U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:51 PM

3,261 posts, read 7,324,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I wish we had Kroger down here, just for the variety. Publix has the monopoly and while I'll admit (OK), they don't "suck" per se, I would love to have a few alternatives, in terms of grocery shopping. We do have Whole Foods and Winn-Dixie, but Whole Foods is for uber-rich people and Winn-Dixie is far too small/cramped for my liking.
In Dallas there are tons of Kroger stores!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 11:54 PM

4,187 posts, read 9,545,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I wish we had Kroger down here, just for the variety. Publix has the monopoly and while I'll admit (OK), they don't "suck" per se, I would love to have a few alternatives, in terms of grocery shopping. We do have Whole Foods and Winn-Dixie, but Whole Foods is for uber-rich people and Winn-Dixie is far too small/cramped for my liking.
Dont they have wal marts that are strictly grocery stores in south FL? they do in cent FL

Old 07-18-2009, 12:16 AM

3,970 posts, read 10,791,396 times
Safeway is also Dominicks in the Chicagoland area. Same thing. Frequent shopper cards work at both.

Safeway is decent quality, prices are average, nothing wrong with this chain. It is odd how they seem to have specific regions of the country, and skip over areas left and right.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:52 AM

17,661 posts, read 29,548,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
*everything* sucks compared to wegmans..
I agree; I would KILL to have Wegmans in the SE!

Old 07-18-2009, 11:13 AM

17,623 posts, read 23,994,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Consumer Reports just rated the top 10 supermarkets in America from 59 national and regional chains in the latest issue...here are the results from reader surveys:

1. Wegmans
2. Trader Joe's
3. Publix
4. Raley's
5. Harris Teeter
6. Fareway
7. Costco
9. Whole Foods Market
10. (tie) WinCo Foods and Stater Bros

Worst supermarkets for:

Price: Whole Foods and Giant Eagle
Service: Walmart Supercenter and Waldbaum's
Perishables: Walmart Supercenter
Cleanliness: Waldbaum's
Can't believe HEB wasn't listed. Because I'll take HEB over half of the grocery stores on this list including Publix, Harris Teeter, Costco, and Whole Foods (too expensive)

Old 07-18-2009, 11:17 AM

12,394 posts, read 22,412,787 times
Whole foods is actually good for some items, their 365 brands of pasta/frozen fruit/veggies sauces etc. beat big chain grocery prices and their selection of bulk bin items is also cheaper. Now their specialty items, produce and meat/seafood... OUCH!
I usually get the above from whole foods, specialty items, produce/meat/nuts/wine/beer and seafood from trader joes, the rest from indian/asian stores and use the big box retailers for stuff like toilet paper/detergent/dish soap/shaving cream, etc. when they run a sale.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:26 AM

15,989 posts, read 28,311,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Can't believe HEB wasn't listed. Because I'll take HEB over half of the grocery stores on this list including Publix, Harris Teeter, Costco, and Whole Foods (too expensive)
I was saying the same thing, but the thing with H.E.B is is that their customer service is not consistent from store to store. Maybe that's why. Also H.E.B is a private company.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:56 PM

258 posts, read 211,314 times
Shoprite in New York and New Jersey is by far my favorite super market. Price Chopper is also excellent and Pathmark is pretty good as well, all better and less expensive than Publix. In Florida, Publix is much better than rival Winn Dixie which is probably one fo the worst.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:20 PM

771 posts, read 1,092,772 times
When I lived in Florida and went to Publix for the first time, I was amazed. I found in general that Publix stores are clean and have friendly, fast service.

The choices for groceries in greater Pittsburgh is pathetic. For such a large area, the grocery store choices are limited and what we have are average to say the least. Giant Eagle has a monopoly here and it pales in comparison to Publix. I find myself shopping at Super WalMart for groceries.

I wish Publix would come north or Wegmans further west.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:21 PM

47,354 posts, read 67,289,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
two different regions, but which one do you think is a better grocery store, quality wise, price wise, environment wise etc.
Neither....It's all about Wegmans:Wegmans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City