Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metropolitan area is overall better, and would rather live in?
New York metropolitan area 147 50.17%
Los Angeles metropolitan area 107 36.52%
Miami metropolitan area 39 13.31%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:09 PM

594 posts, read 1,199,496 times

Advertisements

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:59 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Looks nice but it's not metro New York.
Yes, yes it is. Those are part of the New York-New Jersey Highlands. My guess is the photos are taken from the Ramapo Mountains section right near the NY/NJ border. Probably from the 45,000+ acre HARRIMAN state park which is 30 miles from New York City.

Large parts of Rockland (1/3rd of the county is parkland), Orange, Sussex, Morris, Passaic (NW section), Somerset and Putnam counties are covered with similar terrain.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:00 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Yes, yes it is. Those are part of the New York-New Jersey Highlands. My guess is the photos are taken from the Ramapo Mountains section right near the NY/NJ border. Probably from the 45,000+ acre HARRIMAN state park which is 30 miles from New York City.

Large parts of Rockland (1/3rd of the county is parkland), Orange, Sussex, Morris, Passaic (NW section), Somerset and Putnam counties are covered with similar terrain.
Like I said, very nice scenery. But I originally said that there are no mountains in the New York City metro area. And I stand by that. Not only is Harriman State Park not in the New York City metro area, but the highest elevation there is 1,433 feet (Prospect Rock).

Compare with Mt. Lowe, at 5,074 feet, which is only 20 miles from Los Angeles or Mt. Wilson (5,710 feet) at 31 miles from Los Angeles.

I have yet to see a map of New York City Metro area which has mountains.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:48 PM

594 posts, read 1,199,496 times
Quote:
Like I said, very nice scenery. But I originally said that there are no mountains in the New York City metro area. And I stand by that. Not only is Harriman State Park not in the New York City metro area, but the highest elevation there is 1,433 feet (Prospect Rock).

Compare with Mt. Lowe, at 5,074 feet, which is only 20 miles from Los Angeles or Mt. Wilson (5,710 feet) at 31 miles from Los Angeles.

New York metropolitan area has mountains, but not in the city itself.
NW NJ has mountains, and upstate NY

Old 08-06-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
New York metropolitan area has mountains, but not in the city itself.
NW NJ has mountains, and upstate NY
Well, again, it would depend on what is considered the metro area. I haven't seen a map which includes any mountains in the NYC metropolitan area.

BTW, the highest elevation in New Jersey is 1,803 feet.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:05 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
I would prefer to live in New York out of the three, followed by Los Angeles, followed by Miami. Miami in all honesty is probably the most fun and most exciting to me. Los Angeles and New York offer more for families.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:18 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:

Ahhh, golly gee willkers. Your just trying to tell me your not sure what counties are in the New York Metro Area!

Anyway, Harriman State Park is just 30 miles northwest of the city. It along with Bear Mountain State Park and the new Sterling Forest SP make up most of the border between Rockland and Orange Counties. The Appalachian trail runs through this area (thats right, pretty close to New York City) and crosses the Hudson not far from West Point, *STORM KING Mountain and then Anthony's Nose on the Westchester County side. On the other side of the Hudson it passes through the Hudson Highlands and another large park, Clarence Fahnestock in Putnam County.

I am not even going to go into detail about Northern New Jersey. But I assure you that Morris, Passaic, Sussex, Bergen & Essex Counties are in the New York Metro and have mountains such as the Highlands and the Watchung Ranges.

* I love that name!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Ahhh, golly gee willkers. Your just trying to tell me your not sure what counties are in the New York Metro Area!

Anyway, Harriman State Park is just 30 miles northwest of the city. It along with Bear Mountain State Park and the new Sterling Forest SP make up most of the border between Rockland and Orange Counties. The Appalachian trail runs through this area (thats right, pretty close to New York City) and crosses the Hudson not far from West Point, *STORM KING Mountain and then Anthony's Nose on the Westchester County side. On the other side of the Hudson it passes through the Hudson Highlands and another large park, Clarence Fahnestock in Putnam County.

I am not even going to go into detail about Northern New Jersey. But I assure you that Morris, Passaic, Sussex, Bergen & Essex Counties are in the New York Metro and have mountains such as the Highlands and the Watchung Ranges.

* I love that name!
Would you post a map showing the NYC metro area? One showing that the counties you mentioned are in the NYC metro area?

Again, the highest point in Harriman state park is 1,433 feet. For comparison, I live at about the 1,000 foot level and I live in a valley!
Mountains are defined by geographers and geologists as having at least one point which is 3,000 feet or higher. Therefore, there are NO mountains in the NYC metro area.

And it would be best that you didn't go into detail about Northern New Jersey. Since the highest point in the entire state is only 1,803 feet, and since it is nowhere near the NYC metro area, there would be no point in going into it in detail.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:40 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Yeah DEFINATELY LA metro 1st, then Miami metro Because I lived there, then NYC.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:05 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,435,497 times
Quote:
Would you post a map showing the NYC metro area? One showing that the counties you mentioned are in the NYC metro area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City