Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:49 PM

18,965 posts, read 32,481,033 times

Advertisements

Florida is more tropical than CA and IMO does have a better variety of palms, especially the coconut palm, one of my favorite palm trees. It's beaches are warmer, nicer, and have better sand too. Gotta give FL credit where credit is due and this is one of those cases. I wish CA could grow the variety of palms and tropical foliage in general that FL can, especially the coconut palm.

Do they have many queen palms in FL? I haven't see too many of those in pics and they have a ton in Southern CA.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:57 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,310,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Florida is more tropical than CA and IMO does have a better variety of palms, especially the coconut palm, one of my favorite palm trees. It's beaches are warmer, nicer, and have better sand too. Gotta give FL credit where credit is due and this is one of those cases. I wish CA could grow the variety of palms and tropical foliage in general that FL can, especially the coconut palm.

Do they have many queen palms in FL? I haven't see too many of those in pics and they have a ton in Southern CA.
Yep, a bunch (those are my faves).

They grow pretty much from North Central Florida on down. The Northern reaches of the State get too cold for them.

I must say, all of you Californians are being very classy in this thread.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:01 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

For sure. I have quite a large queen palm in my back yard. Best palm on my property. Here are some in Florida

Old 07-27-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yep, a bunch (those are my faves).

They grow pretty much from North Central Florida on down. The Northern reaches of the State get too cold for them.

I must say, all of you Californians are being very classy in this thread.
I agree.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:33 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,615,340 times
Default None of these are naturally occuring palms

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
For sure. I have quite a large queen palm in my back yard. Best palm on my property. Here are some in Florida

They were all up to the developer as to what they wanted to plant. Now if you post a pix of a swamp or the Everglades, then you can say those are palms that are native to the place.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
They were all up to the developer as to what they wanted to plant. Now if you post a pix of a swamp or the Everglades, then you can say those are palms that are native to the place.
Got any proof to back up this ridiculous claim?

Old 07-27-2009, 02:38 PM

Default Pools? Stadiums?

Quote:
Got any proof to back up this ridiculous claim?
People have to built those and clear land to put them up. Do you really think they build AROUND trees when they clear land for development. Hey, I got a few palms on my property. I have pix when they were building the house. There was NOTHING there. They PUT those palms in.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
People have to built those and clear land to put them up. Do you really think they build AROUND trees when they clear land for development. Hey, I got a few palms on my property. I have pix when they were building the house. There was NOTHING there. They PUT those palms in.
What absolutely bizarre logic. You claimed that outside of swamps and the Everglades, that none of Florida's palms are naturally occuring.

So, I guess you're telling us that the beautiful coconut palms, queen palms, etc. that dot the coastline were all planted by developers?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Did I say they were naturally occuring? NO . We are not on that Naturally occuring palm argument anymore . Someone asked if there were queen palms in Florida and I said yes and posted some pictures. That is not to say I haven't seen any queen palms, although not native to florida, growing without human intervention in the woods, or a field, because I have. you should read back before jumping into and trying to start an argument.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-29-2009 at 04:19 AM.. Reason: name-calling

Old 07-27-2009, 02:49 PM

Default Yes many of them WERE

Quote:
What absolutely bizarre logic. You claimed that outside of swamps and the Everglades, that none of Florida's palms are naturally occuring.

So, I guess you're telling us that the beautiful coconut palms, queen palms, etc. that dot the coastline were all planted by developers?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There a church near where I used to work. Walking distance to the beach. They had coconut palms. They used to have DAISIES were the palms where. I watched them as they brought in the palms, dug up the daisies, etc.

I also watched as they dug up the flowers on the median in the road where I live. They took MONTHS with the construction. Planted palms all along it. Even WATERED them every day.

Geesch. They build houses, pools, stadiums, AROUND palms already there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City