Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which building do you like better?
The Chrysler Building 61 74.39%
The Hancock Center 21 25.61%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 04:38 PM

5 posts, read 10,139 times

Advertisements

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

That Hancock thing is so ugly and the Chrysler Building is like a stunning piece of art.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 06:18 PM

65 posts, read 189,909 times
The Chrysler building is one of the best skyscrapers in the world.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:43 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,899,463 times
The Hancock building is ugly, imo. I still remember being in awe of the Chrysler building the first time I went to New York.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,449 times
Chyrsler is crap along with the rest of New York.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:50 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,269,028 times
I like the Hancock but the chrysler is STUNNING!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:29 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,993,970 times
Hancock is much better looking than Sears but still doesn't compare to Chrysler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Which building do you like better?

Old 07-21-2009, 07:57 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,269,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Hancock is much better looking than Sears but still doesn't compare to Chrysler.
they call it big willie now (aka wilis tower) lol
But ima still call it sears just cause willis dont sound right

Old 07-21-2009, 08:04 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,805,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
they call it big willie now (aka wilis tower) lol
But ima still call it sears just cause willis dont sound right
You are right, Willis doesnt sound right I liked the original name.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,611,776 times
I LOVE the Hancock Center. IMO, the best looking building in Chicago.

But I will have to go with Chrysler. No, this doesn't have to do with the fact that I live in New York.

Chrysler simply has one of the best hats not only in Manhattan, but in the world.

That classical setbacks, the beautiful eagles, even the automobiles that goes around the corners, this building is truely a work of art.

Also, it is a subject of one of the greatest stories in skyscraper building:

The architects of the Chrysler Building and 40 Wall St., were racing to build the world's tallest. 40 Wall St was complete at 927 ft.,replacing the Woolworth Building at 792 ft., and beating out Chysler's planned 925 ft.

However, the builders of Chysler, secretly changed the projected height of the building, and assembled a 125 foot spire, and hoisting into place. Thus becoming the first building over 1,000 ft in height, and the world's tallest building.

The things men will do for pride.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:59 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,974,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
I LOVE the Hancock Center. IMO, the best looking building in Chicago.

But I will have to go with Chrysler. No, this doesn't have to do with the fact that I live in New York.

Chrysler simply has one of the best hats not only in Manhattan, but in the world.

That classical setbacks, the beautiful eagles, even the automobiles that goes around the corners, this building is truely a work of art.

Also, it is a subject of one of the greatest stories in skyscraper building:

The architects of the Chrysler Building and 40 Wall St., were racing to build the world's tallest. 40 Wall St was complete at 927 ft.,replacing the Woolworth Building at 792 ft., and beating out Chysler's planned 925 ft.

However, the builders of Chysler, secretly changed the projected height of the building, and assembled a 125 foot spire, and hoisting into place. Thus becoming the first building over 1,000 ft in height, and the world's tallest building.

The things men will do for pride.
Great tidbit of knowledge! This one of the best examples of art-deco architecture. The top really gives the building a temple look. The Hancock center is a very good design for the time in which it was built, probably closer to a post-modern style. But compared to the classic art-deco, and some of the more recent modern buildings we are starting to see, it doesn't compare. It has the parts of the structure that act as design, but it does not really have the decorative pieces that you see in older and sometimes new architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City