Delfonics, Kenny Gamble, Smokey Robinson, the Temptations, Martha and the Vandellas, etc. I just hope my father never sees this thread. He would have a heartattack. And once he got better, he would track each and every one of you down individually and lecture you about how the 70s produced the greatest era of music known to man.
Agreed.

Quote:
I said that Atlanta has nobody on par with various artists from Detroit, Chicago and Philadelphia, so I listed artists from all three cities.

Nobody's saying Atlanta deserves no recognition at all. It just doesn't deserve to be above Detroit, Chicago or Philadelphia. This is not debatable. Anybody who thinks Atlanta's total music legacy compares to what Chicago, Detroit or Philadelphia produced only during the 1970s is out to lunch.

One Marvin Gaye album trumps the musicianship of all rap ever made. Ever.

Ray Charles and Otis Redding were not from Atlanta.

You could ask Andre Benjamin or Gladys Knight if the Atlanta music scene has made more of an impact than Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, and the Temptations and they would undoubtedly laugh at the question.
Again, agreed.

Quote:
Who? SWV? TLC? Kandi? India Arie? Jagged Edge? 112?

That's so far beneath the O'Jays, the Delfonics, the Blue Notes, the Spinners, and the Stylistics that it's not even funny. Those groups don't even compare to Jaguar Wright, Kindred the Family Soul, Vivian Green, Bilal, the Jazzyfatnastees, Jill Scott, Musiq, etc.
Again, agreed.

It's not about opinion. It's about fact and about history and every era, not just now. I'm only 23 and I know all about old school music in every genre so I don't want to hear people trying to talk about "oh young people only know about post 80s stuff" just because all of these people don't know or respect the history of something they want to claim to be able to talk about.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:36 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
The cool thing about this thread is nobody is budging. People are hanging on to the 60's, 70's and 80's. Heck, even the 90's. I thought we were discussing TODAY. The Bears have the winningest team in the NFL and also the most Pro Football Hall of Famers. Does that mean they are the best team today? The Celtics and Lakers have 17 and 16 NBA chips apiece, respectively. Please tell me that that qualifies them as the best today.

So, I beg the question, on a thread that is asking about today. How do we quantify the 'best'. In my world, that's through stats and/or results. Say what you want, and unlike many of you, i've spent the past 4 years in Atlanta. Is it all quality? Man, please! Those guys (and girls) for the most part are pathetic. But what I can't discount is that it sells. And like many pure Hip hop heads, I want to hear Jada, Nas and ****** really spit. For some reason, the demographics has changed. Most of us on this thread are older, more mature than the people buying and making music. Therefore, people want to hear what the Dream and Gucci Mane are saying. Not respecting the people who put soul into music. People have changed. Babies are raising babies. R&B is no more. It really died in the late 80's/early 90's with Keith Sweat, Guy, Jodeci and Freddie Jackson. It's sad. I'm sad. This is our world.
rofl

Old 02-25-2012, 10:01 AM

422 posts, read 816,001 times
You're a little angry. Consider our conversation muted. No harm;no foul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Pretty much every part of this post was wrong. You in fact do not measure a player by stats if you actually understand sports and you in fact do not EVER measure an artist by record sales if you in fact know music.

Also.. wow, not a single old-school rapper and a whole lot of crap. Why am I not surprised.

Here's a lesson for you: It's not about what you think or what your opinion is. New York is where hip hop started. They are the authority on it, not you or your city.

Agreed.

Again, agreed.

Again, agreed.

It's not about opinion. It's about fact and about history and every era, not just now. I'm only 23 and I know all about old school music in every genre so I don't want to hear people trying to talk about "oh young people only know about post 80s stuff" just because all of these people don't know or respect the history of something they want to claim to be able to talk about.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:15 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:

Nah, R&B/Soul went underground: .::ERIC ROBERSON Presents::.
Eric Roberson Music | 'Love what you do, and do what you love' . 2X Grammy Award Nominee/Singer/Songwriter/Producer/Storyteller...Mister Nice Guy available in stores NOW everywhere!

Choklate | MeMusic.com
Choklate | Seattle, WA | R&B/Soul / Hip Hop, Dance / Jazz, Soul | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

The Official Website of Conya Doss

Darien Brockington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anthony David R&B Bio

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebra_(singer)

Old 02-25-2012, 10:52 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
As for Hip Hop, you have to go underground again: The Mind of Kil Ripkin | Warrior Music. Cosmic Consciousness. Sounds of Freedom.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Maffew Ragazino
Maffew Ragazino

Torae
Torae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Charles Herron Music

I have to put my city on too:

(Parental Discretion perhaps on the last 2)

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-25-2012 at 11:23 AM..

Old 02-25-2012, 11:14 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
You left out the best of Houston rappers - UGK and probably the most influential, DJ Screw.

However, much to your dismay, these artists (except Scarface) were glorified regionally. In order to honestly assess this topic, we must look to facts. Who sold the most records is the primary indicator. And when it comes down to that, the artists hail from NY, LA and Atl.

But, Eminem by himself has made Detroit relevant for discussion.
If we're going to base this soley on album sales; than Lil Wayne and Drake are above all at this point. This discussion is more about quality; not quantity.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:31 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Lol at some of the comments in this thread talking about "the west coast killed hip hop because they glorified the streets" as if the streets never had anything to do with Hip Hop. Newsflash: Hip Hop IS the streets. Who the hell do you think Afrika Bambaataa and the Zulu Nation are? He was the leader of one of the most ruthless street gangs that ever graced NYC (Black Spades). Why do you clowns think that "crews" (read: gangs) were so prevalent in 80's east coast Hip Hop? They were thugging just as much as the West was... you don't know anything about east coast Hip Hop if you say otherwise. Being "conscious" wasn't even a concern in Hip Hop until the late 80's/early 90's... the movement didn't start that way at all. Arguably the first gangsta rapper ever was Schoolly D from (you guessed it) Philadelphia.

ROFL at talking down to us west coasters when some of y'all clearly know nothing about your own backyard.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:53 PM

22 posts, read 77,788 times
Default damn

I can't say. Although the only rappers Im feeling is Panhandoel'r Corp they are based out of Los Angeles and one of their artist is from Shreveport Louisiana and he has lyrics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City