U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 04:28 PM

404 posts, read 839,886 times

Advertisements

Randall's too maybe? They are owned by Safeway.

I think I saw a Publix in San Diego and the Tampa area too, but I'm not too sure. I miss my Albertsons from the PNW.

Here in Houston, it seems like everyone shops at Wal Mart. They are sort of like a Starbucks shop in Seattle.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 04:30 PM

324 posts, read 521,747 times
I live for publix

Old 04-30-2010, 05:21 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,043,553 times
Publix!

Their Cakes, Deli Sandwiches and Sweet Tea are the best.

Also, their stores are usually consistent in terms of cleanliness and service. I've rarely been to an outright dirty Publix. Kroger on the other hand... When Kroger is good, they're great, but when they're bad, they're HELLA BAD.

That being said, I tend to do my main shopping at Kroger more because it tends to be cheaper than Publix. I'll go to Publix to get additional items though.

I'm familiar with Safeway because I have relatives in the DC area and California (Vons is the SoCal version of Safeway). Like Kroger, I find them to be hit or miss. I've been to some nice ones, but I've been to a few where it seems hope goes to die. Also, I find a lot of them too dimly lit.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:26 PM

3,261 posts, read 7,274,593 times
What is Publix?????

Old 04-30-2010, 05:55 PM

4,187 posts, read 9,468,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Publix!

Their Cakes, Deli Sandwiches and Sweet Tea are the best.

Also, their stores are usually consistent in terms of cleanliness and service. I've rarely been to an outright dirty Publix. Kroger on the other hand... When Kroger is good, they're great, but when they're bad, they're HELLA BAD.

That being said, I tend to do my main shopping at Kroger more because it tends to be cheaper than Publix. I'll go to Publix to get additional items though.

I'm familiar with Safeway because I have relatives in the DC area and California (Vons is the SoCal version of Safeway). Like Kroger, I find them to be hit or miss. I've been to some nice ones, but I've been to a few where it seems hope goes to die. Also, I find a lot of them too dimly lit.
Their subs are delicious too, I also like the little cooking stations they have set up in every store. They're staff is always friendly and the stores are always nice no matter where you go, I've never seen a bad publix. Their commercials are always up lifting too.

The thing about publix is that they always have different items on sale. If you shop the sales you end up paying the same amount you would be paying at wal-mart.

Last edited by GLS2010; 04-30-2010 at 06:12 PM..

Old 04-30-2010, 06:13 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,043,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
What is Publix?????
Hasn't it been obvious what we're talking about by now, it's been 7 pages already.

Let me google that for you

Old 04-30-2010, 06:26 PM

3,261 posts, read 7,274,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Hasn't it been obvious what we're talking about by now, it's been 7 pages already.

Let me google that for you
I know it is a supermarket, is it more like a Kroger or Whole Foods?

Old 04-30-2010, 07:57 PM

404 posts, read 839,886 times
Kroger AFAIK. Whole Foods is unlike anything else. Maybe that's just their prices I'm talking about?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,896 times
Publix is a class operation in terms of merchandising, cleanliness, customer service and yes, weekly specials including buy-one-get-one. They are based in the southeast, originally just a Florida grocer, but expanding aggressively into the Carolinas, Tennessee, etc. And for good reason! I stray to Aldi on occasion but NEVER to Wal-Mart. Publix rules! They compete successfully against Wal-Mart because they have established their niche---a total commitment to quality and customer service. This comes from a former Safeway employee.........from the DC Division.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:22 PM

3,732 posts, read 6,477,357 times
To all my Jersey people...Grand Union, Shoprite, A&P, and Pathmark FTW! Lol. I miss some of those stores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City